Ultra Wire

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
I really like this stuff. In fact, I rarely use flat tinsel type ribbing anymore except for decorative flies. For "fishing" flies, I mostly use UW these days. It comes in a variety of diameters and colors, is easy to work with (doesn't come unwound), and provides weight.

In particular, I like red UW for blood midges. This is just about the easiest fly to tie: just wire wrapped around a hook - and it sinks hard and fast. This fly makes for a great dropper or heavy point fly when fished with a conventional nymph. Tie your blood midges on a curved, scud style hook (this will flip the fly over and reduce snags when drifting) and keep 'em on the small side, about a quarter inch in body length.

If you're a beginner fly tier looking for some fun and very easy ties that also catch fish well, get some UW in red and maybe some other colors and go to it.

Attachments

• wire4.JPG
    wire4.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 8
I totally agree with you, Dave. I remember seeing an article years ago in a fly fishing magazine with an article about a tie that they called the metallic caddis. Beadhead, Ultra wire body and a small peacock herl thorax. A very simple tie, I tied them in red, green and copper and have done well with them over the years. They sink like a rock. Mixing and matching wire and bead colors can give a wide variety of looks.

I like Ultra Wire but it comes in five sizes - X-Small (XS), Small (SM), Brassie (BR), Medium (MD), Large (LG) - so having a wide assortment by size and color can get expensive.

The two sizes I use most are small and brassie in gold, hot yellow and silver. I only use silver in the brassie size for wooly buggers.

JStockard sells ultra wire for $1.65 to $2.65 per spool. Here's their page for ultra wire:

J Stockard UTC page

I feel like I am late to the party on this topic but I have to agree with all that was said. I like the utc ultra wire and use it on anything that needs ribbed. I only use tinsel when it is the body material on something like a bucktail type minnow.

Red wire blood midges are deadly this time of year.

Back