wader belts with back support

gfen

gfen

I'm a big fat slob, and I'm clumsy and can't swim. This means that for safety sake, I should wear a wading belt and for my killer lower back pain I should really seek one out that has some lumbar support.

Anyone else do this? Anyone have a purpose-made belt for this? I see there's a few options out there, curious to know if there's any over all feeling on 'em.

I've thought about using one of those mover's support belts before, but after wading the upper Bushkill yesterday, I've come to realize that I'm not steady enough to NOT wear a wading belt. THe biggest advantage to one of these would be that I would always wear it, if only for the support, so when I got into a bad situation it'd be there to do the actual wading belt duty.

Hell, on the same topic, what of wading staffs? Someone had the Simms model that would lock open, but I'm very hesitant to spend $100 on something when there seems to be many budget models out there. I know there's plenty of simple, homemade ones for almost nothing, but a light weight collapsible model would always go with me, whereas a home made, fixed pole might have the tendency to be left in the car.

I did go down yesterday, I just landed with my rear on a rock so I was safe, but I'm really re-considering my safety.

I have a Simms belt with lumbar support built into it. I love it for long, repeated days on the water. For a day trip, unless I have back issues, I'll stick with the regular wading belt. They do work, but they also can be very warm. Not so great in warmer weather.

Go to WalMart or some sports store and get a collapsable Hiking pole, almost looks like a ski pole. Should be under $20.

gfen - While a telescoping hiking staff is better than nothing, these two are designed for one handed operation, and fold down pretty small.

economy wading staff

Folstaff 3/4"

For a guy your size, there is nothing better than the 3/4" diameter Folstaff. It's yer azz, you decide if it's worth the extra cash.

Simms has two models of wading belts that provide back support.

Simms Back Magic

Simms Backsaver

The one I have is similar to the Backsaver, but made by Hodgman

Wader Support Belt

Another neat trick I use for the belt involves trapped air - when I put the belt on, I squat down and allow the excess air in the waders to escape - tighten the belt before you stand up.

This belt really makes a difference for me, especially since I tend to hunch over when I fish.

I'm gonna have to head out and see what's up witht hem, and how quickly the staffs can deploy. Searching the Internet, it seems most people complain about them opening up on them in things like mud or when they get stuck between rocks, the Simms I played with had a button that popped out to lock it into place.

More than anything else, when I tried it out, I was using it to sort of feel around the rocks before I put my feet down, not unlike a blind person might use a cane.

I always thought that wading staffs seemed kind of ridiculous for anyone who wasn't chest deep in a major river, but I understand the need now in something as simple as the Bushkill headwaters (which were a blustery 46o of no fun, fwiw).

There seems to be a few varieties about the size of the Back Saver, so I guess they're more or less all the same function wise. I suppose its the one I come across the cheapest, or I find the most appealing.

In my case, Jaybo, after about 2 hours in the water my lower back starts to ache something fierece (I'm overweight and out of shape, I did 6 months of PT for my lower back and I still remember the look of amazement and disguist on the therapist's face when I first showed up and couldn't do crap). A good back support belt is almost an essential piece of gear that I never knew they made til this weekend. Plus, wading belt, like the staff, is really something I should remember to keep on. Fool me once, shame on me, etc etc.

gfen - If you think the Bushkill was tough, you should have been on the Little Juniata with us on Saturday. :-o That was a bit hairy, to say the least. One false step and they would have fished me out in Harrisburg!

The biggest advantage to the Folstaff is the speed of deployment - just yank the grip out, and you have an instant SOLID wading staff. I've played with most of the better staffs on the market, and none are built better than the Folstaff. When I need a staff, I don't want to mess with buttons, twist rings, etc - I need it RIGHT NOW. I've had more problems with the staff not coming apart easily (paraffin wax works well for this), than getting it stuck and having it separate. Folstaffs are also a one time investment - they're guaranteed for life. Whatever you decide, just get something! I have a home-made one you can have in the meantime (made from a heavy duty broomstick).

You're gonna love the back support belt - whichever one you get. I had a Simms, but like the Hodgman one better - the fastening system is velcro, and no matter what you wear, you adjust it when you fasten it every time. The Simms had buckles that were more of a pain to adjust every time. If you look at the belts, you'll notice "D" rings on the sides - perfect for attaching your wading staff.

You have two very good reasons at home for investing in these two items - and I'm looking forward to dragging you around and showing you some really nice waters. Gimme a call - I'll help you..........Ed

I had back issues for years until I got my battenkill vest. It has tabs on the back for the wader belt to help support the vest. it works no more back problems while wading..just get some tabs sown on and see the differance..

I f you plan to go on any tuff to wade,dangerous water-not just take a bath type-
Get the one that fits in the holster on your wading belt-
The non collapsible are nuisances and get in the way.
I can tell you from experience[mentioned before]few things more frightening in wading than to realize you are on the lip of a deep hole and can't turn or go back without a third leg-
You can use your flyrod of course but a wading staff better-
Downside-knowing you have one tends to make you a little more likely to over-reach
Sure wish some one had come up with the back brace about 30yrs ago-I still feel my pain
literally crawling out of a river-tears in my eyes.

i use a cabelas belt, it helps the back and i love it a purshase i was glad i made and cant say a bad thing about it. another buddy has the same one, same with him

Its all up for consideration, but definatly both need to be added. The Hodgman and Cabela's belts both appear to be the same unit, the Simms ones get much larger but also don't be appeared to be built for my level of, uhm, comfort.

I think a velcro close is a 100% reason to pick one, though. As for the staffs, we'll see. I definatly want to fondle 'em before I pick one, though.

As to your offer, Ed, I'll be taking you up on it for sure. Thanks for the pattern tip, too, btw. That is super easy to tie, and its a good pattern to swap out different colours and sizes for different flies.

I've got this Cabelas belt which works great. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0017723830339a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=wading+belt&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Back