Undercoffer Article

R

rrt

In the current issue of "Pennsylvania Outdoor News," there is a nice article about long-time wild trout advocate Ken Undercoffer (who occasionally contributes to this board's forum). The article reflects on Undercoffer's continued advocacy for wild trout. At 84 he still pursues them regularly, too. It is a nice read about a man who has always had the best interests of wild trout at heart -- well worth reading. Undercoffer really is a hero concerning wild trout conservation.

Kudos to Ken! The recognition is well deserved.

I have a copy of what I believe is an article by Ken Undercoffer, called "The Real Natives". It's 3.5 pages describing the history of the native brook trout, and it's rage throughout Pa. I honestly don't remember where I got it. I've had it for years.

Ken Undercoffer, name rings a bell, been a long time. We may have met, possible. I heard the name mentioned by late friend, Robert Rinn!

Rinn, story teller, reminded me of his memories friends. Undercoffer came up on occasion.

where am i going from here. Where can i go, as limited or opposed to names. Some dislike it when i name names. Some think i am a fool! Your right, a fool. Smart enough to remember, brothers and the brotherly loved they shared! The fool in me will never forget, Ken, Bob, Don, Lefty, Dave, Charles, Ed, Joe, Harry, Bill, etc.

And what about Norm, inky and jack! Names, Just names! Greatest names in Pa. fishing. They gave all to provide you opportunity to keep fishing. That's all. The fool is the man that forgets.

Ken's a good man and has been a significant credit to the well being of our cold water fisheries, especially that of our native brook trout.

>>I have a copy of what I believe is an article by Ken Undercoffer, called "The Real Natives". It's 3.5 pages describing the history of the native brook trout, and it's rage throughout Pa. I honestly don't remember where I got it. I've had it for years.>>

I may be mistaken, but I believe this article was originally published back in the late 90's in Pennsylvania TROUT and as well as online during the first year or so of the PATU web site.

RLeep2 wrote:
Ken's a good man and has been a significant credit to the well being of our cold water fisheries, especially that of our native brook trout.

>>I have a copy of what I believe is an article by Ken Undercoffer, called "The Real Natives". It's 3.5 pages describing the history of the native brook trout, and it's rage throughout Pa. I honestly don't remember where I got it. I've had it for years.>>

I may be mistaken, but I believe this article was originally published back in the late 90's in Pennsylvania TROUT and as well as online during the first year or so of the PATU web site.

Here is Ken's article on brook trout:

https://patrout.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/the_real_natives.pdf

Kudos to Ken. He has really helped raise awareness of the value of native brook trout in PA among many people.

I think the advocacy for brook trout by Ken and others has had tangible benefits, i.e. improved management resulting in better populations.

There is still a long way to go, but I think there have been some gains.

There are several articles on the PA Trout Unlimited Website which I wrote about brook trout. They can be accessed by searching the DOCUMENTS section of the PATU Website. They are derived from my collection of Old Angling Literature and technical reports. Much of this stuff goes way back to when RLeep2 was the editor of the PATU newsletter and we were building the Website. If you want to communicate with me regarding any of this stuff or have questions, I can be reached at kcoffer@atlanticbb.net

Gentlemen like Ken U. have become very happy with the money they earned and became rich for what they gave.

I have to be honest, as long as I've been a member here, I wasn't aware that KenU and Ken Undercoffer were the same person. My apologies to Ken.
It's like I wasn't initially aware that troutbert/Dwight was actually the author of Trout Streams of Pennsylvania. Both of these fellows are top shelf.

In the distant past, I have traded words with Ken over his fanaticism for native brookies in PA. But I have matured and began to admire his passion. I would never have guessed he would be 84 years of age. Many more Ken.

Back