Vise Advice

2 things I like are the Dr Slick bent shaft scissors and the Renzetti soft foam tool caddy.

I have both. I learned on a regal and am very happy with it. The Regal is what sits out on my bench. I'm not worried about it getting dinged or moved around. (note on that later)

I am new to the Renzetti, but as I don't tie a ton of flies, any speed savings are minimal, but I like the finer jaws for tying 20's. I tie a bunch of parachutes and have never found spinning the bobbin around the hook to be a problem. I am hoping to spend more time with the vise this winter.

Now back to the regal. When I first purchased the vise, I got a travel base and had a local machine shop cut it to about 10 and fit it into a 3/8" think steel plate. It was the same guys that ran the fly shop, but I told them what I wanted. The whole base is painted black and I've glued felt to the bottom. This is like a medalion base on steroids. There is no way it's going to tip over.

It don't matter which you use and you will get comfortable with either one. I'm sure the really expensive vises are nice, but anything more than a Thompson Model A is really just a bit of convenience.

Carl

I ended up going with a Regal. I got the Stainless Jaw and the Travel Base. I got it for a sweet deal at the symposium, brand new. Now just have to get more experienced at tying and its game on!

Back