Useful gimicks

PaulG wrote:
Ian

Which one of those tippet caddies did you buy? The one I have I don't like, it gets in my way and I would like to find a better one.

Thanks

PaulG

Get me one too buddy,

moochin' moe :lol:

Flyfishermanj wrote about the caddies, not me. Sorry.

I thought the best net was the one that folded like a Butchers band saw[according to the ads] and went into a holster that fit on your wader belt.I found that wearing it upside down and cross draw was the most convenient.
My favorite gimmicks-Aluminum cleated wading overshoes that fit over boot footed waders.

PaulG & Maurice,
The tippet caddie I use is pretty simple, it's a piece of nylon rope w/ a couple of plastic washers and a plastic clasp and plastic tube. I hook it to one of those rings on the left side of my vest or pack, out of my way during the cast and right there when I need to add tippet. I see if I can find it and post a link.

Albatross,

I looked at one similiar too that, will probally be buying it, thanks

JH

This is similiar to the tippet caddie I use, replace the metal ring w/ rope:

Although it's not a gimmick really, I always carry a croche needle. I use it to for the surgoens knot and the union knot. It really cuts down the time it take to tie on a new section of tippet or rebuilt a busted leader. If anyone uses the surgeons knot in lieu of the blood knot, give it a try. You can get them at Wal-mart for $1.50. Make sure you get a small one but not the smallest.

I have a Buzz-Off shirt and I agree, it works well. They are expensive though. If it wasn't for being given it as a gift, I doubt I would own one. It is nice to not use bug spray. From what I've heard Deet breaks down fly line.

A few weeks ago I picked that tippet/floatant holder at Cabelas. So far I like it. It's one less thing hanging from my hip pack.

Padraic wrote:
I picked up a seining net that attaches to a landing net. It is stored in a little pouch that slips over the landing net's handle. When you need the siene just pull it out of the pouch and over the landing net. You don't need to carry anything extra (if you like carrying landing nets... which I do)

That's my favorite.

As my eyesight continues to degrade with age the Crystal lens implant might make the list.

Flyfisherman

Thats the kind I have, maybe I just need to find a better place to put it. I'll give it another try!

PaulG

Ps, sorry maurice!

That's the tippet caddie I use as well. Got it at Cabelas. For me it fits in a pocket on my Fishpond vest on a loop at the top of the pocket. I like to have the tippets on my right side but I am left handed and cast with my left hand. I like that way it tucks in the pocket when I'm fishing.

I'm carrying so many bags and paraphenalia I feel stupid when someone drives by, or walks by, that doesnt know the sport, and I kind of gear up in secrecy. My spin rod friends have a lot of behind my back jokes, and openly call me "puffy pants" every now and then. But, I see a need for most of the gadgets on the market as I grow wiser and older, and slower and stupider. I dont have the hat visor yet, but will next year!
Sorry didnt mean to blog.
I bought a water bottle strap to go around my waist. I like it.

Buckbarrett,

I just wear a backpack when I fish unknown water (when I need more gear that usual). I got sick of having too much stuff to carry in a chestpack!

The only problem is that it's the same backpack that I use for school.

I found out the hard way when I left some linear algebra notes in the one pocket during my trip to the gunpowder. I waded a bit deep and got the bottom of the bag wet... I really could have used them when I tried to study the other day, but they were smeared and crumpled up from getting wet. :-?

I guess it was a lesson learned.

Thats funny JayL. I've been having those ironic moments myself this year. Camera batteries dying on the fish of the year, last best fly stuck in a tree, etc, etc. I feel you my brother...

For those interested in the LED HATS Orvis has a sale on them. $16 bucks is tough to beat. I know some of you don't like Orvis much, but the price is good.

Back