Very newguy in Philadelphia

dirty

dirty

Hi all!

I recently had the pleasure of reading a bunch of fiction that featured fly fishing heavily, and it sounded like something I’d probably enjoy doing. It turns out my father-in-law has a rod and reel (and some leaders that say ‘best if used before 2007’) and, as my wife is always happy when I get her dad out from in front of the TV, it seemed like something fun we could do together.

So here I am! I’ve done the requisite millennial googling of everygoddamnthing (and somehow now know even less), but managed to catch an incredibly small/gracious/patient bass this past weekend in Maine using borrowed gear.

I was idly watching the sun go down, thinking about walking out to the little dock to try to figure out if I could make a tight loop (unlikely) while also avoiding the wild blackberries behind me (extremely unlikely). I saw what I assumed was a black vulture cruise high in the tree line, and then as it picked up a little speed on the downwind leg, banked hard, snagged a fish and flew off, I realized that that would be pretty fancy behavior for a vulture, not to mention that this thing looked more like a flying 2x6 and less like something with pronounced dihedral--and that it would be an especially fancy vulture with its white head and tail. I figured that this display of angling prowess was a sign from the fishgods that I should at least tie a fly to the tippet if I was going to be hunting blackberries. (The bald eagle was almost immediately mugged by another for his fish--I am not sure how that fits into the fishgod narrative).

I tied on a nymphy, crooked-cigar-shaped fly that my FIL had multiples of (assuming I'd lose it to the aforementioned bushes), aimed said cigar-shaped thing at the ripples expanding near the definitely-not-crooked-cigar-shaped water skeeters, fired, stripped it in (more to shorten the line and raise my chances of surviving the back cast than any earnest imitation of aquatic insect behavior), and repeated. Eventually, the line tightened--for the first non-vegetable-based reason of my adult life--and the rest is history.

I almost immediately ordered a 4wt Echo Lift combo. I’d have gone for something used, but craigslist and facebook marketplace seemed pretty dry; plus the Echo had some good reviews (Excellent action for beginners! Good value! Room for growth!), and I was happy to learn that the company is based in Vancouver, WA—as I’ve spent some of the best days of my life on the Washougal river nearby. I opted against the usual 5wt first rod because A) the place I was ordering from didn’t have it and B) I liked the sound of the 4wt and confirmation-biased myself into thinking it was a great idea after reading a few “4wt Is The New 5wt” articles.

I’m excited to have found the paflyfish.com community—as I’m at risk of being tainted by reddit and/or my father-in-law, who has a couple of juicy old-dude knowledge bombs hidden among a minefield of exaggeration, assumption, and good old-fashioned lies. I’m looking forward to searching up your old posts when I’m at risk of becoming the 15th person to ask which size of parachute adams I should be using, (or if maybe I should be using a vanilla adams instead) and hopefully meeting some of you in meatspace out on a river somewhere.

If you made it through that expository dump, maybe you have some knowledge bombs and/or lies and/or exaggeration you’d be kind enough to throw at the following questions:

1) If you lived in Philly and didn’t mind driving an hour or so, and also didn’t mind a little hike (might even be preferable), but wanted to avoid a crowd/audience, where would you start? I walk the dog occasionally at the Wissahickon—might be a little crowded for me (at least the places on it that I’ve been—maybe you can get away from the trails and have a more relaxing time). People seem to like the French? My father-in-law says Valley Forge is a great place for wild brook trout (lies?!)? Other suggestions?

2) This past weekend I converted some old trail shoes into Wading In A Mucky Maine Pond Shoes. Is there any way to get the warmed-over-death smell out of them or is that just a thing you learn to love?

3) Anyone in the area want to fish with a total noob (once UPS gets here) or two?

Great satirical introduction. I live in NEPA so can't help on 1 hour from Philly creeks but I'd say you're on the right path. My advice is "don't rush into learning, let the learning come to you".

Put time in on the water and at the desk reading and the puzzle will start to come together.

Hi all!

I recently had the pleasure of reading a bunch of fiction that featured fly fishing heavily, and it sounded like something I’d probably enjoy doing. It turns out my father-in-law has a rod and reel (and some leaders that say ‘best if used before 2007’) and, as my wife is always happy when I get her dad out from in front of the TV, it seemed like something fun we could do together.

So here I am! I’ve done the requisite millennial googling of everygoddamnthing (and somehow now know even less), but managed to catch an incredibly small/gracious/patient bass this past weekend in Maine using borrowed gear.

I was idly watching the sun go down, thinking about walking out to the little dock to try to figure out if I could make a tight loop (unlikely) while also avoiding the wild blackberries behind me (extremely unlikely). I saw what I assumed was a black vulture cruise high in the tree line, and then as it picked up a little speed on the downwind leg, banked hard, snagged a fish and flew off, I realized that that would be pretty fancy behavior for a vulture, not to mention that this thing looked more like a flying 2x6 and less like something with pronounced dihedral--and that it would be an especially fancy vulture with its white head and tail. I figured that this display of angling prowess was a sign from the fishgods that I should at least tie a fly to the tippet if I was going to be hunting blackberries. (The bald eagle was almost immediately mugged by another for his fish--I am not sure how that fits into the fishgod narrative).

I tied on a nymphy, crooked-cigar-shaped fly that my FIL had multiples of (assuming I'd lose it to the aforementioned bushes), aimed said cigar-shaped thing at the ripples expanding near the definitely-not-crooked-cigar-shaped water skeeters, fired, stripped it in (more to shorten the line and raise my chances of surviving the back cast than any earnest imitation of aquatic insect behavior), and repeated. Eventually, the line tightened--for the first non-vegetable-based reason of my adult life--and the rest is history.

