Wading boots that stand up to hiking.

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

I'm looking to get a quality set of boots since I trashed mine in only a few months. Will go Simms, patagonia, etc this time. I have a lot in mind, but would really like some first hand experience, and specifically want a boot that will not tear up with some hiking to streams. Even big water I usually like to walk a ways to get away from people, and I enjoy headwater brook and brown streams as well. If anyone wants to throw out some suggestions I would appreciate it and any testimonial. PS. Thanks to krayfish2 for the message last time around with some tips and links when I was reviewing my current boots from Field and Stream (came recommended, but long story short, sole is great, boot fell apart/tore way too easy) and set me down the right path. Have been shopping around and looking for a deal while I get a little more use out of my junky investment.

I would suggest a vibram soled boot ( as opposed to felt soles)
As for brands, I've heard good and bad about almost all of them.
Bean has the best warranty in the business, and would be worth looking at for sure.

It's a good time of year to buy gear. Many places have end of season closeout sales now.

Surprisingly, my Cabelas Guidewear boots have taking a helluva beating so far. I fish the same style as you (lots of hiking on headwater stream) and theyve been super comfortable. I was going to go for a more expensive name brand pair but these were on some kind of super blowout last year model clearance thing so I figured Ive give em a go for the price. Ive put a ton of miles on them and they are staying together pretty well.

Would I pay full price for them when they are the same price as a pair of Simms or Patagonia's? No. But I would definitely keep an eye out for a blowout sales of last years gear and see what pops up.

Thanks guys! Yes I forgot to mention I am going with some studden rubber this time around, and will keep my beat up felt ones for the occasion I need them.

I will check those out, thanks!

I just retired a pair of Simms Guide series boots. I've put them through many miles of hiking/wading the past 5-6 years. Now they aren't the only pair I have, but I feel they held up well enough to recommend them. I also have the Riversheds which I have not used as much. They are holding up just fine. Recently picked up the G3 boots which seem to replace the Guides.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have been looking at those too.

Simms "Guide" boots. They are great for hikes. They fit well, offer good support and are tough.

Simms guide boots/thread

The soles will wear out before the boot falls apart. Also, I haven't had a carbide cleat fall out in three years in mine.

Th vibram on mine is pretty bald right now in places but I think I should get another year out of mine. 3 years out of pair of boots is pretty good for me when I never had a pair last more then one full season..

Simms Vapor

I have hiked 14 miles in one day using my Korker KGB boots. Being prior military I appreciate a quality boot. They aren't even close to showing signs of wear and I have beat them up pretty good. I know it isn't a Simms boot but the removable soles are a super nice feature and the quality is there. The only thing that is wearing is my laces from tying them up so much to use them.

For taking a beating, the wraparound rubber on the Simms Rivershed seems to hold up. Like someone else mentioned, the bigger issue is the rubber soles wearing out before the upper. They are lightweight too. I'm on my second pair of G3 boots. First lasted around 7 years. I wore them about 6 months past 'end of life'. LOL. They will come up higher on the ankle giving more support but may be clunkier for long hikes when compared to Rivershed. Anyone out there with serious miles on a pair of Riversheds?

Korkers hethe advantage of the replacement soles but isnt enough to sway me. Still stuck on image of guy losing sole every 5 steps on SR when the boots first came out. He eventually went swimming with an air temp of 26.

Chotas sole is a bit more aggressive for tread and by all accounts is a solid boot.

LL Bean does have killer warranty.

Lots to consider.

I agree with durability of simms rivershed for hiking. but they are expensive, maybe $180, heavyish, and the soles dont flex well.

I use old model patagonia riverwalkers with the rubber sticky sole for hiking. can sometimes find new ones on the Bay for $100.

dont see any right now,,, these are from ireland

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patagonia-Riverwalker-Wading-Boots-Sticky-Sole-/141763396991

I am sure the riverwalkers are less durable than the simms riversheds. but they weigh much less, and flex like really nice lightweight hiking boots.

just a guess, but maybe the life in miles of the riverwalkers is half the life in miles of the of riversheds? if so, it doesnt really cost that much more to use them, and they are much nicer to hike in.

(btw the old patagonia riverwalkers are lighter than their ultralight model boots.)

You may want to consider weight, which will definitely translate to comfort and a lack of fatigue. The Patagonia boots are very light and have been lasting me very well. I fish once a week and truck.

Boomer wrote:
I have hiked 14 miles in one day using my Korker KGB boots. Being prior military I appreciate a quality boot. They aren't even close to showing signs of wear and I have beat them up pretty good. I know it isn't a Simms boot but the removable soles are a super nice feature and the quality is there. The only thing that is wearing is my laces from tying them up so much to use them.

I thought they were quality when I purchased my KGB less than a year ago. Used them maybe twenty times and then noticed the knob on the back with the K on it that the soles attached to was cracked on one boot and pulling out on the other. The laces went on the one boot (why can't fishing boot manufacturers spend an extra dollar and include a lace that is made of a material that holds up!?!?!) and the knob on the back pulled out completely two weeks ago. As a result, I left my sole in Potter County somewhere. If anyone finds it, I'll pay postage to have it returned. Good thing it's God's Country up there..

kray - the original Korkers definitely had design flaws with the Omnitrax v1 soles. Once the boots had some use on them, the soles definitely flopped off. After some time in the water, that Velcro safety strap on the back was worthless to hold the sole on. I think they got it right with the third generation, but I've had issues with the sole delaminating from the plastic (in addition to the issue described above).

I fished with a pair of shoes that K-bob mentions (older style Patagonia Riverwalkers) this past weekend, and spent the majority of the time slip sliding away. Replaced the Kold Kutter screws I was using twice and they pulled out quickly.

So I'm currently researching gear with the same criteria that the OP is looking for.

salmonoid... interesting, were those riverwalkers felt or rubber sole? (see below, they were made with 2 types of rubber soles).

I find the onstream grip of riverwalkers to be good using the rubber/sticky sole boots with a lot of orvis carbide studs with four points. ... havent had many studs come out and I find they are very nice to walk in. boots are light and the soles flex... of course studs can skate on smooth rock.

...riverwalkers had two types of soles> not so good:

http://www.dadofalltrades.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/80301.1_preview1.jpg

and good/"sticky"... I'm using these ones>

http://yorkshiredalesflyfishing.blogspot.com/2012/10/patagonia-riverwalker-review.html

Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I was leaning hard towards the simms guide boots before, but would definitely go for something a little lighter and or cheaper if the quality was still there. Will continue looking at the suggestions you posted, the first hand experience and discussion is very helpful.

Wear running shoes instead of boots. Buy oversize, remove insert.

weight one boot size 9 or 10:

simms rivershed: 30 oz
patagonia ultralight: 21 oz
patagonia rivershed: 19 oz.

if anyone has a store that stocks the pata-g ultralights and simms riversheds, both still on market, try flexing the soles of each boot. (if not, the patagonias are more flexible). then imagine that the riversheds flex a bit more flexible than the ultralights.

(detail: I believe that the patagonia ultralights were only ever made with the sticky rubber sole, not the smoother one used some on riversheds that I show in a previous post. if buying riversheds online, Id try to avoid that smooth sole)

Ill repeat that the simms riversheds seem more durable. I had a pair with worn out vibram soles and uppers that looked great. I now wonder if that's really a good thing. boots that dont resist the flex of the foot when you walk might wear more above the sole with use?

I love my G3 guide boots by simms. I wore a pair of korkers for years and never lost a sole either, but it is clear that the Simms are a much better boot. The Vapor was made for hiking/wading specifically so it may be worth a look. Less expensive than the guide boots too.

Back