Vest or Pack

I had and really liked the WJ confluence with zippers. I traded it to a board member, because I had a 50% off coupon for WJ. I then purchased the magnetic closure confluence and I love it. I can open and close it with one hand, which comes in handy a lot. I have had zero problems with the enclosure opening by themselves. I fit everything in my pack that I need.

SBecker wrote:
I had and really liked the WJ confluence with zippers. I traded it to a board member, because I had a 50% off coupon for WJ. I then purchased the magnetic closure confluence and I love it. I can open and close it with one hand, which comes in handy a lot. I have had zero problems with the enclosure opening by themselves. I fit everything in my pack that I need.

Why do I think I now have your old WJ?? I picked it up off another member.

Curious, did the magnetic pockets add any weight to the pack? I had them on an Orvis vest and that vest, empty, was heavy.

You possibly do, don't know. I have not noticed any weight gains from the magnets compared to the zippers.

I just recently converted from an old Orvis Guide Series Shortie to the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack.

Im not 100% sold. I really like the back support in the pack, but when stripping line and managing leaders they tend to get hung up on the end of the pack in the water bottle holders.

Additionally, wearing the waist pack requires that I move the pack back and forth from front to back which in turn opens the velcro belt on my waders. Its a pain in the ***. The pack itself is great. Its just the issues of the waist pack versus a vest.

I may go back to the vest expcept for hot days and use the Simms waist belt for back support.

I have a vest... I have a chest pack.... I have a sling pack... I have a lanyard. I love going lanyard only for quick trips. Otherwise no matter how many other ways I slice it I always seem to gravitate back to my Orvis slingpack. Love it!

The price of packs/vests are appalling now a days. Spending 80 bucks for a fanny pack is ridiculous imo. Went into a brand new ****'s Sporting Goods the other day and saw an old timer pick up a pack that couldn't fit more than 3 or 4 items in it and the sticker said $60. I'll carry around a walmart bag before I spend that much on an 80's fanny pack.

I use waist packs. I have 3 packs set up for different types of fishing and I just grab them and go. If I am only going out for a couple hours locally. I'll just take out what I need and put it in my wader pockets.

I made the switch to a waist pack a few years ago. There are pros and cons about a waist pack, nothing is perfect.

The pros: It can be moved out of the way when bushwacking and casting. it's versital, it can be worn in front, behind, or on the side. The water bottle holder is awesome. It fits more fly boxes and tackel than I could fit in my vest.

The cons: Can't carry rain gear, have to wear it. Does not work well with a backpack. pack ends up in the water when wading deep.

The wasit pack is a great piece of gear, but its not for every situation.

Ryguyfi suggested a really nice vest from ll. Bean. Lots of carrying room and a lumbar support belt tjat transfers the weight from your shoulders to your hips.

For you guys that are using the Orvis sling, are you able to attach a landing net to it? I'm really contemplating making the switch to the sling...

I have a simms headwaters chest pack and purchased a fishpond vest/pack combo for trips where I needed a ton of gear and carry water+lunch. I like chest packs because they force you to go light and minimal, but having the wasatch tech vest is soooo much more comfortable for a long day of fishing. Plus I can carry my smallie streamer box and my one-two trout boxes, plus lunch, plus rain coat, plus spare gloves, plus water, plus spare rod if i wanted. Tons of room and it distributes the weight nicely. Oh, and it has a latch point to attach my net. One thing chest packs lack. I like to go light when i can(spring creek for example, i know I am only fishing scuds, PTs, midges, and the dry for the season), but being a complete tank and having the world at your finger tips isnt such a bad thing either(yough, where I could carry my 7wt with fast sink tip for fishing streamers, swap spools for a floating line, switch to a 5wt for more precise dry fishing or nymphing. This is the water where you really need it all)

wgmiller wrote:
For you guys that are using the Orvis sling, are you able to attach a landing net to it? I'm really contemplating making the switch to the sling...
You can. My friend has the "Orvis" brand and between the two of us we have 3 cheaper designs all the same basic idea. My problems is all the weight is on one shoulder and thats my casting arm. After fishing for awhile my shoulder is killing me. Same issue I had with surf style plug bags but with those I have a belt to relieve some weight. They do carry alot of stuff just not the home made boxes for the super large 6-8" flies for stripers.

Has anyone used a Fishpond Waterdance pack with a "normal" day pack type back back? I'm think about getting a Fishpond for hikes but I'll need a backback for all day adventures.

I wear a Richardson. No vest. Typically no pack. It has solved the back issues I used to have while fishing.

There are always a few things in my wader pocket. Key's, tippet, shot. I'll also wear a waste pack on some backcountry excursions, primarily to carry drinks and a lunch.

Back