VALLEY CREEK

flytier77

flytier77

im new at fly fishing about 6 mounths and im going up to valley creek in the next 2 weeks. could anyone tell me what fly is best for now cause i looked on the htch chart and nothing is really hatching. much appreciated!

Iv only ever caught a few trout on valley and they were only on scuds and zebra midges.

Flytier,
While I'm not a Valley Creek regular, if it were me, I'd have some small earth tone nymphs - we're talking Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail type nymphs in olive or brown colors and in fairly small sizes, mainly #16 down to #20. Also, some terrestrials - this means surface flies imitating ants, beetles, or crickets. A #14 black beetle is a very versatile fly and will catch fish all summer and up thru Oct. Finally, if the stream is high or cloudy, try a black Wooly Bugger. If you've never fished it, Valley is a small stream with wild browns. It's not an easy stream to catch fish so don't get frustrated if you get skunked. Valley has skunked me more than once. Good luck.

Fishidiot wrote:
Flytier,
While I'm not a Valley Creek regular, if it were me, I'd have some small earth tone nymphs - we're talking Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail type nymphs in olive or brown colors and in fairly small sizes, mainly #16 down to #20. Also, some terrestrials - this means surface flies imitating ants, beetles, or crickets. A #14 black beetle is a very versatile fly and will catch fish all summer and up thru Oct. Finally, if the stream is high or cloudy, try a black Wooly Bugger. If you've never fished it, Valley is a small stream with wild browns. It's not an easy stream to catch fish so don't get frustrated if you get skunked. Valley has skunked me more than once. Good luck.

FI has down pretty well, smaller nymphs, scuds, terrestrials. You may want to add some smaller caddis (16-18) and some midges, if you like to fish small. Also, if the water is higher and off-color, you can't go wrong with a dark colored bugger.

if you want to catch a fish at Valley, swing a combo of soft hackles (size 12's 14's or 16's any color and partridge) in the faster water, it is perfect for that now. Caddis still there and maybe bwo's and always midges.

jeff

thanks guys i cant wait to give it a try:)

small baetis duns and rusty spinners for the same.

Back