Vermont 06/12-06/14

The_Sasquatch

The_Sasquatch

Just got back last night from 5 days and 4 nights in Vermont. A friend of mine has a cottage in Dorset Vermont (western side), and invited my family up for a long weekend. My friend is fairly new to fly fishing (got him out just a handful of times over the last 2 years), and his 13 year old son has been practicing with a practice caster for several months. This was his son's first real fly fishing trip.

I did my research before going up, reading as much as I could about the streams in the Dorset area, and decided to focus on the Mettawee River system. My buddy used to swim in this stream as a kid, but never fished it, so he was familiar with the stream, access points, etc.

Friday morning we headed out and fished the upper reaches of the Mettawee, and got the skunk. I had a few rises to my dry, but nothing serious. Water was low, gin clear, fishing was tough. Friday evening we tried a little lower down on the system where the water was a little bigger, but still no luck.

Then the rain came. It rained pretty solidly all through Friday night, and Saturday was a different story. The water was still gin clear (all the streams in this area have remarkably clear water), but there was definitely better flows. Lots of caddis were flying around in the morning and afternoon, and I began picking up trout pretty steadily, including a chunker of a brownie from a very deep hole. I fished a dry-dropper most of the day, and picked up some on the bottom, some on the top.

The Mettawee and its tribs have a healthy supply of wild browns, native brookies, and wild rainbows, and both Saturday and Sunday I managed to get a wild trifecta with ease. They also have smart harvesting regulations. You're allowed to keep 2 a day, but nothing between 10"-14", and only 1 over 14". This is a regulation that makes sense to me, and shows me that the Vermont Fish Commission understands their resource and how to protect it.

On Sunday we fished up a tributary to the Mettawee. This was an interesting experience. My friend's son managed to catch his first trout on a fly rod, a little wild rainbow. During the day, this tributary produced mostly rainbows. I didn't catch a single brown out of it, but I did manage one beautiful native. The fish my buddy caught were all bows as well. Around 4pm we headed back to the cottage, had a nice BBQ with our families, then went out to the trib and fished the same beat we fished earlier in the day. This time, in the evening, 75% of the trout I caught were browns.

As we came up to a nice run, it was getting dark, and cahills started to pop. I walked up to a nice long run and saw about a half dozen rising trout in front of us. I called to my friend's son, and had him come up. I cut off his dry-dropper and tied on a cahill, and started having him cast to the rising trout. The last hour of the day was spent watching him try to catch risers on his dry. He had some takes, but didn't manage to land any. Still, the thrill of seeing trout rising to his dry fly, even if he got snubbed, was enough to really get him hooked on fly fishing. I remember having those same experiences when I was about his age and learning, and it lights a fire in you that just makes you want to keep casting and casting and casting til you can't see anymore.

One thing about Vermont that surprised me was this. First, the Green Mountains are absolutely stunning. When you're driving up 87 and you start seeing the mountains, the Catskills and then the Green Mountains, it just takes your breath away. Very very different than my beloved Allegheny mountains. Not "better", just different. Secondly, the geology of the streams are different. I'm not a rock guy at all, but one look at these streams, and you see a physical difference. Just in the color of the soil, the color of the rocks, it's a very dark soil with sharp contrasting golden, white, sparkling rocks. Just beautiful geology all around.

On our way home on Sunday, we took some dirt roads around Dorset, and I already have a few more stretches of this stream, as well as a few tribs, to try out next time. We talked about fishing the Battenkill, but decided against it due to the difficulty of the stream combined with the newbie status of my friend's son. We didn't want to frustrate him too soon ;-) Maybe next time, although streams with crowds have no draw to me. The people at the Orvis flagship store were great too. They have a nice map of the Battenkill available in the store, and the one guy marked out some access points for us next time we're up there, more of where the "locals" fish, away from the crowds on the famous stretch.

Nice re-cap. My lone Vermont fishing experience was the West Branch of the Little River. Runs off Mt. Mansfield and into Stowe. Caught a few gemmies but nothing of note. As you said, very clear water and very different geology than PA.

Some photos

Attachments

• calvinstrout.jpg
    calvinstrout.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 4
  • greenmountains.jpg
    greenmountains.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 3
  • mountain.jpg
    mountain.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 4
  • vermontnative.jpg
    vermontnative.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 5
  • calmettawee.jpg
    calmettawee.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 5
  • flowerbrook.jpg
    flowerbrook.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 4
  • squatchbigun.jpg
    squatchbigun.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 5
  • mettawee12.jpg
    mettawee12.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 5
Nice report and pics, I've fished Vermont a few times. There is a lot of beautiful country and water up there

Nice write-up and pics Squatch.

Rainbows in the Smokies, Rainbows in the Greens...makes you wonder what's stopping them from taking off here. Not that I want them to. I know there's many different strains of them and some do better in the Appalachians than others, but still...you think more would have figured it out here than actually have. Again, not a bad thing IMO.

