Useless Flies...

Bamboozle

Bamboozle

We've had "go to flies, popular patterns, and other what do you use when," posts...

How about useless flies, patterns you created that were a total bust...

How about an imitation of a water strider, a tent caterpillar or a "lighting bug" imitation... :rolleyes:

Today I was fishing a local Class C and there were 48,672,789 water striders on the surface and there were 00,000,000 rises, making me happy I never wasted a miliseciond creating an imitation... ;)

Any overly realistic fly or burned wing flies. Realistics never seem to work and burned wing flies twist your line awful.

Back in the day I was a big fan of Iwamasa Duns and I still have the wing burners and tons of hen necks I dyed to match the natural's wing colors.

I actually got more than few stubborn fish to grab one during a hatch so I still have a few Sulphur versions stashed in my box in case the usual tricks don't work.

The one that comes to mind is my abysmal attempt tying a hellgrammite fly.

I can't catch very many fish with frenchies and everyone swears by them. I also never do any good with Copper John's.

Allow me to further elaborate on some of my failures...

I was fishing on the Right Branch of Young Woman's Creek and the tent caterpillars were everywhere hanging from the trees on threads when I came upon a nice hole with a bunch of fish rising. There was a caterpillar nest directly above so I assumed they were taking Tent Caterpillars. I tried an ancient Chauncey Lively Gypsy Moth pattern I had in my box but there was absolutely no interest...

I guess the fish knew the difference... :rolleyes:

Anyway, Sulphurs stated popping off so I switched gears and had a blast but I was POSITIVE I needed a Tent Caterpillar pattern. When I got back home I tied up a black version of the foam Inchworm I swear by and...

...I have never caught a single fish on any of those Tent Caterpillar flies.

I had another epiphany regarding fireflies after ASSuming fish were grabbing them one evening. I created a pattern made of foam with a "light" of yellow Ice Dub. I even went as far as to buy this glow-in-the-dark stuff in a lip balm type tube to enhance the "light."

To date... BUPKIS...!!!

I also tied up several variations of the Little Brook Trout, Little Brown Trout and Little Rainbow Trout flies with subtle differences and marabout tails... They have proved useless although a sac fry version I created with a yellow-orange marabou sac slayed them ONE day on the Letort.

Since then, squat...

2000 years ago when the Ditch was loaded with huge fish, I watched a guy clobbering them with a small red "dung worm" pattern. Hoping to replicate his sucess, I created a version made from dyed violin bow hair (horsehair) * after learning from Vince Marinaro the trick to making it clear before dying by washing it in soap & water.

* This was BEFORE the days of Swannundaze.

The flies came out great and I even created a version with a short red marabou tail but the Ditch fish just chuckled. I later relegated them to bluegill duty where they have proved to be a major success when dangled in front of a suspended "sunnie."

Bottom line, I don't know if it's the flies or the fish but considering I caught trout on an imitation of a french fry behind a McDonald's in Chambersburg, it is kind of hard to understand refusals on lightning bugs, caterpillars, worms and juvenile trout. ;)

Allow me to further elaborate on some of my failures...

I was fishing on the Right Branch of Young Woman's Creek and the tent caterpillars were everywhere hanging from the trees on threads when I came upon a nice hole with a bunch of fish rising. There was a caterpillar nest directly above so I assumed they were taking Tent Caterpillars. I tried an ancient Chauncey Lively Gypsy Moth pattern I had in my box but there was absolutely no interest...

I guess the fish knew the difference... :rolleyes:

Anyway, Sulphurs stated popping off so I switched gears and had a blast but I was POSITIVE I needed a Tent Caterpillar pattern. When I got back home I tied up a black version of the foam Inchworm I swear by and...

...I have never caught a single fish on any of those Tent Caterpillar flies.

I had another epiphany regarding fireflies after ASSuming fish were grabbing them one evening. I created a pattern made of foam with a "light" of yellow Ice Dub. I even went as far as to buy this glow-in-the-dark stuff in a lip balm type tube to enhance the "light."

To date... BUPKIS...!!!

I also tied up several variations of the Little Brook Trout, Little Brown Trout and Little Rainbow Trout flies with subtle differences and marabout tails... They have proved useless although a sac fry version I created with a yellow-orange marabou sac slayed them ONE day on the Letort.

Since then, squat...

2000 years ago when the Ditch was loaded with huge fish, I watched a guy clobbering them with a small red "dung worm" pattern. Hoping to replicate his sucess, I created a version made from dyed violin bow hair (horsehair) * after learning from Vince Marinaro the trick to making it clear before dying by washing it in soap & water.

* This was BEFORE the days of Swannundaze.

The flies came out great and I even created a version with a short red marabou tail but the Ditch fish just chuckled. I later relegated them to bluegill duty where they have proved to be a major success when dangled in front of a suspended "sunnie."

