Unusual Tracks in the Snow...

DaveS

DaveS

My girlfriend pointed out a set of tracks this morning on a little hike thru the snow. I was quickly able to rule out; Bigfoot, PA Mountian Lion, or even stocking truck...

I was very surprised to see this at the end of the trail.

I love the story that is written in the snowy tracks that winter can provide. I just didn't expect this chapter, this morning.

Attachments

• 20150201_121650 - Copy.jpg
    20150201_121650 - Copy.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 7
That is a midwinter surprise for sure! Cool find! How far did you have to track him?

Roughly nine feet.

LOL!

We moved him to the next seep, where a Spring was keeping the water from freezing. How it knew that water was warmer I have no idea, but that's where it was heading!

Is that a salamander? I didn't realize they played in the snow? They don't hibernate?

Probably made a snow angel somewhere nearby. Do you know the species, I can't tell from the pic.

Spotted salamander, of the Ambystoma genus. These and Jeffersons surprise a lot of people during winter. DaveS, do you mind private messaging me the location, I'd like to see the area when they gather in the spring vernal pools to breed. I'm guessing the area might already be a protected wetland.

You mean the skat wasn't a dead giveaway? LOL. Those little guys are definitely tough.

I was up in the Quehanna wilderness back in Dec. near some old beaver channels, Water nearly froze hard enough to walk on and the channels were full of Salamanders. and little black tadpoles. I was really surprised to see either one.

Very cool. I've seen a few above ground in late Feb./early March after rains. They migrate to their breeding sites (non-permanent pools). But while the weather seems appropriate, this seems a little early.

I don't know about everyone else on this site, but these kind of observations make my day. We've all seen some unusual things. But you got the the image and shared it. Thanks man.

I am proud of you with your tracking capabilities. You ruled out several options and tracked it down over the 9'.

P.S. cool picture.

Thanks for posting that Dave.

Probably saved him from being hawk food.

Back