Waders that ARENT BS?

mute

mute

So in my years of fishing ive probably blew through 5 or so pairs of waders. Starting with $60 neoprenes from walmart. Moving up to ****s sporting goods and French creek outfitters brands ( FroggToggs ).

Every pair it seems after a year or two end up leaking. Either a tear at the thigh area or in the foot\heel. So my question would be since i probably already spent $600 on waders which all went to the garbage, can anyone reccomend a brand that A) either can withstand years of fishing. Or B.) I can easily return them where I bought them and not try to deal with a RMA process and sending them out to the company for diagnosis, etc.

Simms. Made in US. Not cheap but high quality and stand behind.

^That.

After five years of heavy use my Simms look like hell but only have minor pin-prick leaks from thorns and such.

My previous pair of Simms lasted nearly as long.

I'm lucky if I've gotten three years combined use out of all the others waders I've owned.

I also vote for Simms. Expensive but I too have only had pinpricks from thorns or whatever. Great construction and good fit.

I am in year three for mine with only the minor problems mentioned.

$40 Proline felt sole hippers will last up to 3 years with proper care. I don't wade any deeper anymore

My first pair of Simms Lightweights ($200.00) took me through 11 seasons, my current Simms Riversheds'($250.00) have 6 seasons on them. I don't care what brand of wader someone may buy, but I believe getting a set of waders to last is 1) how well they fit, Simms,Orvis and Patagonia seem to have the best standard sizes that fit most body types and 2) How you care for your waders. After each fishing trip I turn my waders inside out and get them dried out. Mold is what kills breathable materials and tape seams on waders. Its worked well for me.

Simms lightweights 7+ years of abuse and still have they stinky / leaky things for hot weather wading. Current Simms g3 waders are starting season 7 or 8. They have a cigar burn on the crotch and still don't leak. They show no signs of giving up anytime soon. Prior to going to Simms, I did Hodgeman, Red Ball, etc and they were always done after one season.

Another vote for spending a little (or a lot) more. They will last. The old saying 'you get what you pay for'.

Buying waders, for me, is a personal preference thing, just like a pair of hunting boots. What might work for one person may not work for another. I have had some very bad experiences with some very well known brand name waders, but I know some other individuals who swear by the very same waders that I had my bad experience with. Narrow down your selection, then go get fitted for them. Wear what you would wear while fishing too. One brand of waders size large may not be another brand name waders size large. So go get fitted because everyone body is different!! With that said, my vote is for Orvis Sonic convertible top waders. Best of luck with your choice!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like i might have to look at dropping $250 on SIMMS. French creek outfitters here in Chester county seems to be the only place that carries them. Anyone suggest anywhere else close to the King of Prussia \ Philly area that are good prices? I would just buy a pair online...but kind of need them by next week.

If your location of Norristown is the Norristown near Philly, the Simms website indicates that there is a TCO shop within ten miles of you.

Go there.

My first pair of cabelas dry plus waders lasted 10 years of heavy use. They developed a small leak somewhere in in heal, and I was so pleased with them I bought another pair. Not bad for $135. (Or free with my cabelas bucks)

didn't know there was a shop in Bryn Mawr, I'll check it out

Ohhhh, the wonders of the internet.

If you have ever been fitted for a tux or sport jacket, you'll have an idea of chest / girth. Know your inseam and shoe size then go to Simms site. Look at fitting chart and boom! You'll know where to start when trying them on at a shop.

Several places had headwaters on closeout but you might be late to the party to find any of those left ...unless you ate S, M or XXL.

Try them on before you buy. Make sure they fit well when you are crouching, crawling, stepping up, kneeling, climbing over something, anything you'll potentially do while fishing. Make sure you get a proper fit and err on the side of large vs small. Do the same thing with your boots, try them on with your waders. My vote goes to Simms or Patagonia, then I'd probably look at the Orvis waders after those two. My Simms G3's are on their 10th season and I don't see them being replaced anytime soon.

Starting my seventh year with my Simms Headwaters waisthighs. IMO SIMMS are the best.

I have had my Cabela's Dry Plus in Large Tall and they are great for my frame. They have seen some abuse and have been fished in all seasons. I have had them for at least 3 years...maybe closer to 4.

My wader history is that none of them are BS, or they all are.

My brands have included Hodgeman, Orvis, Frog Togg, LLBean, Simms. Ranging in price from about $80 up to $400ish.

My observation? $100/year. All of them. Pay twice as much, they last twice as long. Does that make them worth it or BS? Your choice... To me it makes them all about the same as the cost/year is equal and the comfort level is nearly equal among them.

It's rare that a product's quality so closely matches it's price point, but that seems to be the case for me with breathable waders.

That said, that's just looking at breathable waders. Neoprene's last a lot longer, and come cheaper, I don't think many would deny that. But they're far less comfortable outside of mid-winter applications.

Going on my fifth year with my Simms G3's. Waders are probably your most important tool in fly fishing besides a rod and reel. I had two pairs of Orvis waders but they both leaked within 2 years each. Just think if you are fishing a tailwater in the spring time, and the water is 45-50 degrees, you dont want your waders leaking. This is my opinion towards waders. More $$=Longer Lasting Waders. Longer Lasting Waders=Happy Fisherman

I have bought Simms waders in the past and they are very good. My most recent purchase was a pair of waist highs from bass pro. Generally, what I like to do is, when I get back to my vehicle, I pull them off, roll them up in a ball and throw them in the back of my FJ so my whole vehicle stinks to high heavens the next day. My thing is, as soon as I can stand it, I start wet wading in Columbia pants with my wading shoes. I hate to wear waders any longer into the season than I have to. And since I have a layer of blubber that keeps me warm, I can usually start wet wading by mid-February!

Now as far as shoes go, you can not beat Simms. In fact, I can't remember buying anything from Simms I didn't like.

Back