Very cool. Thanks for the report.

I've spent time in both the Adirondaks as well as the White Mountains of NH, mostly sightseeing but a bit of fishing as well. But never the Greens in Vermont.

Regarding geology. In PA, not to say ALL, but primarily we have sedimentary and sedimentary based metamorphic rocks. Limestone of course, but also slate, shale, sandstone, etc.

The main difference up there was mostly volcanic in nature. Results in a whole lot of granite. As for soil differences, because granite is so resistant to weathering, the soils tend to be shallower and have a higher % of organic matter and less worn rock. That shallow soil both controls and is controlled by the dominant vegetation types. Overall, there is far less mineral content in the soil and water, hence the clear water.

Sasquatch,

Thanks for the great report. Those streams are really beautiful looking; I love that water clarity. Nice job helping to mentor the next generation!

-Luke

Cool report. I was in the area and fished the battenkill for an afternoon earlier this year. It was a very cool river. It kind of reminded me of big fishing creek in the narrows section, but more clear. I'd like to fish it again.

Nice report. I'm heading up to Vermont the week of the June 29th, a bit further east not far from Ludlow. The Black and Ottauquechee rivers are the nearest big streams. I'm having some hip issues so I'm going to be doing little if any wading. Probably hit the local lakes for bass and panfish.

Sasquatch thanks for posting, makes me miss living there so much. I'm glad you guys had a good time.

great report Sas, I love the green mountains. yes, much different than here, much bigger too!
I love the tannic, rocky water also.

I was up in New Hampshire this weekend and fished the Androscoggin one day and the Pemigawasset the next. I have never fished Vermont but the geology and your description seem very similar, a granite rock garden and clear, clear water. I'm not sure if it's the stone and sand structure , water chemistry or some other factors but the bug life seems to struggle to get a good density and the bigger rivers are almost all hydro-dammed which leads to rapid warming and fish pooling around the cold water areas. New England is lovely and after a decade of tromping through the water up there I realize just how lucky we are in Pa. Of course that means the pressure and crowds are greater here but the cool limestone influence just can't be beat for trout habitat.

Rainbows in the White Mountains too. Granite is fairly impermeable the water is quite clear even after a heavy rain like hit the White Mt.s Friday night.
I went to the Pemi, on Saturday, it was really ripping.

I found Vermont to be very fisher friendly. Hardly any places posted. They understand and want the tourist dollar IMHO.

Nice report. I fished a part of VT a couple of years ago. The Green Mountains are incredible! I managed a nice bow on the Winooski River. Got him on a woolly bugger.

Question. Is there a nice site like PA has where one can see the locations of fishing spots in VT?

Vermont is awesome... went three years in a row a few years back. Great fishing, great scenery, great breweries, the people are very nice... also plenty of stuff to do with family from Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream, Vermont Teddy Bear Factory, Burlington, the town of Stowe Vermont etc... great place to drag the family to and sneak away for some morning fishing excursions. Winooskie and Lamoille Rivers were very cool. Nice pics btw.

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Secondly, the geology of the streams are different. I'm not a rock guy at all, but one look at these streams, and you see a physical difference. Just in the color of the soil, the color of the rocks, it's a very dark soil with sharp contrasting golden, white, sparkling rocks. Just beautiful geology all around.

Some of the valley streams are pretty fertile, the Battenkill for example.

But has anyone fished the higher elevation, high gradient, "falling off the mountain" streams?

It's fun to fish those types of streams, but do those types of streams in the White Mountains have enough fertility to support many trout?

I haven't fished there, but on a trip I drove along some mountain streams in VT and NH and and stopped and took a look at several, and the streams looked pretty infertile.

As far as VT fly fishing sites, I kept my internet search to the geographical area where we'd be. Didn't want to spend MORE time driving and on Google Maps I could see a lot of streams around where we were staying. I just so happened that the Mettawee was one of the streams close to us. Couldn't find a TON of info, but enough just to tell me it was worth checking into. Never did find a Vermont fly fishing forum.

Dwight,
The steep sections that I recently saw up that way were for the most part infertile looking. I say that because I don't know for sure how fertile they are, the granite makes me believe that they are more like Rocky Mountain headwater streams then the headwater streams that we have in PA.
I fished the Androscoggin River in NH and it was plenty fertile, tannic would be a better word, but it had plenty of bugs. I fished in a section that was not a headwaters section though. I start at Umbogog Lake so I believe it to be fertile. Above the lake it is called a different name. It's in the Rangeley Lakes Region, and they are fertile.
But the other streams flowing off the White Mountains look very different, they are boulder strewn streams and rivers, with very pale rocks and boulders large and small on the bottom. The slopes are wooded though and there's a lot of large wood debris, which means there is decent fertility. The guide told me too that there are feeders that are spring creeks, but not necessarily limestone streams. Nearly all the streams flowing off the slopes have trout in them, a couple have salmon. I plan on going back to try for the salmon.

Back