Virginia Beach

dc410

dc410

I'm going to be going to Virginia Beach for a family vacation shortly. I was thinking of dabbling in some surf fishing in the early mornings before everyone else is up and around. From some of my research this seems like this may be a doable thing. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing when it comes to saltwater flyfishing. Figuring on just throwing some big Clousers or Half and Halfs. If anybody has any information or experience in surf fishing this area I would really appreciate some insight. I have already done some research about saltwater licenses for Virginia but I am not totally sure that surf fishing is allowed on all areas of Virginia Beach. Thanks.

Surf fishing is allowed at Sandbridge (or at least it used to be during the off season). Just walk the beach early in the morning and cast a Clouser Minnow in the wash and you ought to be able to connect with a flounder or three. Other fish are around but may be spotty close to shore - this could include speckled trout, redfish, small bluefish, and perhaps some other stuff. A 3" long, green over white Clouser will catch 'em all.

I don't know if it's still there but when I lived down there about a decade ago, there was a great aquarium in Virgina Beach. If it's still there, it's worth a visit.

I've got a ton of salt gear - shoot me a PM if you'd like to borrow some.

Back