Wader alternatives to Simms

That might reduce odors by improving drying but does it actually make any difference regarding leaking?

If so, how? By what physical process? Waders are made out synthetic materials, so they don't decay.
Generally speaking I don’t know that it helps leaking (maybe it does?), but I do think that it helps with odors, mold, etc. which is not good for anything.

My point generally that by taking care of them I think they’ve held up a bit better. And I think when I got them I paid about $250 for the waders and boots. I’ve replaced the laces and one boot lace hook in the entirety of owning them.

Generally speaking I don’t know that it helps leaking (maybe it does?), but I do think that it helps with odors, mold, etc. which is not good for anything.

My point generally that by taking care of them I think they’ve held up a bit better. And I think when I got them I paid about $250 for the waders and boots. I’ve replaced the laces and one boot lace hook in the entirety of owning them.
Peet dryers work very well, btw.

I would add that you also pay for the warranty.

I am going to try Grundens next time just because I've trusted the brand for decades. Fit will be important, however.
I got the Grundens Boundary waders at the beginning of the year and have been happy with them so far. I did have one small leak after walking through some brush the first time I wore them, but it was easily repaired and they have been good since.

I had a pair of mid tier Gore-Tex Simms waders before that were awesome. The fit was much better than the Grundens and they lasted 4 seasons of hard fishing with a few aquaseal repairs. The Grundens are a baggier fit and the outer coating on the Simms seemed to be tougher. I would give an edge to the Simms and wish they still made the model I had.

I will always prefer Gore-Tex because of how easy it is to find and repair leaks. I don't think any waders will be completely bulletproof, so ease of repair is very important to me.

I got the Grundens Boundary waders at the beginning of the year and have been happy with them so far. I did have one small leak after walking through some brush the first time I wore them, but it was easily repaired and they have been good since.

I had a pair of mid tier Gore-Tex Simms waders before that were awesome. The fit was much better than the Grundens and they lasted 4 seasons of hard fishing with a few aquaseal repairs. The Grundens are a baggier fit and the outer coating on the Simms seemed to be tougher. I would give an edge to the Simms and wish they still made the model I had.

I will always prefer Gore-Tex because of how easy it is to find and repair leaks. I don't think any waders will be completely bulletproof, so ease of repair is very important to me.
Thanks @JackNiem . I am a Simms fan as well, and a big reason besides the ones other cited above like fit (and warranty) is the ease of repair with Gore-Tex. That is why Grundens is on the list to try once my current Simms go kaput.

What's the price ranges on the Grundens waders?
I recall looking at them when they first came out, and they seemed to be more expensive than Simms

anyone know of how well "dryft" waders are made? i have been a simms G3 guy forever. keep seeing simms is being sold out. i wonder how long until they become garbage. i hope not. fingers crossed.

I am (was) the largest G3 fan. My current pair (1 month of use) feel different, cheaper. I had 3 other pairs that lasted a good long time. The tapes on the stocking foot already coming off on this one. They could just be a bad pair, not enough adhesive, but I too will be look for something new next time. I will miss the flip out tippet tender though

I'm done with Simms. I've sent my G3s back too many times. They are now trash that I somehow can't bring myself to throw away and are only a few seasons old. The seams are all failing, it's dismal. OTOH, my Patagonia Expeditions have been bomber. I do put a lot of days on waders and am not expecting miracles, but my Patagonias are hands down the more durable wader. It's not even close.

Currently wearing Simms top of the line. More than 2 years now and no leaks but I didn't fish as much this year. Always used Patagonia before and liked them and still own 2 pair that need minor leak repair. I have tried many types but now would probably stick with either of those. If you are VERY careful with them and take care of them I believe they are the best option. I tried Orvis and had high hopes but was disappointed.

I have the Simms Freestone waders and I'm very pleased with them. I've used them for 3 years at least on over 50 trips a year and no leaks so far. My only complaint is that they're made too small at the waist.

I am sporting a pair of 15 year old G3's. Booties have been replaced and have 20 or so AquaSeal repairs and patched. I have a new pair of Freestones standing by, comfortable but the new ones ain't gonna last. Im considering buying stock in AquaSeal.

Reactions: CRB
my last G3 lasted almost 10 years. then they came out with the newer style G3s in 2018. im still wearing my 2018 G3s. no issues yet. im not sure what ill do when these waders start to leak. sucks. ill always put the money down for quality gear but if simms goes to crap then ill have to look elsewhere.

Back