vest v.s pack

Only thing I don't like about chest packs is that I can't see my feet when I'm wading, walking over rocks,,Danger

Just another option to consider. Personally, I like a chest box, rather than a pack. The two I know of are Richardson and Downs chest fly boxes. I have a Richardson, but the Downs looks very similar (cheaper, but plastic instead of metal).

They are comfortable and flies are incredibly easy to get to. My camera, when I take it, is velcro'd to the front of the box which makes for quick and easy access. Keys, shot, tippet, etc. is put into a coat pocket in the wintertime, and in the summer it hangs out in a small belt pouch. Nippers, thermometer, leader straightener, etc. all are attached to the box straps with zingers.

I stopped using a vest years ago and would not go back. As others have mentioned, once I switched from a vest to a pack the strain on my neck and subesquently my shoulders and back was reduced dramatically. During short trips - I don't even feel the pack. When you get to the super long days on the water and 7 or 8 straight days of wearing the pack I start to feel it. But those types of trips were killer with a vest.

I use the Orvis Pack that was the model similar to this one http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_L5_Product.cfm?productid=34199 that they don't make anymore.

What I find great about the pack vs the vest is when I peel a layer or two after fishing the cool morning, I can put it in the back pack and/or on the straps outside the back pack and it's really not an issue. Cramming that into the back of a vest, along with water bottles, etc. is just not feasible.

A few years ago I switched from a vest or chest pack to a hip pack from William Joseph (the catalyst), and I will never go back. The hip pack is the way to go.

http://www.williamjoseph.net/product_details.php

For me its a waist/hip pack or less (lanyard + 1 flybox). My waist pack is a LL Bean pack from their hiking/outdoor gear catalog. Big enough for all my gear, plus a sandwich and packable jacket if needed. It has 2 water bottle holders and some attachment rings.

I just bought a hip pack - from Fishpond not WJ - but it's very similar. I'm looking forward to fishing with it this weekend for Steel.

heres my opinion if anyone wants it i use a chest pack and i like how everyhting isright there but what i dont like is how i cant see where im placing my feet so i would say a vest for bigger guys or a hip type pack i hear the wj pack with the magnetic closures is very nice and keeps your flies dry i think ill be switching soon i used to like a vest but they dont make em as big as i am lol i even used to use a kreel when i bait fished that wasnt too bad just hurt my neck

Back