Waderless bushwhacking

mute

mute

What does everyone do and wear for waderless hiking into the public land? I'm wondering if something exists almost like knee high gaiters that somehow are more then just gaiters.

And I'm not taking about waist high wading pants nor hip boots. I feel like the proper hiking paints + gaiters + boots might be a efficient way to fish small mountain streams where the hike would put strain on the waders.

I'm a bit confused by the question. Do you intend to get in the water once you're done bushwhacking, or just fish from shore? If you're getting in the water more than a couple inches deep, you're likely using waders, so either wear them or carry them in a pack. If you're not planning on getting in the water, then any comfortable (for the season, terrain, and vegetation) pants will do. Why the gaiters? Extra protection from brush? You might get the same protection or better with a pair of upland game hunting pants.

I've fished small forested streams a lot.

Most of the time I wet wade, wearing regular quick-drying fishing pants.

And I wear regular wading shoes, and just wear 2 pairs of thick socks and lace them up tight.

I wet wade a lot too, but not so much because I am bushwhacking my way deep into native brookie streams but because I want to dry quickly if I fall in when water temperatures are > 50+ degrees.

I have an older pair of L.L. Bean discontinued wading boots which are fine for walking through the woods and several pairs of NRS wading socks in differing lengths to keep my feet/lower legs warm, and L.L. Bean nylon pants that dry fast.

This works for me just fine and I am basically dry on my way to the bar for lunch and after fishing ****tails. Plus, since my boots don't any studs in the soles, I am not damaging any one else's floors.

I wear snake proof gaiters any time I’m fishing in the mountains.

Knee high rubber hunting boots. Lacrosse, etc. I really don't see a need for "wading" in most native brookie streams and knee high rubber boots are plenty for when you need to cross the creek or position to a tight cast. If you're standing in deep water in a brookie stream, you're doing it wrong.

Knee high rubber hunting boots. Lacrosse, etc. I really don't see a need for "wading" in most native brookie streams and knee high rubber boots are plenty for when you need to cross the creek or position to a tight cast. If you're standing in deep water in a brookie stream, you're doing it wrong.

When I wear waders, I try to use an old beater pair of chest waders. Minor leaks are no matter, you don't spend a ton of time in the water. But yeah, I go deep to reach snags. Or often kneel in the stream to get the right casting angle.

I do my share of wet wading too in mid summer. When I do, quick dry hiking pants with wading boots. The biggest issue for me is hitting my shins on rocks. The thin quick dry stuff doesn't protect as well as waders do.

I like this kind of fishing. I favor light, quick drying pants. I have both zip off and regular. THe drawback of not wearing waders when small stream fishing is when sitting on banks that are often damp.

In an effort to be stealthy, I am abusive to my knees. A few years ago I bought a pair of black neoprene covered plastic knee/shin guards. THey secure with velcro so they go on and come off easily.
They are great over thin polyester wading pants, offering protection from stickers and rocks. They also protect me when gardening. As a bonus, they offer front protection from venomous snakes, although I have only seen one in 40+ years of fishing NE and NC PA. That one was on Penns.

a23fish wrote:
I'm a bit confused by the question. Do you intend to get in the water once you're done bushwhacking, or just fish from shore? If you're getting in the water more than a couple inches deep, you're likely using waders, so either wear them or carry them in a pack. If you're not planning on getting in the water, then any comfortable (for the season, terrain, and vegetation) pants will do. Why the gaiters? Extra protection from brush? You might get the same protection or better with a pair of upland game hunting pants.

I guess I didnt really give enough information. I guess the followin would be the requirements.

1. Season would be Winter mainly, but any season I guess.

2. The goal of not wearing $500 waders is so you prolong their life. Also, because of the duration of the walk sometimes, multiple miles in, and planning on fishing hours upon hours, its nice to be as comfortable as possible, with the least amount of heavy gear on you as possible.

3. My original question was targeted to NOT get wet. There should be no wading required, only the best advantage to crossing said water where most applicable. Thats why I was leaning towards some sort of khaki \ breathable based outdoorsy pants(Not sure who offers something for this agenda, im sure Simms, Orvis does). And secondly wearing waterproof hiking boots of sorts with the gaiters. THe gaiters would do two things in my mind, protect against abrasions during the trek and with snow on the ground, prevent entry into the boot.

I was thinking the perfect attire for this would be a knee high type breathable wader. Almost like a hip wader boot but they are too heavy and bulky to be mountain stream fishing in. So I then thought of cutting the bottoms of my Simms G3s off and creating my own knee high gore-tex based gaiter.

