Vest Recs

ErnieBall

ErnieBall

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new vest, and have been pricing some online -- anyone have any suggestions for one at a decent price (under 50-80 range)

I currently have the Orvis one strap pack that is ok, I use it for Steelhead, but it simply does not get the job done for trout fishing

try to find a used patagonia pack vest

Patagonia pack vest

I rarely used a vest anymore, but i have used the pack vest a lot.
its minimalist but has a lot of storage and all the pockets stay closed. for long days or whatever, the back pack provides more room than you need for whatever you want to bring along. or for a hydration bladder for the hot weather and long hike ins. Best of all, that little patagonia label makes you look cool!

I am in the market for a new vest also. I have my eyes on these.

This one is a lot like my present vest and would require little "getting used to" and the price is right:

Cabelas Model Vest

This one is a bit over your budget and mine, but I like the looks of it:

LL Bean Chest Pack Style Vest

A wading jacket for cool weather, and a small chestpack for the summer months has been more than adequate for me. I did away with the vest altogether.

I carry my gear in a box in the trunk of my car, and go through it to see what I actually need to take for each individual trip. I've found that minimalistic storage has been plenty.

Of course its out of our price range -- isnt that how it always happens?? haha --- that Cabelas vest is one that I am definitely looking at -- it looks to be one of the best deals I've seen and has pretty much everthing I need

I have a vest that is called Cabelas Willow Creek, though they must have changed their model or something because the pocket arrangement in the picture is different than mine. This ones the same color and the collar, snap, etc., look the same, and its actually about $20 cheaper than mine was.

Mine is a solidly constructed garment with plenty of storage and a nice pocket arrangement. If I had a complaint its that its a bit heavy, and too warm for mid-summer use. I do like the collar.

I rarely use it anymore as I just use a Richardson and go vest free. But for those coldweather trips, or if I need the back pouch to carry a lunch, etc., then the Cabelas vest is still a fine vest.

P.S. I'm 90% for the jam now. Can't take vacation, but Coburn is close enough I can go up Friday night and stay till midday Sunday. My vest is still in pretty good condition, I'd be willing to throw it in the gear swap pile, I really don't foresee myself using it all that much anymore.

I bought this one last year on sale for around $40 and love it. It's light, cool and if you're not exactly gifted with finesse (like me) it dries out super fast!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97984

I bought one of these last year. Check out their website. Quality is very nice. I bought the confluence.

http://www.williamjoseph.net/packs_and_vests.php

trouthunting wrote:
I bought this one last year on sale for around $40 and love it. It's light, cool and if you're not exactly gifted with finesse (like me) it dries out super fast!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97984

Haha -- I know what you mean about finesse --- I am definitely leaning towards this one, thanks again for the rec!

I have a similiar one from Cabelas that Jack posted. The only difference it seems mine about 10 years old (good condition) but it is a shorty vest. Keeps out of the water wheil you wade in deeper spots.

Jack- be willing to let you try it out if you like. Just let me know.

If I were to go back to a vest ( i have a fanny pack that converts to a chest pack, now, although I wouldn't call it low profile) I would get a
shorty. I hate having my vest or pack or whatever get soaked if I have to wade deep.

tomgamber wrote:
If I were to go back to a vest ( i have a fanny pack that converts to a chest pack, now, although I wouldn't call it low profile) I would get a
shorty. I hate having my vest or pack or whatever get soaked if I have to wade deep.

I see what you mean -- I am just so used to the normal size vests that I think it would feel a little uncomfortable for me -- I'll definitely look into it though

ErnieBall wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

I see what you mean -- I am just so used to the normal size vests that I think it would feel a little uncomfortable for me -- I'll definitely look into it though

I got to liking the shortie vests when I lived in Idaho and did probably 1/3 of my fishing from a float tube. Keeps your goodies out of the water without having to unload the vest into the tube pockets. It would be ideal if you are going to fish water liek the Yough or littlJ with any regularity. Most of the other water I fish, the fanny pack is perfect.

