Wading boot repair/glue recommendations

O

ocfisher

I have a pair of Beans wading boots and the midsole is seperating from the leather upper. They are in good shape otherwise, so I would like to repair them and keep on keeping on. So far I have tried 527 Glue and Construction adhesive, but neither held up for more than a few hours. Anybody have the secret? Thanks.

How old are they? Or how many times have they been on the water?

You may have to fold the sole down enough to tear up both sides for a better application. Think sand paper, a knife, or both. But if youre going that route you may have to do a few layers, basically building off of each other until youre not only gluing the inside but creating a couple "wrap around layers" on the sides of the boot, too. If you do that you may even want to use something heavier on the final outside layer.

You mau be SOL regardless. Thats a tough break for a boot.

Mostly because I am both cheap and stubborn, I've probably "repaired" as many wading boots as anybody. Within reason, it can almost always be done. But you need to reconcile yourself to the fact that virtually any repair you make is going to be temporary and you'll have to do it again and again until you get tired of doing it and get another pair of boots. All the same, a well thought out and executed repair can last a couple hundred hours of wear time or more, depending on the extent of the original damage, etc.

So far as adhesives, I've had acceptable luck with: Aquaseal, Goop, various marine epoxies and even Gorilla Glue (mind its tendency to expand though..). I think David's suggestion to consider adding some new material to serve as a host/enhancement for the bond is real good advice. The other thing I would suggest is that whenever you repair a pair of shoes, always make a last or something to simulate the shoe in use in terms of shape. I generally use wads of newspaper stuffed to completely fill the shoe. This can make a big difference in the durability of your repair.

In the end though, once the original seams/bonds begin to fail, you're on the downhill side of the slope and the best you can do is delay final failure for a while. I've always enjoyed seeing how long I can keep them going though....

Get some plastic weld from the auto parts store(meth acrylic)Very similar to plexus 300. It sets up very quickly less than 5 min at 80*f full cure in about 1/2 hour. Bonds dissimilar materials very well. Don't use a lot as it heats up to cure. About $6 a tube.

I have used aquaseal with some success, definitely more than a few hours, but like stated above it is temporary.

Cobbler/shoe repair guy?

http://www.rmresole.com/wading.html

Not seeing the boot, the HOW is your game, but as for glue; Gorilla or Aqua Seal.

Now, being as they are from LL Bean, you could send them back for replacement. So you could go with that.

Syl

Use Goop. That works great. Gorilla glue can be messy.

Thanks to all for the suggestions-goop was my next plan of attack. I picked up some felt ultralights on super sale last weekend (forgot how good felt is) and these will likely be winter duty only from now on. Got them on sale too, so not comfortable asking for replacement, but refund is always a possibility.

Ive tried Aquaseal, E6000, Goop, Shoe Goo, ect on wading boots before. All kinda work as mentioned above. I got a few extra months outta my last pair of wading boots by slathering adhesive all over them.

My current pair of Orvis boots are starting to split where the sole and mid sole meet, I scuffed the 2 sections up with 8o grit sand paper then cleaned it up really good. This time, I used some JB Weld. Maybe itll last longer than all the other #censor# Ive tried. If not, Ill try Gorilla Glue next.

I have a pair of hunting boots that the sole completely fell off of. I had good luck using Gorilla Glue to repair them so I image it would work on wading boots too.

I just reglued the felt that was peeling off my Korker interchangeable soles with Gorilla Glue. Seems to have held up fine after the first outing.

I put new felt bottoms on my boots recently. I read online that Barge Cement was the ultimate adhesive for this job. So far so good.

albatross wrote:
I put new felt bottoms on my boots recently. I read online that Barge Cement was the ultimate adhesive for this job. So far so good.
My buddy of mine who is a shoemaker and has done tons of work for me over the years (none of which that has ever failed) affirms this suggestion, although he did say Barge isn't as good as it used to be.

Bottom line: Try contact cement, the choice of cobblers everywhere!

It's flexible, waterproof but requires proper application and time to set.

goop- best I have found as a shop owner

Agree 1000%. Goop is the best I've found. imh, better than Barge Cement

Well, never mind about Gorilla Glue, after about the 4th use since the repair, it gave up and the felt pealed off while out on the Susky this morning. Of course, this happened at about the furtherest point from where I put in, long wade back to shore...

JB Weld didnt hold up too well either. I put a few miles on my boots and the JB Weld let loose.

Back