Ultra selective trout. What do I do ?!

Did you ever see Great White Sharks launch themselves out of the ocean to get seals, they do this every they hunt seals but particularly off the cost of South Africa.

I have been fly fishing for 4 years - tying my own for about 2 1/2. When I first started tying, after mastering the standards (pheasant tails, hare's ears, etc.) I found that I really enjoyed tying soft hackles. Of all the flies I have tied, a gold ribbed hare's ear soft hackle is 14 and 16 have taken more fish than anything else.

On one occasion, I noticed some risers just downstream of where I was swinging a wet fly. It was then that I realized I could target rising fish by swinging the fly just upstream of the rising fish. And when a trout hits a wet fly on the swing, it slams it! When I had repeated success with that method, I then applied that approach to target fish in likely holding areas - at the head of a pool, or at the end of a riffle, or a the base of a submerged log. It amazed me how often the fish are where you think they are. As littlelehigh says, this taught me that presentation was likely more important that the fly.

And the nice thing about soft hackles, particularly the hare's ear soft hackle, is that it can represent a number of bugs in various stages of life.

Larry and I swung soft hackles past them as well when we couldn't catch them. No sucess. They would follow them but not take.
Like Becker said the only option left was some juice.
Thank for all the advice.

I just recently found some trout sipping invisible insects. Whenever I find myself in that situation I fish a 20 or 22 griffiths gnat with varied but usually good results. If that doesn't work I usually just fish nymphs but will try the soft hackle as everyone on here seems to agree is the ticket.

Back