Vise Advice

F

fisherboy3

Looking to get a good vise. Ive been told the Regal Medallion is the best bang for the buck, but i will be wanting to tie some flies that go smaller then the size 22 limit. The Renzetti Traveler looks like it is a good vise also, with smaller hook sizes fitting in the vise. Any suggestions?-Kev

Congratulations, you've just summed up the eventual two answers to this thread and the over 9000 that have come before it in your OP.

Renzetti vs Regal. Decide which features appeal to you. Buy it. Enjoy.

try BEFORE you buy. then YOU decide

I got the regal with midge jaws - and can tie #32 flies on it with no problems.
But I can also tie larger flies on it - up to #10 - too.

I really like not having to fiddle around with adjustments when changing hook sizes, and am happy with the regal.

dryflyguy wrote:
I got the regal with midge jaws - and can tie #32 flies on it with no problems.
But I can also tie larger flies on it - up to #10 - too.

I really like not having to fiddle around with adjustments when changing hook sizes, and am happy with the regal.

I got the same thing and agree with Bill 100%

fisherboy - I own both of the vises you are considering.

I actually own two Regal Medallions - one with the standard jaws, and one with the stainless jaws. The stainless jaw version is rated for hook sizes 2 through 32.

The Renzetti can handle a bit larger hooks (sz 4 ?) down to size 32 as well.

Having tied many thousands of flies on a Regal and a Renzetti, I've found there's nothing the Regal can do that the Renzetti can't, but there IS things that the Renzetti can do that the Regal can't (ie true rotary techniques).

Then there's the "myth" of the Regal's simplicity of hook placement. Both the Regal and Renzetti require 3 steps to hold a hook.

Regal - squeeze lever, insert hook, release lever.
Renzetti - insert hook, rotate jaw knob, rotate cam lever.

The Renzetti actually only requires 2 steps if using the same size hooks, so you gain no speed at all with a Regal.

A stainless jaw Regal with pedestal base also costs almost twice as much as a Renzetti Traveler.

Sorry to muddy the water, but I love my NOR-VICE with the midge jaw.
you can check them out on Youtube.

Norm is not the most hyper fella so try to stay awake.
I also have a feeling Norm may be Santa..................yep

I just bought an Apex Atlas vise and have tied down to 24 with no problems. It looks like it will do smaller but anything smaller is too hard for me to see anymore.

I own an ancient generic AA vice. I tie very low volume and infrequently. And, I don't really enjoy tying so having fine wares and materials and tools has no hold on me. This said:

I would approach your search methodically by determining how and what I mostly tie. Will rotary capabilities and quality benefit me me more than a few minutes a month? If not, downgrade that option somewhat. Does the time needed to secure the hook matter to you? Are you tying bulk or fast in any event? I could go on, but I would compare each feature as it relates to your needs as a tyer.

I would sooner make a careful comparison of the comfort and location of my desk and chair than I would about my vice, but the same approach can be used for both. That means, I would sit in the chair before I purchased based upon another person's preference.

Heritage Angler offered you some solid points of comparison of the two vices you mention. He clearly has a preference for his needs and if they match yours, take his advice. But as someone with little experience on these vices, you should consider looking up the manufacturer of these and other comparable vices and find the specifications and features. Narrow it down to a few and go into the retail establishment you are willing to buy from and ask them to allow you to check out the vice in person. Ideally, you would want to tie on it at least for a few minutes to run through execution of your most-used techniques.

Great googlymoogly did I write the above post. I must have but I'm not sure when. I have tied everything on my AA from giant salt water size down to sizes so small i felt ridiculous tying them. I don't tie smaller then 26/28 just because it seems pointless to go smaller. I will admit that I enjoy tying bigger stuff and find the little stuff an annoying neccasary evil to satisfy my craving for cheap and simple. I also have a rotary vise. I Never use the rotary feature other then to turn it every now and again just to see if it still rotates.

If your new to tying there is nothing wrong with starting with an AA or other vise so you can learn what you want out of a vice. Then is time to shop and tie on a better vise. Demoing a vice when you don't know what your doing seems rather pointless to the endstate.

Buying a vise is a difficult decision so enjoy the process but as jack said, what's good for one usually is not good for all.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Looking to get a good vise. Ive been told the Regal Medallion is the best bang for the buck, but i will be wanting to tie some flies that go smaller then the size 22 limit. The Renzetti Traveler looks like it is a good vise also, with smaller hook sizes fitting in the vise. Any suggestions?-Kev

Going back to the OP ^ "looking to get a good vise..."
and comparing the Regal & Rensetti Traveler.

Ed responded that he actually owns both and prefers the Renzetti, and he went on to explain why. Very valuable info from a very reliable source.

I too own both and have tied thousands of flies on both vises. I too prefer the Renzetti, especailly since you mentioned wanting to tie smaller flies. No special midge jaws are needed with the Renzetti. In additon, I find the rotary feature very useful in certain situations.

I own both and I prefer my Renzetti. If you are interested in my Regal Medallion let me know, maybe we can make a deal as I have no need for 2 vices.

Ill be looking for a renzetti traveler soon. If Regal made the vise come with a jaw instead of having to buy another jaw, that could hold smaller flies then i wouldve shot for that, but since the renzetti is cheaper and can hold smaller flies then i will try to get a hold of one.

Possibly going to get a hold of one at the fly tying symposium, if any of you guys will be there let me know id like to meet some board members. Never met anyone except Kray.

fisherboy3 wrote:
If Regal made the vise come with a jaw instead of having to buy another jaw, that could hold smaller flies then i wouldve shot for that, but since the renzetti is cheaper and can hold smaller flies then i will try to get a hold of one.

you can buy the regal with a traditional head, stainless steel head, big game head or the midge head. take your pick

you dont have to another vise head to tie smaller flies. 3 of the heads will tie down to 32 and the big game head ties down to 22

http://regalvise.com/vises.html

fisherboy3 wrote:
Ill be looking for a renzetti traveler soon. If Regal made the vise come with a jaw instead of having to buy another jaw, that could hold smaller flies then i wouldve shot for that, but since the renzetti is cheaper and can hold smaller flies then i will try to get a hold of one.

I would disagree that the renzetti is cheaper.
You can buy a regal traveler vise for just about the same cost as the renzetti traveler
Sure, the regal medallion with stainless jaws is more expensive.
But renzetti also has more expensive models too

Another vise to consider, the Griffith "Montana Mongoose". I have had one for nearly ten years, it works great. I tie down to size 26 but it will tie smaller flies. It comes with a hard side travel case, 2 bases,ceramic bobbin and even a hackle gauge. It's made in the USA, great quality, has a reasonable price and a lifetime warranty. I bought mine factory direct.

I have the APEX Anvil and love it. Also have a Regal classic that is not rotary. Like it but would rather the rotary...

I think I'm going to go with the Renzetti Traveler 2200 or 2300. It would seem a lot cheaper to buy a vise and not have to change heads in order to tie smaller flies. The regal stainless and regal midge head on the pedestal are 275+. The Renzetti is only 199.

Another quick question- best brand for tools? How are Dr. Slicks?
I have a c and f bobbin already that is awesome. Just want some opinions.

Back