I almost immediately ordered a 4wt Echo Lift combo. I’d have gone for something used, but craigslist and facebook marketplace seemed pretty dry; plus the Echo had some good reviews (Excellent action for beginners! Good value! Room for growth!), and I was happy to learn that the company is based in Vancouver, WA—as I’ve spent some of the best days of my life on the Washougal river nearby. I opted against the usual 5wt first rod because A) the place I was ordering from didn’t have it and B) I liked the sound of the 4wt and confirmation-biased myself into thinking it was a great idea after reading a few “4wt Is The New 5wt” articles.

I’m excited to have found the paflyfish.com community—as I’m at risk of being tainted by reddit and/or my father-in-law, who has a couple of juicy old-dude knowledge bombs hidden among a minefield of exaggeration, assumption, and good old-fashioned lies. I’m looking forward to searching up your old posts when I’m at risk of becoming the 15th person to ask which size of parachute adams I should be using, (or if maybe I should be using a vanilla adams instead) and hopefully meeting some of you in meatspace out on a river somewhere.

If you made it through that expository dump, maybe you have some knowledge bombs and/or lies and/or exaggeration you’d be kind enough to throw at the following questions:

1) If you lived in Philly and didn’t mind driving an hour or so, and also didn’t mind a little hike (might even be preferable), but wanted to avoid a crowd/audience, where would you start? I walk the dog occasionally at the Wissahickon—might be a little crowded for me (at least the places on it that I’ve been—maybe you can get away from the trails and have a more relaxing time). People seem to like the French? My father-in-law says Valley Forge is a great place for wild brook trout (lies?!)? Other suggestions?

2) This past weekend I converted some old trail shoes into Wading In A Mucky Maine Pond Shoes. Is there any way to get the warmed-over-death smell out of them or is that just a thing you learn to love?

3) Anyone in the area want to fish with a total noob (once UPS gets here) or two?
BTW, if you enjoy reading fiction, you will really like some of the post on this site! :)

I live on the Jersey side of the Delaware and I usually extend my driving limit to 2 hours. Berks County and the Poconos.

Hi all!

Couldn't tell you where to fish in the greater Philly area but I do come in and out of University city as I have a college student there. Going north on 295 gets you close the Delaware, big water for a newbie. I know you cross the Neshaminy at one point and again if you take 202 west off of 295, PFBC stocks it but I'm not sure where. Best bet is to explore the PBFC maps for trout fishing. Highway 611 is your friend it'll take you to the lehigh valley and into the Poconos, but it'll take all of 1 1/2 to 2 hours likely.

Hey Dirty,
I’m super new and in Philly as well. I work as an insurance agent and have a flexible schedule until 10/1. Would not mind splitting driving to fish. Some places that are more desirable/have better flows/lower temps are between 1-2 hours outside the city. I have an echo rod for euro. Love it. Hmu lets go fishing!

Hey Dirty,
I’m super new and in Philly as well. I work as an insurance agent and have a flexible schedule until 10/1. Would not mind splitting driving to fish. Some places that are more desirable/have better flows/lower temps are between 1-2 hours outside the city. I have an echo rod for euro. Love it. Hmu lets go fishing!
Sounds good--I'll send you a dm in the future!

Welcome to this site from a fellow new site member. I'm a born and bred central NYer and live a stone's throw from The Great New York State Fairgrounds - which is active with the Great NYS Fair going on. I've been tying for over fifty years and hosting fly swaps for the past 11 years on other sites. I hope that we cross paths.

Kim

BTW, I live within an hours drive of several fine bodies of fishing water. I especially like fishing Cayuga and Seneca Lakes - nice fishing and TWO loaded wine trails! I learned long ago that there are two great days when fishing - the days you catch fish AND the days you don't!

If you avoid the Wissahickon during trout season, April through the middle of May and again when they stock it the fall. It's not a bad place to fish. You can wade it and there are spots where you can fish from shore. Nice variety of fish for a beginner to catch.
SFINH3

Smallie1

Rock Bass

Plus, bluegill, pumpkinseed, green sunfish and largemouth bass. You can even find trout this time of year.
The panfish and bass are far less selective than trout and can be a good confidence builder for a beginner fly fisher.
Your FIL mentioned Valley Forge. I'm assuming he's referring to Valley Creek. I would avoid it. The trout are spooky and selective. Very frustrating for a beginner. It was the first place I tried to fly fish for trout. I almost quit. Ridley Creek, Chester Creek are other options.
Can't really help you with streams in the Poconos. All my fly fishing up there is done on lakes or ponds, most times from a boat, sometimes from the shore. Targets there are bass, chain pickerel and bluegill.

Thanks Jerry! I may actually run up to the Wiss this week, Friday morning perhaps. I've fished from behind Germantown Academy and Ft. Washington state park, haven't done much within the city limits. Any spots you can recommend on the Wiss? and sorry for hijacking the thread!!

I've fished it from Germantown Ave down to the Livezey La area. I'm on the Henry Ave side of the creek. Most times I park either at the Bells Mill Rd parking area or at Valley Green and walk either up or down Forbidden Drive. I use to wade the creek. These days I have to fish from the shore. There's an area above and below the Bells Mill Bridge that can be fished from shore. There's a stretch above the Covered Bridge and below the bridge. The area below the Rex Ave bridge has a lot of shore access. I've done well there. You can walk up from Valley Green to just below the dam or down stream. You just have to look for places to access. The further you walk from the parking areas the less people you'll see fishing. Top water action should still be good this time of year. The creek should be down by Friday morning and running fairly clear.

Hi "Dirty" you seem like you'll fit right in with this crowd, stinky shoes and all. GG

Welcome, Can't help you with a meet up but I look forward to reading your posts.

Welcome from another newbie both to the board and fly fishing.

Back