W&M Rods and reels?

FlyCast

FlyCast

All,

i have been looking at purchasing a Wright&mcgill dragonfly, and one of their Gen II S-curve series rods. has anyone used there gear? and is it worth buying? i do mostly small stream, mainly trout fishing so dosnt need to be extremely durable, but i want to by something that will last, and not cost me a fortune.

The Dragon Fly reels seem to be OK but nothing sets them apart from the zillions of other very similar Asian made reels on the market.

However, the s-curve rods suck IMO. Heavy, slow action, weird rubber grip. They are also rather ugly. The price point of these rods is on the low end and they are only one step above the stuff you'd find at wal-mart in terms of quality. There are a lot of good beginner/budget rods out there right now, but these aren't one of them.

What is your current budget for a new rod/reel outfit?

The Wright & McGill rod and reel go for about $100 each.

For $159 you can get the Orvis Encounter outfit which includes line but the smallest rod is an 8 1/2' 5 wt.

ENCOUNTER FLY ROD OUTFITS

Cabelas and LL Bean also have outfits that should fit your budget.

I have looked at the encounter combo before. They look nice but it's a 50 dollar reel. I am looking for like a 8'6 or 9' 4wt rod with fast action if the orvis combo is good I'll consider it

I would also suggest keeping your eyes peeled right here in the swap forum, doesn't hurt putting a want ad in there for what your looking for. I've taken advantage of some great deals buying used gear!

The s curve rods are not even remotely fast action. And the 5 wt model that I have fished is one of the most top heavy rods I have ever seen. You would need a 5 pound reel to balance the darn thing.

Have to agree about what's been said about W&M.

I own a dragonfly 5/6 and use it when I'm out for trout. It's a decent little number but nothing too fantastic. If the price it right it will do the job for you. I've landed 20" fish on the drag without an issue.

The S curve rods are a far departure (disappointing one at that) from their essentials line they had previously. If you could pick up a W&M Essentials for a good price I'd jump on that. I have it in a 9' 4wt and it's one of my favorites rods.

Back