Vest/Pack Organization

djs134

djs134

New to the forum here and spent some time searching through the topics and some of the posts. Some pretty good info here.

Been down the vest to small chest pack road and recently purchased a Fishpond Double Haul Chestpack/Backpack. Found myself on the stream without a jacket/vest/lunch too often. Also liked the idea of being able to just take the chestpack when I'm only going to be on the stream for a couple of hours.

Over the years (20+), I've become interested in how people organize their vests and packs. There's a constant struggle between carrying enough to be effective and comfortable and too much.

So, how do you set up your vest and packs? What do you carry and how? Pics are always great.

Man, get ready for a bunch of opinions. All will have merit, except maybe mine.

I'm a bad role model because I put everything I can think of in my vest. On top of way too many flies and fishing stuff, I also have an inhaler, tylenol, sun screen and bug spray. I'll bet my vest weighes 10 pounds! No wonder I need a back brace wading belt!

I just bought a new vest and transferred everything over. My new vest has a bunch of pockets and I even had to throw some stuff away because the new vest with it's 20 some pockets, didn't have room. You think that would be a wake up call that I carry too much stuff but I'm thinking my vest just doesn't have enough room! :roll:

Been down that road! The chest pack portion of my new system is slightly smaller that the last one, so I had to remove some stuff.... and realized that I had been carrying things I hadn't used in years!

One upside to changing out pack or vests every couple of years, I guess. This time I switched to ultra thin fly boxes, I can carry my flies (nymphs, soft hackles, etc.) with less bulk and weight now.

I forgot to transfer the bug spray from my old pack to the new one and first day out the mosquitoes used me as a buffet.... so that's a MUST!

Imagine that.... I'm the only one on here with OCD.......

If I reach for something and it is in an inconvenient place, I move it to a more convenient place. Unless it is something I haven't reach for in a while, in which case, I let it be less convenient. In this way, important things "migrate" to more convenient places.

True enough. I guess I've never been perfectly satisfied with the vest or pack I am currently using. Anyone else like that? I added a velcro holder for my cigar and a rod holder to my last pack. Anyone else "hack" their vest/pack? Add straps/tabs/pockets?

I was going to add a rod holder (velcro) and then found the Smith Creek Rod Holder...decided to spend the $ rather than try to make one out of pvc pipe and neoprene foam.

I honestly think the solution is about 3 solutions. Different packs/vests for different fishing situations.

I pack very light when fishing for brookies. Small waist pack that holds tippet, floatant, 2 fly boxes, and a bottle of water. Have zingers on the outside for nippers and hemos. That's it.

Average day should be something fairly light, but not too bulky (sling pack). Just put in there what you need for the day. Example is a spinnerfall. You only need a single fly box and many of the same items as I use for brookies. Maybe enough room for some food and a headlamp.

All day trip, don't know what you'll need - that's your big pack/vest with all the zippers and compartments. Carry everything as well as food, water, raincoat, bug spray, etc.

Just make sure you check everything before you head for water or you'll have it in one of your other packs.

If you feel the need to carry that much nonsense, why not simply by a Plano tacklebox and be done with it?

I cry foul on Gfen. There is a little room to carry things you may only need every several trips. Among them-- 2X tippet, extra leaders, strike indicators, ultraviolet sealant, chapstick for that matter, splitshots, toilet paper, etc....

10057480.jpg

(I thought I crossed the line when I went from a pocketful of garbage to a 12x4x10" bag full of garbage, but it carried a waterbottle and a protien bar so i felt empowered)

gfen wrote:

If you feel the need to carry that much nonsense, why not simply by a Plano tacklebox and be done with it?

Or this?

Attachments

• G's Junk.jpg
    G's Junk.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 4
Flies - in my Richardson Chest box
Leaders - leader wallet in the chest box
floatant - in floatant holder of chest box
nippers - on zinger attached to strap to chest box
forceps - snipped to strap of chest box

Tippet, shot, car keys, phone - in zippered pouch on chest of waders.

The end. That's pretty much all I carry. On the all day trips where I will not be near the car, I do have a camo fanny, which will hold the lunch and 2 drinks. On these trips, the stuff in the zippered pouch usually gets transferred as well.

afishinado wrote:
Or this?

Do you just keep a file of pictures of me or what, its kinda stalkery.. Kinda hot, too. I mean, y'know, you're not my type, but I'm sort of into the fact that someone's so hip to me.

Truth is, Afish, my barn door just doesn't open that way. But we can still be friends, right?

8970843430_59c2e293e4.jpg

Please update your records. You'll notice the swank Orvis bag has been replaced with milsurp because my elite hipster status requires it, and not just any milsurp, but Euro because I learned if you apply Euro to your fly fishaments it becomes obviously better.

Also, because of goofy shape of Orvis bag it was hard to fit things inside of it. I usually wore it at hip, not high on back so kidney shape wasn't helpful. The new ones are ugly. And more expensive.

Back