Up the creek without a Paddle

DaveS

DaveS

Last weekend I finally got back out on the Yough with the pontoon to do some fishing.
Fishing was decent and you can check that out in the stream reports section.
The REAL turning point in the ten mile trip occurred in the last mile. Just as we came into the rapids known as the ” Rock Garden” I snapped the blade off my left oar.
Dammit.
Well the steering immediately goes to sheat and we’re pin wheeling thru the rocks, promising to render a half dozen fly rods into swizzle sticks.
All the while the broken blade bobs around us in teasing manner as though I’d always taken it for granted.
Dammit
I finally manage to coax the boat into a little nook. Anchor out and grab the net to try a retrieve the absentee blade. No dice.
Dammit again.
Adapt, improvise and overcome.
Search the bank side for a suitable limb and pulled out my water proof duct tape. I fashioned the makeshift blade in the picture.
We then Broke down all the rods and stowed all the valuable stuff.
Handing a PFD to my fishing partner I advised we might as well not take anything for granted at this point. ( it is technically the law to wear PFDs in Ohiopyle anyway. I usually do not but that another story)
We pretty much made short work of the rest of the rapids, but I do appreciate the other oars’ integrity through this endeavor.

You can never take water and the power of it for granted. I hope my experience and subsequently sharing it here serves as a reminder.

The Yough is always full of surprises and this day was no exception.
In the meantime, if anyone has any experience with oars, I am in the market for a few.

Attachments

• 6572C174-06CB-416B-8D5B-756803D0824B.jpeg
    6572C174-06CB-416B-8D5B-756803D0824B.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 192AF002-CC64-4AB3-81D5-C10B5459614D.jpeg
    192AF002-CC64-4AB3-81D5-C10B5459614D.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 5
Great story, glad everything/one made it through.

I canoe, and the old joke vs the kayakers is “half the paddle, twice the paddler!”.

On a pontoon though I could see the one oar issue.

Good PSA to always pack a spare paddle/oar. Great improv with the stick and duct tape; strong work!

Good story and keeping your wits about you and getting a plan in place. A lot of smart moves there to minimize the risk (and damage/cost) once you had the initial problem.

I have a lot of experience on many waters in PA, NC, VA, and WV in a canoe, including the Yough. The most powerful and techniquely challenging was the New River in West Virginia from the I-64 bridge to Stonecliff.

This is upstream from the well known white water rafting where an open canoe doesn't belong.

We capsized somewhere during that stretch and my friend went completely submerged for I don't know how long, but long enough to scare the $h!t out of both of us, and he was wearing his PFD.

The New is a very big and powerful river. Never under estimate the power of moving water, and always wear a properly fitting PFD.

That was good thinking Dave. If that happened to me that far in a float i'd be toast for obvious reasons.

I had a buddy let an oar on my boat go in the water someone in riffle before the junction pool on the delaware a couple years ago. I had to dive in and grab it and the water was pretty deep and I'm not a good swimmer. It took a few hundred yards before i could get back in the boat, I'm sure it looked hilarious. Believe it or not beer played a role in that...

I'll add that dave is a great guy to fish with.

Awesome story and even better improvisation with the branch and duct tape! I bet the boys at the pull out got a laugh when they saw that oar lol

Canoetripper wrote:
I have a lot of experience on many waters in PA, NC, VA, and WV in a canoe, including the Yough. The most powerful and techniquely challenging was the New River in West Virginia from the I-64 bridge to Stonecliff.

This is upstream from the well known white water rafting where an open canoe doesn't belong.

We capsized somewhere during that stretch and my friend went completely submerged for I don't know how long, but long enough to scare the $h!t out of both of us, and he was wearing his PFD.

The New is a very big and powerful river. Never under estimate the power of moving water, and always wear a properly fitting PFD.

"Where an open canoe doesn't belong"

With all due respect, there is no water in PA or WV that hasn't or could not be paddled in an well outfitted open boat, both OC1 or OC2.

Add the recent burst of short stable & maneuverable PE canoes and they sky is the limit with a skilled paddler.

Heck, John Sweet ran the Gauley in a 12' C1 (not open) in the 60's. Sit at the put in at Summersville & you'll see dozen of open boaters put on daily during Gauley fest, same with its neighbor, the New.

Now a 16' coleman Scanoe...yeah they do not belong.

Anyway, back to fishing talk...

good story, glad you overcame and didn't loose gear

That oar pictured looks like a Sawyer SST model which i believe has non removable / non replaceable blades.

if you want a similar oar with replaceable blade check out the Cataract KBO - The shaft and blade are sold separately with choice of blade shape.

The other option would be to go with a full sized Oar lock and full sized 1-7/8" diameter Oar from Sawyer, Cataract or Carlisle. They have multiple models and blade options. These are beefier oars and blades but also heavier than what you had and might take some getting used too.

+1 on Carlisle for a budget oar or paddle. I always haul one as a spare or for when in shallow water when I don’t want to tear up my fancy Bending Branches paddle.

I wasn't clear enough in my above post, but for many years my outdoor recreation passion was a three day/two night canoe/camping trip in an Old Town Tripper 17' 4" canoe that was fully loaded with coolers and camping gear. That adds a lot of weight to an open canoe and limits me to class III rapids.

On my one and only rafting trip on the upper Gauley River in West Virginia, all I saw were professionally guided rafts and talented kayakers. I didn't see any one out there in a whitewater designed open canoe with full floatation. That was all I observed.

Chromefinder has a good eye for oars. I agree the KBO is a very economical oar, if only they came longer. I’ve sort of come to like a lighter longer oar because the boat becomes so nimble. And that’s what keeps me from pulling the trigger on full sized oars. Plus it’s not uncommon to have to carry in or out and I catch plenty of $hit for all my gear, candy bars, cutting board, meat stick etc...
So I looked at Edge, and Cataract and Pro- something. Sawyer is my best option IMO. But my ears are open.

You might be able to get Advanced Composites aka Cataract in Salt Lake City to make a KBO shaft longer than 7.5 ft call them PHONE: +1 (801) 467-1204.

I do know they offer them oin both 2pc and 1 PC.

Sawyer also has the Smoker Bandit Carbon Fiber full size oars

Smokers are definitely sweet. And they’d look great on my toon. But a pair is roughly $900 and that’s outboard motor money where I come from. Sawyer is offering me a discount On new SSTs because I had a failure. This is worth noting. If they can meet the delivery they say they can, I will probably get Sawyer tattooed on my... I’ll be pretty happy!
And this leads me to think,
Can I build my own?
As least some flat water sticks?

Dave, things happen on Yough. I remember once I punctured my pontoon half a way from Ram Cat.
What important you are fine and safe home.

Attachments

• paddles.jpg
    paddles.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 4
Neat story and a well designed, field expedient paddle - gotta love duct tape.

I have a set of oars that would work for you. 8’ cataract mini mags. Including a breakdown spare so that you don’t have to resort to duct tape again. $250 for the whole kit. $300 if you want the cobra oar locks too. They’ve been used maybe 5 times. Shoot me a message and we can figure something out.

Terrific save after the broken paddle! Given these things happen at the worst times, you might consider rigging up a spare.

web strap with loop on one end...

tie down on the other...

rides tight to the boat...

I can't take credit for this setup. I'm more of a fisherman than a whitewater junkie. At the urging of some true river rats, I adopted their setup and, after a little practice, can have the spare oar free and in the lock in a few seconds.

Back