Wader bootie replacement

6xAdams(Jones)

6xAdams(Jones)

Does anyone replace neoprene feet on waders that didn't cost over $200? (I've successfully avoided spending $600 on gear I might use 10-20 days out of a year.) There was a post on here about someone who can install a zipper fly... Does he replace feet as well? If there's someone who does this in PA or MD, that would be great.
I've chased all the seams with Loon and can't find any pinholes using alcohol or by half-filling the feet with water. My heels still get wet.
Thanks.

The prior year Simms Tributary waders are on sale just about everywhere for $150 since an updated design came out. Probably good for at least a couple years of 10-20 days on the water.

(I bought a pair last week, but they had a defect and a small leak out of the box. Exchange pair is coming tomorrow, so I can give a further review if it's helpful.)

The prior year Simms Tributary waders are on sale just about everywhere for $150 since an updated design came out. Probably good for at least a couple years of 10-20 days on the water.

(I bought a pair last week, but they had a defect and a small leak out of the box. Exchange pair is coming tomorrow, so I can give a further review if it's helpful.)
This review is sufficiant. ;)

Does anyone replace neoprene feet on waders that didn't cost over $200? (I've successfully avoided spending $600 on gear I might use 10-20 days out of a year.) There was a post on here about someone who can install a zipper fly... Does he replace feet as well? If there's someone who does this in PA or MD, that would be great.
I've chased all the seams with Loon and can't find any pinholes using alcohol or by half-filling the feet with water. My heels still get wet.
Thanks.

As most wader companies don't actually manufacture the waders they sell you would extremely lucky to find one who would replace a bootie on a pair of $200 waders.

If I was you I'd contact a scuba shop and ask them about just a heel patch as wetsuits get repaired all the time. If they can't or won't fix your waders, they might direct you to products (yes there is other stuff besides Aquaseal) for a DIY repair and they may have some Neoprene lying around they would give/sell you for the patch.

Good luck!!

Thanks.
Sounds like the heels are suffering from neoprene compression. Once that happens they will seep leak, I know of no cure, I usually terminate said waders (or keep them for warmer weather).

Sounds like the heels are suffering from neoprene compression. Once that happens they will seep leak, I know of no cure, I usually terminate said waders (or keep them for warmer weather).
I see... my lordly girth is what is causing the problem. It hasn't been much of an issue since I don't fish when the water is <40 degrees. In reply to the rest of the comments, thanks for the information. I never intended for a company that makes "low-cost" waders to replace the feet. I was just looking for someone like the pee-zipper guy who repairs waders as a side-hustle - and has a way to weld neoprene seams. I'll check on a neoprene patch to replace the compressed heels. There's a significant messy buildup of Loon and Aquaseal there... which actually fixed the leaks for a couple years.
If another patch-job doesn't work, I'll look into quick-dry pants and socks.
Thanks Everyone.
Regards.

On sub $200 pair waders it’s not cost effective. Even on more expensive waders, by the time you have bootie leaks, you probably have seam leaks higher up too, or are not far from it. You pay to fix the booties only to run into total loss seam failure a little bit down the road. Waders are a disposable item in my view. DIY Patch/Aquaseal work is the most cost and effort I’m willing to put into them.

Make them your backups/warm weather pair, and order a new pair. Far less headaches and effort and time consuming. When the new pair starts to get leaky, demote them to backups, and your current backups to the trash. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
On sub $200 pair waders it’s not cost effective. Even on more expensive waders, by the time you have bootie leaks, you probably have seam leaks higher up too, or are not far from it. You pay to fix the booties only to run into total loss seam failure a little bit down the road. Waders are a disposable item in my view. DIY Patch/Aquaseal work is the most cost and effort I’m willing to put into them.

Make them your backups/warm weather pair, and order a new pair. Far less headaches and effort and time consuming. When the new pair starts to get leaky, demote them to backups, and your current backups to the trash. Repeat as necessary.
Thanks. Good advice here and I'll just keep a change of dry socks on-hand for now.

Back