Upper Tully

Jessed

Jessed

I was driving around looking for new spots to fish for future trips and decided I'd scout out the upper tulpehocken creek. I was driving and found the creek and was driving along it and crossed a small bridge and there were so many signs that were saying no fishing from bridge, under the bridge, on the sides of the bridge etc. There was so many signs that something seemed super weird. After a little bit of driving I saw there was a hatchery right up stream. And a pay to fish place. I thought hmmmm maybe that's why there are no fishing signs for what seems like 2 miles downstream of this place. Do you think they put those signs there from having people fish the stream and catching fish that went downstream? I though hmm maybe that's what people where doing and people got sick of people fishing and littering on their property ( I would be). But I noticed that the farm on the left side had a fence where the property markers were and there was a little bit of space behind it and on the other side there was a bit of the same. Super weird. Anyone fish this stream or found water that didn't look like it was hit by the fishing communist. Lol

I found a article saying that there was a flood and 300,000 fish poured into the streams and all people came and were keeping hundreds of fish disrespecting laws and regs. Throwing trash and fighting tm with property owners. State came and put catch and release signs but the fisherman were hanging hooks out and treating fish poorly causing them to die so they shut it all down at once. Looks like I gotta ask permission by land owner!

Yes the the flood and resulting onslaught of slobs resulted in more land being posted. Yes, there's a lot of the Upper Tully that is posted. Yes, there is open water as well if you're willing to look around. It's a stocked trout water, and the state isn't in the habit of stocking posted water. So, that's a hint for you, but that's all you're gettin' from me ;-)

Beautiful stream! That's a limestoner huh?

I fished it for the first time last spring a few weeks after opening day but before the inseason stocking. The first and third fish of the late morning were wild Browns up to 13 inches long. The stream is only stocked with rainbows in deference to the wild Browns.

I worked at that hatchery in the late 80's on a coho program. There are wild fish in much if the stream. Quarry has springs as well which end up in the creek. I know TU did a lot of work on a few sections and worked with landowners on getting angler access. Jdaddy had a lot to do with that if I'm not mistaken.

It's a real shame that people don't care and acted like that to cause all the posted signs to go up. I still think there is access there that no one owns based on the property markets I saw. But I totally get why the people posted it but it's a shame those people ruined it for everyone else. People just don't care. I found a air conditioner in a wild brown trout stream and pulled it out if the water but couldn't carry it up the super steep hill.

Back