This is the one I have BTW. It holds a ton of stuff and as I said it works well as a chest pack but its not exactly low profile.

I think the real question is what are you looking to accomplish. Meaning..do you want something you can just pick up and take with you anywhere and have everything you'll need? Then a vest is what you want. I personally have become stream oriented. I have a flies for each stream that I know are a mainstaple. These days I carry a lanyard.....thirty bucks!!! and then pay a little extra for waders that have a pocket in the front to hold a fly box or two. In the spring like JayL said a wading jacket or raincoat can hold a lot. I personally like to travel light.......but whatever you want to do. I have bought a couple of vests that I thought would work out good but they didn't for me. The lanyard has.

You'll figure it out. It's really trial and error!!!!

Good Luck

I would recommend the William & Joseph confluence. It might be $9 over budget, but I think it's money worth spending. It doesn't dig into your shoulders and has all the bells and whistles you need without a ton of weight. Just google it, and look at it yourself. The flip down fly storage is really great. You can see the layout of all your flies and it you fumble with one it doesn't land in the stream. This advice is comparing it to a Orvis pack which was a shoulder killer and a Fishpond pack with broken zippers and just not as functional. Both were more expensive between $100 and $150 dollar packs. W&J at $89 with all that it offers was the best buy.

tomgamber wrote:
ErnieBall wrote:
tomgamber wrote:

I got to liking the shortie vests when I lived in Idaho and did probably 1/3 of my fishing from a float tube. Keeps your goodies out of the water without having to unload the vest into the tube pockets. It would be ideal if you are going to fish water liek the Yough or littlJ with any regularity. Most of the other water I fish, the fanny pack is perfect.

This is the one I have BTW. It holds a ton of stuff and as I said it works well as a chest pack but its not exactly low profile.

I can definitely see where float fishing would require a short pack. I figure that once you started doing that a bunch, you probably just got used to it and thought "hey, this works for everything" - different strokes for different folks I suppose, I just feel like the shorty would feel too "bulky" on me - Oh well, the search continues

wetnet wrote:
I would recommend the William & Joseph confluence. It might be $9 over budget, but I think it's money worth spending. It doesn't dig into your shoulders and has all the bells and whistles you need without a ton of weight. Just google it, and look at it yourself. The flip down fly storage is really great. You can see the layout of all your flies and it you fumble with one it doesn't land in the stream. This advice is comparing it to a Orvis pack which was a shoulder killer and a Fishpond pack with broken zippers and just not as functional. Both were more expensive between $100 and $150 dollar packs. W&J at $89 with all that it offers was the best buy.

I have been looking at the W and J -- one question for ya -- where do you put your net?

Even vests can feel bulky. Just dunk them a few times. My son fishes on his belly at times and for hours on end. He has fished about every vest and pack they sell and was fortunate to have new packs and vests given to him. All top of the line. The $89 W&J confluence is the only one I paid for and the only one he uses all the time. (It was a Christmas present) The good news is I get all the $150 rejects. The bad news is they cut into my shoulders and have pockets in all the wrong places or the zipper is broken.

Have fun shopping. Cabelas does have some good stuff but it isn't until your into 3 hours of steady fishing when your new pack or vest will tell you the true story.

Yes that was a small problem. I'll tell you he is a die hard, everything has got to work now fisherman. He has a couple of secrets. Nothing you buy is perfect. You can however add some poetic license to it. If you open up the back pack, inside there is a red loop. He cut a hole in the area above it and fished it through. He has his magnet attached to it, net to magnet so he can reach behind him and grab the handle. Looks upside down to most but the net rides high on your back and it doesn't get hung up on brush as much and to just reach back and grab the handle works great. That back pack is also big enough to fit a water bladder in and the shoulder straps are such he can fish the sip hose thru.

Just so you know even though he cut a hole in the pack with a knife that hole has never opened up any bigger than it was to start without anything doing anything to it.

Back