Wader Safety?

I'm a good swimmer and a fairly aggressive wader. My only real fear is getting my waders filled and not being able to swim. I always wear a belt in any wading situation that could be even remotely dicey
Waders filling with water does not affect your ability to swim. It's getting up out of the water that becomes the challenge.

I'm a good swimmer and a fairly aggressive wader. My only real fear is getting my waders filled and not being able to swim. I always wear a belt in any wading situation that could be even remotely dicey
My advice would be to practice falling in wearing your waders sometime. It’s actually not that big of a difference between swimming without them. They don’t pull you under (it’s a wives tale) the density of the water on the inside and the outside allows you to remain buoyant. You will sacrifice some mobility, but typical swift water swimming/floating techniques (feet downriver, head upstream) will get you to safety .

I say this as someone who takes a swim pretty often due to very aggressive wading. Practice, don’t fear the river!

The majority of wading fatalities likely involve a head injury or someone panicking because they’ve never fallen in wearing their gear.

i Never wade without a wading staff. It’s just to dicey. I too have balance issues and without a staff, I don’t wade ever. Took a dunk in Penns in February a few years back. It wasn’t fun.

i'm always three legged as your balance definitely degrades with age. i have a folding Simms for trout fishing which most of the time stays folded on my wading belt but invaluable when needed. For the river i have an old ski pole which i stripped down to just the hollow aluminium shaft with handle. i filled it with spray foam so it floats. I usually just let it float around on a tether to my wading belt but i always fish the big water with a stripping basket too. If the staff is in the way i can put it horizontally between the stripping basket and my belly and it stows nicely out of the way.

I usually don't fall in, but i did last year while shad fishing the Delaware. early season i'm in my neoprenes. The neoprene floats, which is a good thing, but i found my feet floating so much that i couldn't get them back to the bottom to stand back up.

I’m thinking this might be my next step in wading. However, I‘d want one with a bench seat to sit on.
IMG 3710

Is it really better to go downstream head first rather than feet first? In fast, rocky water I would think it would be better to go down feet first, so you're hitting the rocks with your feet, not your head.

BTW, I've never "taken a swim" while fishing. I've come close
Yes, feet first. In a sitting position if you can manage it. Any white water guide will confirm that.

Yes, feet first. In a sitting position if you can manage it. Any white water guide will confirm that.
Former whitewater guide here. The saying goes; the best rescue is a self rescue. The whole "feet first, toes out of water" really only applies to swift water. Once the risk of foot entrapment is gone, swim! You wouldn't believe (you probably would, actually) how many people make it through the swift water yet continue to float on their back and scream for help. Once you're out of the rapid, swim to safety! I've yet to take a swim in my waders (I mostly blue-line), but I can assure you the same principle applies; keep your feet up to avoid entrapment, swim to safety as soon as possible. The only difference I can see is that with waders you have more surface area to drag in the current. Keeping your feet downstream you'd fight that drag. If you face downstream you can use the moving water and steer to safety, kind of like in a rip current.

I have never really taken a spill while fishing, not a bad one, anyways, nor have I ever felt in danger. I think I could get myself out of dang near anything and, if not, it has been a good run.

I am only 37, though.

One day, I was fishing the Juniata by my parents and, I was on that island, and the river continued to rise. There is a pretty good amount of current there. The water comes barreling down and is pinched between that island and the shore, so the current picks up. In summer, the water is only calf deep or so. But, I was fishing high water, and I was able to wade out to the island and catch bass around it. But, as I said, the river kept rising. I had to swim back, with waders on, my sling pack, etc. I was going downriver very quickly, but I was also making it to the shore slowly. It worked out.

Last edited:
I fell in a 5 foot deep hole in the Little J last year. In February. I kept creeping downstream along the bank and decided to try to take one more step out towardsthe middle to drift the seam at the far edge. Mind you I was already up to my waist and I am only 5'7.

Well that one step out was a deeper drop than anticipated and it startled me and I went under up to my hat brim

Again, this was February. I don't recall the exact temp but it was in the low 40s at the peak of the afternoon. The water was cold. Damn cold.

Thankfully I always bring extra clothes and a towel no matter the time of year. The inside of my waders were full to my thighs, and I had to turn them inside out and dried them as good as I could with my towel.

And then I put them back on, went back out and hit that seam.

What a dumbass.

I usually don't fall in, but i did last year while shad fishing the Delaware. early season i'm in my neoprenes. The neoprene floats, which is a good thing, but i found my feet floating so much that i couldn't get them back to the bottom to stand back up.
I am due for a new pair of neoprene boot foot waders.

I fell in a 5 foot deep hole in the Little J last year. In February. I kept creeping downstream along the bank and decided to try to take one more step out towardsthe middle to drift the seam at the far edge. Mind you I was already up to my waist and I am only 5'7.

Well that one step out was a deeper drop than anticipated and it startled me and I went under up to my hat brim

Again, this was February. I don't recall the exact temp but it was in the low 40s at the peak of the afternoon. The water was cold. Damn cold.

Thankfully I always bring extra clothes and a towel no matter the time of year. The inside of my waders were full to my thighs, and I had to turn them inside out and dried them as good as I could with my towel.

And then I put them back on, went back out and hit that seam.

What a dumbass.
Did it fish?

Did it fish?
No.

I believe that I caught one on the near bank when I got down to the hole and thought I was going to strike gold by crossing and working the other side. I don't believe I caught any over there, and for sure didn't after I returned from changing and putting wet waders back on.

I am due for a new pair of neoprene boot foot waders.

After freezing my toes off new years eve steelhead fishing I decided to buy a pair of 120$ cabela's w/felt sole for winter fishing. I typically fish a lot in the winter and always used my regular stocking foot breathables. I bought the cabela's but have had a busy stretch with family life and haven't gotten out since I received them.

We all spend enough time on the water that we will eventually take a swim. I find it usually happens when I am backing up and find a boulder of log with my heel.

Just because we have on chest waders doesn't mean we need to test their depth. No fish is worth drowning. Even shallow water that is pushing can easily push you off balance. I don't often bring a staff when I'm on small water, but I've fallen just as often there as in big water, and usually to more painful results.

Is it really better to go downstream head first rather than feet first? In fast, rocky water I would think it would be better to go down feet first, so you're hitting the rocks with your feet, not your head.

BTW, I've never "taken a swim" while fishing. I've come close
Head first your head will absorb the impact of any rocks in your way. Feet first is the way to go. Keep your legs together or it won't be your feet absorbing the impact...

I was told by an older person when I began fishing to always have a knife accessible when I'm in waders. I'm not sure poking a hole would help with filled waders but maybe I could cut them off. I like knives so it any reason is a good enough for me.

Know how to swim- there’s your safety
I’m a solid swimmer, but only in trunks in a pool, lake or ocean in the warmth of midsummer. Not in layers of wet clothes, boots filled with water and against a current at the peak of a brisk April day.

Please, to assure you get out for the next fishing trip, carry a wading staff and wade carefully.

After freezing my toes off new years eve steelhead fishing I decided to buy a pair of 120$ cabela's w/felt sole for winter fishing. I typically fish a lot in the winter and always used my regular stocking foot breathables. I bought the cabela's but have had a busy stretch with family life and haven't gotten out since I received them.
I've owned quite a few pair of Cabela's boot foot neoprenes. I like them for goose hunting.

A staff and a good pair of boots are key. On bigger water i always have a staff and i love the patagonia foot tractors. They arent light, but the grip is amazing. When i jump out of the boat to wade briefly in felt boots it feels like ice after wearing the foot tractors

Back