VAlley Creek again

KeithS

KeithS

I've never been much into trout, but that was only w/ spin equipment. With the bass not cooperating and temps falling, I'd like to try Valley Creek for trout w/ a fly rod.
I read the latest post on Valley and am wondering if things change quickly enough that different advice would apply now.
Hopefully, an old DT5 that I have will straighten out enough, otherwise I'm stuck w/ a 7wt. line and a 9' 3X leader

KeithS wrote:
Hopefully, an old DT5 that I have will straighten out enough

In your sink, run some warm water and a few drops of dish soap. Pull the line out and throw it into the water. Swish it around, let it soak, then swish it around again. If its really old and grimy, you can pull it through a towel or even a paper towel as you pull it out and throw it in loose coils on something to dry. Come back an hour or two later, wind it up.

Goto where you'll fish. Pull it out again, and flop it over a pole, then walk with it and pull it taunt. Hold it for a few seconds, smile at your ingenuity, release, wind, fish.

Have fun.

i fished valley yesterday from around 5 until last light. there was some good action. i hooked two and broke them off. i was running 6x to a size 18 BHN and then later i ran a dropper off a parachute adams to a size 16 prince and the pulls i got were strong. in the deep hole about 50 yards up from the bridge there were good sized fish flashing. way down deep though.

Thanks , Gentlemen ( if the name applies or not). I had considered washing and stretching the line over a couple of days in the basement.
Now, i just need to get some trout flies tied or purchased between now and Saturday.
Good thing fishing doesn't necessitate catching for me.

KeithS wrote:
Thanks , Gentlemen ( if the name applies or not).

You, sir, offend me.

KeithS wrote:
I had considered washing and stretching the line over a couple of days in the basement.

Probably overkill. If you just give it a good stretch before you go, that'll probably do you.

KeithS wrote:
Good thing fishing doesn't necessitate catching for me.

In it to win it, I fish 100% cut throat competitive style 24x7, and tie my nymphs on size 22 treble hooks on the end of 17.5' of flouro leader and tip it, but only fish with 3' of it out the end of a 14' 2wt "fly rod" so I can feel everything. HOO YAH!

Seriously, though... enjoy. Up here in the LV, I've been seeing tiny little mayflies from about 1:30pm to 3:00pm consistently, and a size 16-18 parachute has been doing me quite well. Don't remember the water though, the Lilttle Saunokill Run or something? Meh. Whatever. :)

I fish 100% cut throat competitive style 24x7, and tie my nymphs on size 22 treble hooks

As a competitive fisherman you know damn well you can't use treble hooks. Don't start rumors like that. It hurts our league.

jdaddy wrote:
As a competitive fisherman you know damn well you can't use treble hooks. Don't start rumors like that. It hurts our league.

Dude, as the founder of the Slack Fly Fishing League, its not about how many fish you hook, its about how long you avoid duty to your wife and children.

I'm not just the president, I'm a member.

Gfen, why would you assume that was meant for you, or ANYONE in particular?

if you're in lansdale, you better off heading north to the little lehigh or plenty of other trouts streams up that way.

Suggestions?

Keith,

Valley is up a bit because of the rain (a good thing). If the water is off-color and a little high, try small streamers and buggers. On top, terrestrials (beetles and ants), small BWOs, midges (always) and smaller caddis. For nymphing try hares ears, scuds, and small PTs.

Most important of all, wade (or don't wade) carefully and try not to line the fish. Good luck.

Thanks for the help, All.

Skiltonian--I'll take a look at streams around the LV also. Thanks.

when the water is off color at valley a muddler can produce.

gfen...........good advice on the fly line reconditioning , i gotta add one lil thing though , if you use a light abrasive cleanser , like bon-ami , something with no added chemicals it gets down to the nitty gritty. Shakey.........that muddler seems to work anywhere the water clouds up a little bit , even way out west here in Bedford county , the white marabou one does the trick for me in cloudy water, with a small tail of something red , some (very little) flash material in the marabou , like three strands of crystal flash or flashabou and a small piece of something red at the throat. KeithS............a short drive west on the turnpike can get you into some real good water , never fished Valley Creek , is that the one in Valley Forge Park?

KeithS wrote:
Skiltonian--I'll take a look at streams around the LV also. Thanks.

Huh? NO TROUT IN THE MONOCACY!@1!!one!

Just suckers. PM me for details.

Also, the Little Lehigh, Saucon, and Bushkill. YMMV, I'm too lazy to ever make it to anywhere but tourist spots for the first two.

Maybe I'll try LL tomorrow. I'll pick up some flies @ the shop first.
If anyone is out there, look for a guy in a maroon Bloomsburg hat. Any and all advice is accepted.

KeithS wrote:
Maybe I'll try LL tomorrow. I'll pick up some flies @ the shop first.
If anyone is out there, look for a guy in a maroon Bloomsburg hat. Any and all advice is accepted.

Advice?

You ever see the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld? Rod can be like that, in a way, but he can also be friendly and smiles if he's having a good day.

Be wary. :)

What area and time you gonna be in there? I doubt I'll be in any mood to get over there, but you never know.

Wife's gearing the kids up for the candython, I'll PM you a suggestion.

Back