Vest Recs

wetnet wrote:
Yes that was a small problem. I'll tell you he is a die hard, everything has got to work now fisherman. He has a couple of secrets. Nothing you buy is perfect. You can however add some poetic license to it. If you open up the back pack, inside there is a red loop. He cut a hole in the area above it and fished it through. He has his magnet attached to it, net to magnet so he can reach behind him and grab the handle. Looks upside down to most but the net rides high on your back and it doesn't get hung up on brush as much and to just reach back and grab the handle works great. That back pack is also big enough to fit a water bladder in and the shoulder straps are such he can fish the sip hose thru.

Just so you know even though he cut a hole in the pack with a knife that hole has never opened up any bigger than it was to start without anything doing anything to it.

I must tell you , I wasnt really considering this W&J at first, but it is really looking appealing to me right now -- it seems like something that I might really like. I am going to be hiking/fishing a lot this summer and to have all my stuff in just one pack instead of carrying my day pack and vest would be really great --- If I am dropping 100 bucks on a vest , I would like to try it on first -- so, that may be the drawback from ordering it onlien -- but thanks for the tip, I am definitely seriously looking at this

I switched over from a vest to the vest/pack a few years ago. I carry a lot of stuff, and my vest dug into my shoulders and gave me a sore back by the end of the day. The first vest/pack I bought was a Cabelas model. It was decent, but I hated all the stuff being up-front in a single large pouch. The pouch stuck out in front and I couldn’t see where I was walking or wading, also my line would snag on it when casting. I now use that vest/pack for bass fishing.

I bought an Orvis hydration pack/vest (the old model), and removed the bladder in the pack. With this model vest/pack there are two pouches that hang on each side out of my way. The pouches carry my fly boxes and all the doodads and stuff I use when fishing. The pack in the back holds everything I need like a raincoat, extra stuff, lunch and drinks. There are bungies on the pack to attach my jacket when the day warms and I take it off. There are also two net thingies and straps on the side of the pack that carry my pack-rod tube. This feature comes in handy for hiking into small streams. I can carry my 7-piece rod in it's tube and assemble it when I reach the stream. The only downside to my vest/pack is that it rides a little lower than I would like, and gets wet when wading deep.

I wouldn’t trade vest/pack for anything. It’s comfortable, backaches at the end of the day are a distant memory, I can see where I’m going since the pouches hang to the side, and it carries all the stuff I think I need for a day on the stream. Good luck.

Go with a chest box and you'll never go back. For me, its a chest box for flies, floatant, and leaders, and a little waterproof pouch on my belt for tippet, shot, and tobacco.

The only time I wear a vest is on those full day trips way back in somewhere when I have to take a lunch, and even then, the vest is near empty except for the lunch.

I use a lanyard.

Can hold nippers,floatant,tippet spools,hemo's,license and even weights. I dont like the feeling of weight on the lanyard so that goes in a pocket. At most I carry two medium sized fly boxes and they go in the waders,shirt or jacket pocket.

Jack- have a downs box I rarely use if you want to try out-feel free to borrow it. It will be empty of course. Has 4 trays and holds enought flies for a season.

I know it's not the standard, but I picked up an Army pilot vest years ago and have been very satisfied with it - it's green nylon mesh with exterior zippered pockets and inside velcro pouches; also can have a holster, but that can be removed; and an adjustable lacing for the back - and it's held up extremely well. I don't know what they are going for at surplus these days, but if I can find a site that shows them, I'll post a link.

I checked. I couldn't find it. There's a newer version - the U.S. Army survival vest, but the pockets are different on the front and the design looks slightly different, especially the right front pocket and the left side pocket. Don't know how well it would work for fly boxes and such. The older version I have handles everything well. They are very lightweight, and don't dig into shoulders, and I like that I can attach a ring clip towel (same as on a golf bag) to the back through the open mesh, so I can dry my hands when I need to. No need to punch any holes into material to attach retractables or license holders, etc. Anyway, good luck finding a system that you enjoy.

Here is a simple secret. Go to Walmart and spend less than $20 on a vest. I've had mine for over 5 years and I carry everything I need in it no matter if I am hitting natives or out at the Lake Erie tribs for steelhead.

I've fished next to folks with the fancy named vests and I chuckle as I catch and release trout while they aere standing there struggling.

It doesn't have to be name brand or fancy to work.

AlwaysWading wrote:
Here is a simple secret. Go to Walmart and spend less than $20 on a vest. I've had mine for over 5 years and I carry everything I need in it no matter if I am hitting natives or out at the Lake Erie tribs for steelhead.

I've fished next to folks with the fancy named vests and I chuckle as I catch and release trout while they aere standing there struggling.

It doesn't have to be name brand or fancy to work.

very good advice, and dont think that I have ruled that out --- the thing about it is ---is that I am a big proponent of backcountry fishing, and will more often than not need to be taking more than just tackle needs (ala small propane cook system, water bladder, etc) -- I really like to hike, so I try to combine hobbies so one of them doesnt feel like they are being neglected ;)

Back