Wader sizes

J

JSOutdoors

I just purchased a set of XL men's waders from Cabelas. They seem OK quality. The shoe size said 11-13 which im a 12.5 so I thought this set would be good. But the top of the waders theres easily an extra 5" girth at the chest and they are way too long.

Can someone figure out a good size wader for me . I am 5' 11" and I weigh about 220 lbs. I have an average build.

Are you sure the XL didn’t mean extra long? I’m 6’2” and that’s one reason why I like their waders. They actually cover my chest. I’m also thin, but the extra room at the top comes in handy for breathability, for reaching into the pouch, and when wearing heavier late fall or winter jackets or coats. The extra space makes them roomy at the waist as well, which is ok with me for better air circulation in warm to hot weather. I don’t, nor have I ever, used a wader belt whether fishing or working.

As u will see, each company will prob have their own version of XL.

As long as u can return those waders that r not a good fit....u will eventually fit to a good match.

Tho the choice is yours,
I believe there will b HEAVY consensus here to DEF wear your wading belt at all times.

I don’t, nor have I ever, used a wader belt whether fishing or working.
Same, nothing more than a fashion statement without any real tactical advantage. I get it, some people want to accentuate their waists and hips, just not something I deem necessary. I'm fat too, so the belt would just tell people how fat I am. I do love the argument for them and how they prevent drowning. I could LITERLALLY just stand up in a creek after taking a tumble and avoid drowning entirely. I can envision an article concerning an angler falling down in a tiny creek and the article would state that due to the angler wearing the wading belt they survived the incident unharmed! I'll take a slight deficit in fish caught due to not being up-to-date on current fashion trends.

I believe there will b HEAVY consensus here to DEF wear your wading belt at all times.
Not from me. I'll tell him to wear whatever he wants and to not let people on the internet and current fashion trends dictate his attire. I do intend to fish with this person, share some knowledge, and even offer up a few of my tried, true, and tested flies. I will give him a run-down on gear stressing the importance of the gear that ACTUALLY catches the fish. As for other items you will hear the "you do need that s***" phrase coming from me quite a lot.

Drive to cabelas or pro bass and try on some waders after you return the pair you have,

Dear JSOutdoors,

Many wader brands feature stout sizes. I'm not saying you are stout in an accusatory way, I'm just saying a Large Stout pair of waders may suit you better. They would definitely be shorter in length. The standard wader to fit someone 5'11" tall is probably designed for someone weighing 180- or 190-pounds tops. It would be better for you to go and try on waders though.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I wasn’t saying don’t wear a wader belt; I was saying that in my specific case and my case only I don’t because I like the air circulation permitted by my 34-35” waist in my wide-topped waders.

Dear JSOutdoors,

Many wader brands feature stout sizes. I'm not saying you are stout in an accusatory way, I'm just saying a Large Stout pair of waders may suit you better. They would definitely be shorter in length. The standard wader to fit someone 5'11" tall is probably designed for someone weighing 180- or 190-pounds tops. It would be better for you to go and try on waders though.

Regards,

Tim, at one point I was 5’11” and weighed that much. lol Thank you for the tip!

I'm 6 ft, 220 lbs.
Large size waders fit me OK, but are quite tight when I layer up for cold weather fishing.

I've been buying X large size lately, and they work out better.
Leg length is a little longer than I need, and they fold over some below the crotch.
But have had no problems with it.

Even though I wear size 11 normal shoe size, the 12 - 13 bootie size is better too.
More comfortable and easier to get on and off.
And allows more room for thick socks in cold weather.

Plus, the booties - like wading boots - tend to shrink up some after a year or so

I'm 6 ft, 220 lbs.
Large size waders fit me OK, but are quite tight when I layer up for cold weather fishing.

I've been buying X large size lately, and they work out better.
Leg length is a little longer than I need, and they fold over some below the crotch.
But have had no problems with it.

Even though I wear size 11 normal shoe size, the 12 - 13 bootie size is better too.
More comfortable and easier to get on and off.
And allows more room for thick socks in cold weather.

Plus, the booties - like wading boots - tend to shrink up some after a year or so
Dear JSOutdoors,

To expand a bit on dryflyguy's post I am a big heavy-set dude, 6'5" and 350 pounds.

I am currently wearing Caddis 2XL stout waders and I have plenty of extra room in them. With traditional rubber waders they would be far too large. But with the lighter breathable material of today's waders the extra material is literally unnoticeable. It has no real effect once you are in the water because the lighter material offers no real resistance in the water. I can easily add layers of clothing for cold weather. More importantly, waders that are bigger than needed have less chance of being torn by a slip or stumble. Tight fitting waders can split a seam with a slip in the mud or a stumble on a rock. Having extra room greatly reduces that possibility.

I look like I am wearing a gunny sack when I have my waders on, but I'm not one to make fashion statements anyway other to say I have no sense of fashion. ;)

You need to decide just how much bagginess you can tolerate so that is the main reason I suggested earlier that you go and try on waders.

Regards,

Gee,
I was not aware that wearing a wading belt was some type of a fashion trend.

Certainly a good opportunity to b enlightened and impressed by others experience & generosity with
" run-down on gear stressing the importance of the gear that ACTUALLY catches the fish."
Bravo to you sir!!👏

I just purchased a set of XL men's waders from Cabelas. They seem OK quality. The shoe size said 11-13 which im a 12.5 so I thought this set would be good. But the top of the waders theres easily an extra 5" girth at the chest and they are way too long.

Can someone figure out a good size wader for me . I am 5' 11" and I weigh about 220 lbs. I have an average build.
5” of extra girth in the chest is not a lot. I have at least that and enjoy the air flow when it’s hot and the extra room for warm clothing when it’s cold. When you shop for waders look at the size charts. Every brand is different. Waders are big and baggy on most everybody.

The benefit of wearing a wader belt is two fold. if your in water you will be buoyant but when you get out, water weighs 8 pounds a gallon so you could have 50 lbs or more of extra water weight to walk around in. Let’s not forget cold water immersion. Its equally as bad if the cold water is in your waders, soaked in your clothing or if your laying in a creek. Maybe you just don’t like to get wet even when it’s warm out. Drowning, just like a fashion statement, has nothing to do with wearing a wader belt.

Back