Then i started searching and I found two products that while probably wouldnt be as tough as the DIY idea, but probably fir the requirements. And you would be able to wear your wading boots with them obviously.

Second ones a little expensive because at that point might as well get a pair of reputable waist high pants waders for a bit more, but the first ones not a bad hit if they dont last as long as expected. I think ill give them a shot.

https://www.amazon.com/Kylebooker-Fishing-Waterproof-Stocking-Breathable/dp/B07DGPMCCR/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=breathable+hip+waders&qid=1612788781&sr=8-9

https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/products/chota-hippies

I bought a pair of waterproof hunting boots from Cabela's called "Tundra boots". They fold down for hiking in and can be converted to hip boots at the stream (pics below). They are no longer listed there, but you may find another similar type of boot from a hunting outfitter.

Attachments

• Tundra boots down.png
    Tundra boots down.png
    105 KB · Views: 2
  • Tundra boots up.png
    Tundra boots up.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 2
I know several people with the chota hippers that love them. I am not sure that you would want to pound through brush without concern though. If I am confident I can fish a stream without wading and will likely be able to get across without getting my feet wet I often just wear my hiking boots in the winter. If there is snow a pair of gaiters such as the many offerings from OR will do wonders at keeping snow out and may help keep water at bay in a splashy stream crossing. The gaiters will have a limited waterproof lifespan as well if you pound them through briars alot, but still help keep snow at bay.

afishinado wrote:
I bought a pair of hunting boots from Cabela's call "Tundra boots". They fold down for hiking in and can be converted to hip boots at the stream (pics below). They are no longer listed there, but you may find another similar type of boot from a hunting outfitter.

Whoa, that looks pretty badass!

lycoflyfisher wrote:
I know several people with the chota hippers that love them. I am not sure that you would want to pound through brush without concern though. If I am confident I can fish a stream without wading and will likely be able to get across without getting my feet wet I often just wear my hiking boots in the winter. If there is snow a pair of gaiters such as the many offerings from OR will do wonders at keeping snow out and may help keep water at bay in a splashy stream crossing. The gaiters will have a limited waterproof lifespan as well if you pound them through briars alot, but still help keep snow at bay.

Good points. So many methods of attack here.

Chota Caney Fork Knee-High Socks look interesting for summer hiking into shallow streams. As long as you don't wade past your knees, you're good.

I do a lot of backpacking while fishing (or rather fishing with a full size backpack on) so a lot of my time is spent in the stream, often starting out from a parking area and moving into a place that is a bit more remote to stay the night. Regardless if I start off fishing or hike in, I usually wear a pair of Rattler Snake Chaps and I wear them while I'm wading in the stream too. I guess they would protect against snakes but I wear them primarily to protect my waders, so I don't have to think twice about ducking through some streamside multiflora rose or sliding over a tree that is across the stream. I usually don't take hiking boots, but just use my wading boots, which means I often wear my waders or hippers when hiking out or in. It can get hot and sweaty if it is warm out and creates a nasty funk, but it beats carrying the waders in the pack, plus an extra pair of boots.

I would love to find pants that are both quick drying and tough enough that nettles would not sting you through them, and maybe have at least a little resistance to briars.

To be quick drying, it would have to be a synthetic fabric, not cotton.

If anyone knows of such pants, please let us know.

I think someone must make such pants, maybe for mountaineering, or for certain types of work.

first light sawbuck pants may be your best bet troutbert. I have been eyeing these up myself, basically a quick dry stretchable hiking pant reinforced with a nylon panel similar to brush pants but a much lighter weight pant.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
first light sawbuck pants may be your best bet troutbert. I have been eyeing these up myself, basically a quick dry stretchable hiking pant reinforced with a nylon panel similar to brush pants but a much lighter weight pant.

They probably very good. But $160 is way out of my price range for a pair of pants.

troutbert wrote:
lycoflyfisher wrote:

They probably very good. But $160 is way out of my price range for a pair of pants.

How much do you think a pair of pants that is lightweight, quick drying, and provides protection against nettles and possibly briars should cost? A fabric that is durable enough to handle briars but lightweight and quick drying isn't cheap, if it even exists.

I personally have found that just wearing lightweight quick dry hiking pants is enough to stave off the worst of nettles; you'll still get jabbed every now and then but it only took one time of walking through a crown nettle patch on a trail for me to abandon shorts while hiking.

Back