Valley Creek Stoneflies

Alnitak wrote:
I fished Little Valley and Valley two weeks ago and there were some small black stoneflies on both

All downstream of you though right?

afishinado wrote:
...forget to mention...a huge walts worm hatch...

Did I forget to mention Walt's Worm?

Swattie87 wrote:
Alnitak wrote:
I fished Little Valley and Valley two weeks ago and there were some small black stoneflies on both

All downstream of you though right?

Of course.

fadeaway263 wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Did I forget to mention Walt's Worm?

I don't know Walt or why you're obsessed with his worm, but it seems unhealthy.

Jeff

Thank you all for the excellent and intelligent discourse. I hereby declare this topic forever closed. Regarding any comments of Walt's worm, I am not inviting any private messages.

Surcowcboy

Even though I haven't fished at Valley the past two winters,
due to work obligations and a knee injury- I appreciate you coming to my aide.

While we are on it. Has anyone ever noticed that 73 yard stretch that has a green drake hatch? Comes off between 8:45 and 9pm. Like clockwork every year.

Although not definitive, I went back and took a look at some macroinvertbrate studies of VC and none of them revealed any Plecoptera except one study, done in 2001 by Enviroscience, that found some of what were identified as Chloroperlidae, which are the "yellow" or "lime sallies" stoneflies.

Again, not definitive, just a quick snapshot from three surveys. It does suggest that stones are not common in VC since they didn't turn up in the other two studies. On a side note - this is no surprise - scuds and cress bugs were the overwhelming proportion of the macro biomass in VC.

There's undoubtedly some more scientific studies out there.

I have never set foot in VC. But if nearby waters have the little stones, and given the improvements in water quality, there is no reason they could not return. Little Stones don't need rocky areas to live well. Little Stones on a windy day can go a great distance from whence they came, and mistakenly go to another stream to breed, at least theoretically. For all we know, mother nature has allowed for just that scenario.

it does have alot of chimarra larvae-little black caddis stones can easily be mistaken for caddis

afishinado wrote:

Good thing Jay L is no longer active on this site right Afish?

Anthony-

No problem. I spent a ton of time on that creek and the uneaten little black stoneflies always perplexed me. I just wanted to let you know you're not crazy and help you out a little if I could.

VCRegular-

I would have guessed by your call sign that you would know just exactly where I was referencing with the 200-yard description. I suppose not.

Thanks. Hope to see you on Valley sometime.

Back