Umpqua Ledges 650 or Simms Headwaters Pro

R

Rambo93

I'm currently caught between the Umpqua Ledges 650 and the Simms Headwaters Pro waistpack.
Can anyone help me out with their opinions or personal experience. I want to be able to carry 2-3 fly boxes, water, snacks, cell phone, 4-5 tippet spools, thermometer, hemos, nippers, indicators, split shot. I have a smaller chestpack now but looking for a waistpack for steelhead season where I walk long distances and carry lots of gear.

Wait, Simms is comming out with new packs in 2014, should be available late this year early next year. Either get the new model or get the old on closeout. Worth the waite eitherway.

I second the Simms. I've had one for over a year now. I use it for steelhead & a lot for warm water fishing. It will definitely hold the gear you're looking at. I have a Fishpond Waterdance pack also, but I like the Simms a little better b/c it is sturdier, but also is more water resistant. I've looked at that Umpqua pack & it looks good. If you can hold out, the headwaters pack on closeout would be great in my opinion.

Either pack will work for you. The Simms is MUCH larger.

Umpqua has:
- Internal frame (like Osprey Packs)
- more weight

Simms:
- More room
- Rigging "area"
- lighter weight

Personally, I don't use waist packs that aren't submersible.

Well guys, kinda forgot I started this thread, I ordered the Umpqua. I will let you guys know what I think of it. Should be here tomorrow. I couldn't find any online video reviews of the Simms and I liked how many internal pockets the Umpqua had.

Also the Simms isn't bigger its 162ci smaller than the Umpqua.

Well guys this pack is sweet, fished with it for 8 hours in Erie on Saturday and it was comfortable as can be. Holds tons of gear including all of my floats, hooks, and my jig box for when I'm using my centerpin, without having to remove my fly boxes!

Back