Vest or Lanyard

J

joseywales

I just put a really nice, $160 Orvis Vest on eBay (I know there's a Swap forum here, but being new to the forum I didn't think I could post it here). Anyway, it's an excellent vest, the bungi tool cords are on the left chest pocket and have a zippere enclosure, so they aren't dangling around. Even had a water shield pocked for a camer or phone, which I really liked. I really liked the vest, but perhaps it's because I'm not really tall that I decided to try lanyards. I just felt like the vest was too much. I hope as I get more involved in the sport that I don't reget selling it, but I need line, wooly buggers, thing-a-ma-bobs, etc., etc. And I'm really trying NOT to hold on to things I don't use.

Are you guys using lanyards or vests? If you prefer lanyards, why? Do you still keep a vest handy and why?

Thanks

Just so you know there are a lot more options out there: chest packs, slings, and the list goes on.

I will say this...the typical progression is to buy something that holds more and more and more and then realizes its too much and then go simple.

I will say just skip to the simple and necessities, but it won't stop the progression.

Btw, I have a Owens chest pack with 5 extra trays, 2 backpacks and side pouches. I used to switch out trays and on and on. Now I just have 3 trays that I use and carry 1 side pouch to tippet and shot.

I actually fit all my junk in two pockets this summer. Small fly box in one, and leader/tippet wallet and a couple tools in the other. A LOT cooler than my usual chest pack or sling. Plus I don't get bogged down with crap I don't need. This has been a gradual pendulum swing from originally fishing with a vest a looong time ago, to a chest pack, to a little sling, to now pockets. Who knows what's next?

I'll put it like this, I have tried everything out there. vests, chest packs, hip packs, sling packs, and lanyards. I ended up returning to the vest, just because I couldn't get comfortable with the other stuff.

I use my vest (for terminal tackle and 4 fly boxes) and a hip pack (1 more fly box, food and drinks) when I am going all day. I also carry a lanyard in the truck for quickies on the way home from work, if the situation presents itself.

just my 2 cents.

I fished with a vest for many years but when I bought my first float tube, the vest was useless. I then lost everything in a house fire. FF 30 years and started fishing with a waist/chest pack which I do occasionally but, now I fish with a lanyard with a small box of flies and I also use a sling pack with more flies and other stuff and leave that on shore

I use a lanyard that holds my tippet and tools and wear a waist pack to hold flies and other stuff. Never liked vests cause after all day wearing them my neck and shoulders were always sore.

I have a vest, lanyard, and a chest pack that I use in different situations. I use the smallest thing I can get away with. So, If it is going to be a small stream, or short outing and I don't need to carry all of my boxes, I go with the lanyard and one small fly bow with a decent selection of my most used flies. If it's a little bigger stream or a longer trip, I'll go with the chest pack. If it is new water or if I plan to be out for an extended period of time, I will pack my vest with everything I might need. I like having the option of using what "feels" right for each situation.

Thanks. I actually have a Loon waist pack?? It snaps around the waist, has two boxes velcro'd to drop down pockets. The boxes are not the foam type, but they are water proof. However, they each have 3 tabs that you have to simulataneously lift to open the box. That's a PITA. But, if you fall in to Niagara, your boxes will never open...

I started making a Lanyard on Tuesday and am now making a significant change, so it will not be hanging on my neck. Stay tuned for that one...

Clothesline works great for making lanyards.

For me it depends on the fishing.

Small mountain streams or even evening spinnerfalls where I KNOW what to expect, it's been a small hip pouch for me lately. 1-2 fly boxes, nippers, shot, hemos, tippet, snacks and water.

If I'm not sure what to expect, or on an all day trip then I pack the kitchen sink. That's me at least.

I switched from a vest to a waist pack this spring. Along with my 4 drawer chest box, I'm able to carry everything I need.

I use a chest box and lanyard for about 90% of my fishing. I'll wear a WJ vest pack if I think I'll be out for an extended time. It has all the things I might need but probably won't need in it. for the occasionally small stream I have a small shoulder pack and lanyard.

I do not have as many years on the water as some but I just picked up a lanyard and I am psyched about using it. Will use lanyard for tippet, tools, weight and keep fly boxes in pockets of waders or jacket in cooler weather.

As beeber says I have a whole fly shop in my truck, I carry a orvis vest full, a orvis safe passage pack, another one cheaper, a cabelas chest/waist pack, a small orvis single trout bag. All depends where I am fishing..

I'm a chest box guy:

Smallmouth: 3 box-Fye
Trout: 3 box-Richardson
Saltwater/steelhead/Shad..etc: DownStream
Ponds/poppers-10 draw. simms
Mountain Stream- FlytDeck

Joe E

One word of advice for the lanyard fans. Sunlight is an enemy of all monofilaments. I wouldn't advise carrying leader material on a lanyard.

Fanny packs and chest boxes usually. Sometimes still use the vest for the back pack abilities. Depending on how far and how long I'm fishing.

Back