WADERS**FOR A NEWBIE

J

jarhead

FOLKS,
I am just taking my fourth class on "FLY CASTING" at a high school here in southern NJ tomorrow night.We haven't touched the rods yet , mostly knots -set of equiptment-why you do this & not that etc. , I'm learning a lot . The equiptment part is almost total confusion.
I have hunted all my life & I'll be 59 this month -if you go into some sporting goods stores they will try to sell you a really good Browning O/U for about 2800.00 & you will have a great gun. Problem is you don't need it starting out ! A good middle of the road semi or pump will be fine for birds until you get a bit better.
One fellow had a fly rod in my hands for 800.00 -it was a good rod but I don't know if I need that to start. I know you don't want the Wally World either ,but somewher in between is a nice rod /reel set up-to see if you can even do this ! In the $ 400.00/500.00 range ------------------------------------------
Can you get with such a set up ? Then of course you need flies etc & you can pick up I hope as you go along.
The waders deal is all new to me . I hunted waterfowl for years & all we had was the boot foot wader-insulated or non insul.
I plan to fish the Pohopoco Creek & some other streams near my other home in Carbon County by Beltzville Lake .
What would you folks suggest to get. What price range should I expect for a good pair that will last me for a while . The stocking foot ones look nice but I know nothing about them.
By the way I bought a Cabela's LST rod & a LSA reel . 4wt 7.6"
Thank you all in advance for your help & time . I appreciate the web site.
JARHEAD :-o

My suggestion would be for stocking foot waders.
Cabela's have a ton of different waders in different styles all varying in price. Although the best thing it comes to waders is to try a few sets on, to find what's comfortable to you.
Do this especially for boots.

By the way, I love my chota boots. And $500 for a rod/reel set up will take you very far.

I say it depends on how and where your gonna fish. If your not gonna fish in the winter months than hands down get stocking foot breathable waders. You can get good middle of the road waders. I can only pick from a few manufactures with my size since I am fat.

St. Croix's are a great value for rods or you could find cheap rods on EBAY. I never bought anything from EBAY so can't lend any first hand knowledge but some of my friends seems satisfied with that route.

Reels for your basic all around fly fishing I don't think is that important. Can't say I ever lost many fish because of a reel. I like the light weight ones.

Might want to cast some rods outside when the weather breaks. Some shops will allow to test them.

Good luck!

Jarhead,

Let me say I agree with the previous posts for their suggsestions toward waders for most situations. However, for a man of your age and just starting out, wanting to give things a try, so to speak. I would recommend a bootfoot breathable. They are easy to get in and out of, comfortable and for the creeks you mention should be fine. As you gain experience yo umay decide over the years that you would like to lace up a tighter boot for hiking and perhaps studs for better footing. But to get you on the water the best deal and a quality boot would be the Orvis Clearwater Endura bootfoot wader. They come with a guarantee and should last you a few years or perhaps 100 outtings.

You can get something cheaper if you look around on the internet. Perhaps someone else will recommend a few ideas.

Just a thought.

Good luck and welcome to a great outdoor activity.

Maurice

I have the orvis clearwater endura stockingfoots. As far as I know they work great, better than my neoprenes. When I would fish with neoprenes I would sweat a ton and be weighed down when walking and they created alot of drag in the water. Now, with my new orvis waders, I can fish all day and be completely dry when I get out. They are easy to walk in and don't create drag when standing in current. I think most cheaper breathables are similar but these looked a little better than the cabelas cheap breathables.

I say it every time

Patagonia. Call around I never pay full price anything.

Also go to a good fly shop in your area. Most will have rods/reels on consignment. People collect rods and like to trade up or have to make room for a new one.

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/search/esearch.jsp?OPTION=ESEARCH&N=0&special=both&Ntt=patagonia+waders&slc=en_US&sct=US&src=pkw

I use nothing but stocking foot I can put fleece and long jons on for winter. The pocohopo is a great stream to fish I also like Dotters and Toby.You have to drop me an email I am up there every weekend fishing. Maybe we can hook up and fish together. trout48@aol.com

You also might want to think about waist high waders if you don't think you're going to wade too aggressively.

And I'd definitely go with breathables over neoprenes. You can layer under breathables in cold weather, but you can't wear neoprenes when it gets warm.

Back