Valley Creek in VF National Park needs help

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Given the flood of this past week at Valley Creek, the riparian buffer fences along the banks were washed away. The following is an e-mail I received from Pete Goodman, the past President of Valley Forge TU and the letter that follows is from the Ecologist at Valley Forge NP.

Please volunteer if you can. It appears they will be working on this every day of the week, except on Sunday for the next several weeks.

Friends, Members and Volunteers,

Valley Forge National Historical Park got pounded by the rains of last Thursday and Friday. 9.5 inches of rain in a 24 hour period wreaked havoc on the riparian buffer fences. Most of them are down. Some can be pulled up again but many will need new posts. The Park is calling for volunteers (see Kate’s email below) for this week. If you can volunteer time during the week, that would be great. If not we will hold a workday in conjunction with the Park this Saturday, October 9, 2010 – meeting at the Wilson Road iron bridge at 8:30 AM and working until 1:00PM (or whatever part of the day you can spare). Many of you have worked on the deer fences before either installing them or restoring them after past hurricanes. We have an ownership in these riparian areas and they need their protection. Please give us a hand on Saturday.

Thank you in advance,
Pete Goodman
President
Valley Forge Chapter of Trout Unlimited

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
Pete, below is our general emergency recruitment e-mail. Please pass on to TU mailing list, and whoever else might be interested!
Let me know if this could potentially be an upcoming TU workday project.
Thanks!
Kate

Dear Valley Forge NHP volunteers,
Due to the flooding on Friday, nearly all of our riparian buffer fences were damaged in some way. We are recruiting for volunteers who would like to help repair them. These buffers protect Valley Creek and provide wildlife habitat. The fencing around the buffers keeps the deer out, and is vital to protection and proper function of the buffers.

The work involves post-pounding, measuring and erecting fence, and attaching fence with zip-ties. Some tree, shrub, and vine pruning may also be necessary. Volunteers under 18 can do all tasks except post-pounding. Supplies, equipment, and safety gear are provided. Volunteers will need closed-toed shoes (hiking or work boots ideal, but sneakers are ok) and long pants. Sunscreen and a hat are recommended. Clothing will likely get dirty.

We anticipate starting tomorrow or Wed., and will keep going until all of the fences are up at least well enough to keep deer out. This may take several weeks. We will potentially work every day except for Sundays.

If you are interested, please let me know your availability. Please pass along to any one that might be interested!

Thanks very much!

Kate
Kate Jensen
Ecologist
Valley Forge National Historical Park
1400 North Outer Line Drive
King of Prussia, PA 19406
office: 1 610 783 0257
cell: 1 215 692 3340
FAX: 610 783 5381
kate_jensen@nps.gov

I will see if I can get some support from Tully TU guys and make it over there one day. Not thinking real straight right now, who should we contact to concentrate efforts? They just need manual labor or planning? Has GP-11 been filed or is it needed?

jdaddy wrote:
I will see if I can get some support from Tully TU guys and make it over there one day. Not thinking real straight right now, who should we contact to concentrate efforts? They just need manual labor or planning? Has GP-11 been filed or is it needed?

jdaddy,

Contact Kate Jensen from the NPS (see below). It's in the park and the NPS calls all the shots for any project. Looks like grunt work. If you get a bunch of your guys together, post a date and time and maybe some others can join you.

Make sure everyone attending, signs the volunteer sign-up sheets. The Park gets credit for volunteer work and gets increased funding based on the number of people that volunteer.

Kate Jensen
Ecologist
Valley Forge National Historical Park
1400 North Outer Line Drive
King of Prussia, PA 19406
office: 1 610 783 0257
cell: 1 215 692 3340
FAX: 610 783 5381
kate_jensen@nps.gov

Thanks for your help.

Back