Bottom line, I don't know if it's the flies or the fish but considering I caught trout on an imitation of a french fry behind a McDonald's in Chambersburg, it is kind of hard to understand refusals on lightning bugs, caterpillars, worms and juvenile trout. ;)
Caterpillars are tricky. If you watch them in the water they are constantly moving from one “S” curve to the opposite “S” curve. Constant motion. I think the trout key on the movement. It is very frustrating when they take every one floating by except the one attached to mono.

Caterpillars are tricky. If you watch them in the water they are constantly moving from one “S” curve to the opposite “S” curve. Constant motion. I think the trout key on the movement. It is very frustrating when they take every one floating by except the one attached to mono.

I get that but inchworms move too and an insect green foam version of the same Tent Caterpillar I tied is a trout magnet when the inchworms are doing the same thing.

I just don't think trout like Tent Caterpillars...

Many years ago I experimented with scented flys. Some that I made were highly successful, others not so much. After awhile those flys got put aside and became lost under the rocks of time.

One of those flys began after I read about a certain herb:

thyme (Thymus vulgaris); it is one of the most important edible plants, having many benefits. Thyme is rich in phytonutrients, minerals, vitamins, flavonoids and antioxidants. In addition, the therapeutic effects of thyme and its essential oils, especially thymol and carvacrol, against various diseases were demonstrated in several studies. This is attributed to its multi-pharmacological properties that include, but are not limited to, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antineoplastic actions. Moreover, thyme has long been known for its antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic activities.

If it’s good for fishermen, why not for fish?

Years have passed and I can now relate to what Norman McClean wrote.

“Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn’t.”

I can no longer remember if that particular fly was very effective, or if it was useless. One thing I am sure of, however, Thyme flys.

I heard somewhere that most caterpillars are slightly toxic to fish, thus not palatable to them.

I don't know if it's true or not but I never really saw fish keyed on them when they are about.

Similarly years ago when gypsy moths were a real PITA fish did not eat them and they were everywhere.

I'm not even sure birds eat them.

I heard somewhere that most caterpillars are slightly toxic to fish, thus not palatable to them.

I don't know if it's true or not but I never really saw fish keyed on them when they are about.

Similarly years ago when gypsy moths were a real PITA fish did not eat them and they were everywhere.

About 3-4 years ago on Kettle the caterpillars where getting devoured. I’m not up on my caterpillar identification but I grabbed several and back at camp I tied 3 versions incorporating the right colors. I caught a few fish but no where near the amount that were being wrecked under overhanging branches. I think the only difference was the movement and the fact the caterpillars were actually alive.

Back in the mid 90’s there was an infestation of elm span worms. They dangled from branches and of course fell in. I wasn’t aware this was going on until I got to camp. The trout were definitely feeding on them but were also taking caddis that were available. I didn’t bother to try and “match the caterpillar hatch”.I was catching trout on caddis that looked like they had golf balls in their stomach and worms sticking out of their gullet. Why they were eating anything else I couldn’t venture a guess. They definitely eat some types of caterpillars though.

Many years ago I experimented with scented flys. Some that I made were highly successful, others not so much. After awhile those flys got put aside and became lost under the rocks of time.

One of those flys began after I read about a certain herb:

thyme...

I use thyme as a seasoning in many things I cook so I guess I'm toast if I fall in a trout stream... ;)

Anything tied on a tiemco 200r. I have a terrible hook up ratio with that iron

About 3-4 years ago on Kettle the caterpillars where getting devoured. I’m not up on my caterpillar identification but I grabbed several and back at camp I tied 3 versions incorporating the right colors. I caught a few fish but no where near the amount that were being wrecked under overhanging branches. I think the only difference was the movement and the fact the caterpillars were actually alive.
Dear Prospector, and others,

I've caught many fish on a lot of creeks using a simple tent caterpillar pattern consisting of 1/8-inch black foam cylinder lashed to a hook with a grizzly hackle palmered over the body tied on long shank 10 or 12 streamer hooks.

I fish them like I fish most terrestial patterns, with zero stealth. The only thing that I do is make sure the fly splats firmly in the water close to the targeted fish. More often than not the fish seem to respond to the sound and turn to investigate. Some just outright smash it on impact, but some need a slight twitch of the fly to coax a response. I use the same technique for fishing Crowe Beetles and Japanese Beetle too. Try splatting your flies the next time. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back in the day I was a big fan of Iwamasa Duns and I still have the wing burners and tons of hen necks I dyed to match the natural's wing colors.

I actually got more than few stubborn fish to grab one during a hatch so I still have a few Sulphur versions stashed in my box in case the usual tricks don't work.
Expanding on this a bit:

Any floating pattern tied with the hook point facing up.

I tied a beautiful looking green drake pattern, called a blade wing dun.
It was on the cover of fly tyer magazine many years ago.
And was very realistic looking.

I was smitten with chasing the green drake hatch then.
And decided to tie and try them.

They were a colossal flop.
Yeah, the fish liked and hit them.
But the hook up rates were very poor.
Something like 1 or 2 out of every 10 strikes, If I recall correctly

Back