Wader Suggestions

D

delfam

Looking to upgrade from hip waders to chest waders, not sure if I should get 3mm or 5mm neoprene or breathables, only looking to spend no more than $150 for waders and boots.

Recommendations? I mainly fish valley forge and go up to spring creek a couple times a year. Not sure what will be warm enough.

EDIT: was looking at these and they seem really good, any experience with them? Will they be warm enough?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48790?feat=waders-SR0&attrValue_0=Olive

I was going to get the same exact pair, but most of the sizes are on back order till June. I really wanted the LL beans because of the awesome warranty they have on all waders. I ended up going with Redington Palix waders, but who knows how well they will hold up. You should be plenty warm in the breathable waders. I sweat to death in my neoprene if it's over 60degrees out.

In terms of warmth there is a big difference between neoprene and breathables. I don't do winter fishing and breathables always work for me.

Cabelas brand has a nice selection here:

Cabelas Waders

I fish breathables all year. Just layer underneath and you will be fine. Under armour is your friend.

Breathables, wicking layers and fleece all winter here.
During the summer, breathables and something light between me and the waders. Chest high can be rolled down.

Can you guys help with size: I'm looking at these right now:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus-Waders%7C/pc/105625080/c/112272480/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus174-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders-Tall/749372.uts?destination=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D112272480%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BRCcat104793480%253Bcat104674680&WTz_l=SBC%3BRCcat104793480%3Bcat104674680%3Bcat112272480

I'm 6'0 150lbs with size 11ft. My inseam is 32 and my waist is 32. Looking at the tall the inseam and feet seem fine, but it says the chest is 44, am i missing something here or is that way to big, what size should i get? Thanks!

Dear delfam,

I can tell you from experience that too big is far better than too small, but I know that's not much in the way of advice.

My suggestion to you is to travel to Cabela's in Hamburg and try a pair or two on until you find the right size for you. If you can't get there order the size you think fits best and try them on at home, if they don't fit send them back and try again.

Cabela's is pretty easy to work with. You'll be out some money for postage, but it's better than buying something blind and forcing yourself to suffer the consequences.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I've been using LL Bean's Rapid River waders extensively since last September. They are the best fitting waders I've ever owned, and that includes Simms. They work just as well as the day I bought them, and are much nicer the the cheapo Bean waders. The cheap stuff might work, but it stinks of plastic solvent...or something...and the fit is AWFUL.

Dear Rich,

I also am currently wearing LL Bean Rapid River waders and given the enourmous mass that they have to fit over, namely me, I am very pleased with them so far.

If you are a big fella there are only a few brands of waders that come in sizes that are accurate and LL Bean waders are one of those brands. If Bean says they fit then they fit.

Most other waders, including all the premium waders I have ever tried to try on, are very generous when they give their size ranges.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I just bought a pair of Simms waders from Angler's Pro Shop on Ebay. They're 2011 models (big deal) and for a brand name, are a great product at a great price. Give "closeouts" on the web a look because you can get a pretty steep discount. The pair I bought are convertible from chest waders to waist-high by simply rolling down the top portion. I have neoprene bootfoot waders, but reserve them only for kayaking. They're just too warm and I generate too much sweat in them to consider them for mobile fishing in the winter. +1 for layering under breathables!

Hey, listen to Tim Murphy. I did, esp with regard to the boots I put over the stockingfoots I bought. I've been in them several times now, and am not slipping and sliding around as I had been. The boots are Cabela's.
The waders are Simms, and I chose them b/c they're American made. I did see on the label, however, they are made from foreign-made fabric, so I don't know if I actually helped American jobs that much or not.
Sounds like wgmiller gave you a nice tip as well. If I were a little better with a computer, I might try to do some things that way, too.
Good luck.

I just got some redingtons and love them. The ones i had purchased have gravle guards on the bottom built in. I agree with the guys that too big is better than too small. I got Frog Toggs last year and they were too tight around myankles. The neoprene had ripped after 3 months. Won't buy another pair of them. No complaints on the redingtons yet.

thanks guys, I ended up going with some Frogg Togg Hellbenders. I read the reviews and they seem pretty high quality for the money. Now I just need to get some boots.

Back