Wading boots (light weight)

sundrunk

sundrunk

I've got a four year old pair of Simms Freestones which have forfilled their service to me. They were a big heavy dependable boot. How ever my dogs would bark all season long wearing them. The plastic leather constricted my feet. They never really broke in.

I've looked a that big Chotas, Simms, Orvis, Korkers and all of the rest of them. I heard the Korkers did not live up to their design concept. But they sure seem nice on paper. The Chotas seem to take the comfort approach. The Simms line just seem's to heavy. I'm looking for a light weight wading boot that offers plenty of ankle support and comfort.

-Neil

I got these a few years ago as an emergency replacement:

http://tinyurl.com/393wwc

I have found them more than adequate-- so much so that when I needed a studded pair for bigger water, I got the same ones with studs. Can't beat the price, either.

BTW, I can't figure out what your avatar is. Any insight?

I'm on my second pair of Chota's. They really have been like lightweight hiking boots for me. Because they are natural material, the leather did eventually give out on them...it was about 10 years though. I replaced the felt on them only once. (and I'm not really known for taking great care of my equipment) But they were good enough that I got a second pair (but with studs this time)

I've heard but have no firsthand knowledge that Cloudveil is out with a lightweight boot. You will probably sacrifice ankle protection if you go this route.

Dear Neil,

Here is another vote for the Cabela's Ultralights. $ 60.00 with studs is an unbeatable price and the shoes are well made and very light. I replaced Simms studded Freestones with these boots and I'm glad I did, the pair weighs wet what one Simms boot weighs dry.

The only negative, and it is a problem with every synthetic wading boot I've owned, is that they sometimes are difficult to put on when they are fully dry because they shrink a bit. Once you get them on and wear them in the water they are fine though.

I'll buy them for as long as Cabelas contunues to make them and never look at another boot.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

A buddy of mine has the Cabelas boots and I would have to agree with everyone's comments. For the money they are very tough to beat. I've found that in general, the boots dubbed as "lightweights" from Simms, Orvis, LL Bean, Cabelas or wherever all have a narrow last, which unfortunately means I can't wear them. I have had one pair of Chotas and although they are extremely comfortable, the ankle support didn't cut it for back country angling IMHO.

If anyone's got suggestions for lightweight boots that have a wider last, I'd appreicate either a PM or a post here. Sorry for the threadjack.

Dear jaybo,

I wear a size 12 EEEE shoe and my Cabelas in a size 13 fit me just fine. If I'm not mistaken, they are offering them in wide sizes now too?

Regards,

I have a pair of korkers. Like anything else, there are good and bad points. The best concept is the interchangable soles. Now they came out with a new design for this year and the soles look more durable and that would be my only complaint. The felt soles did not hold up but they do tell you not to walk more than 1/2 mile or so in them out of the water. I guess, I put 4 times that much on them every time I go out. Other than that they are awesome and I would recomend them to anyone who needs boots and doesn't want to but three different pair with three different soles.

...A bad day fishing is better than a good day working!!!

Ideally, one would have a few pairs of boots for different situations. I'm a big fan of the Chotas SLTs, very comfortable, reasonable support. I also have a pair of backup Bite boots with two kinds of screw-in spikes: metal and plastic golf-style. The Bites are definitely lightweight and a good choice if you intend to cover some serious ground during the day. However, they are simply terrible in the ankle support category. Always a trade off of sorts, but in the end I'll take a heavy, substantial boot most of the time if I'm spending more time in the water, than stumbling along the shoreline or on hiking trails. The day you seriously turn/sprain your ankle will be the day you forget about light, soft boots and get back to serious support!
I recently picked up a pair of the old-style Simms guide boots, felties, for only $99, including shipping. Hard to beat since the new ones retail for $159. Mr. Murphy makes a good point about needing to wet some brands of boots before using. I carry small bottles of water for this purpose, since the garage in my Jeep usually has some floating around from bird season with the setters.
Finally, for pure warmth you can't beat bootfoot neoprenes for winter steelheading. They'll keep you on the water longer. But, don't expect much support, but this is usually not a problem on Erie creeks.
Mark

Thanks for the link Jay. Those Cabeles look nice, thank you all.

Jay,

That mess of an avatar is a bunch of Green Drakes hanging around my tying gear, one night on Penns. I had to shrink down the size., thats what was left. Now you know.

Have you ever considered screwing spikes in to the bottom of those light weight cabeles.

I had a pair of the lightweight Cabelas boots. I probably needed the wide width because I stared poping the seams after about a year. I added hex head sheet metal screws myself for studs and I was very happy with the results. Get some ice-racing studs if you want to add studs. link

sundrunk wrote:
Have you ever considered screwing spikes in to the bottom of those light weight cabeles.

Dear sundrunk,

I met a couple of people who screwed aluminum sheet metal screws into their felt soles including a guy who did it to a pair of Cabela's lightweights. They were happy with the results.

Myself, I figure time is money and if you spend the money to buy actual carbide wading shoe spikes for about $ 11.95 a package it doesn't make sense since you can already have spiked Cabela's lightweight shoes from Cabela's for only $ 10.00 more.

If you are a sheetmetal worker and/or have plenty of screws laying around then go for it otherwise buy them already spiked.

Regards,

I agree with Tim. Pay the extra $10. It's worth it.

i had 2 pr of the hodgman bantams, do not recomend them. i also had the old style korkers, liked them until the soles started to fail. then got the new style, korkers gave them to me for 1/2 off, and they much improved and 1/2 the weight. i also had the chota slt as back-ups, these are really nice too. about the korkers, i wear a 13 shoe but need a 15, i went to there headquaters in portland ( happened to be in town) and talked to them and suggestsed they need to make there shoes bigger and wider. the chotas are about a 1/2 side larger than stated. felt studs are great for normal use but in snow or mud they are a pain. that's why i like the korkers, change the sole for the type of terrain you're in.

Back