type of "sulphur" ?

SBecker

SBecker

Fished a Berks county stream today. For the first time I ran into a "sulphur" that I can't say I have ever seen before. It was a size 12-14 had two tails, bright Orange body, yellow wings and on the front edges there was barring or black spots. It also had two small wings behind the main wings. I took some blurry pictures on my dying cell phone. I can't get them up at this minute, but if you guys have no clue I will get them up ASAP.

Cahill of some kind i reckon.

That sounds like what we call an "Orange Cahill" around here. Very beautiful bug. I've tied some imitations with a body of orange Glo-Bug yarn. That might seem over-the-top, but if you want a body that is ORANGE, that will do it. The trout took the fly well.

troutbert wrote:
That sounds like what we call an "Orange Cahill" around here. Very beautiful bug. I've tied some imitations with a body of orange Glo-Bug yarn. That might seem over-the-top, but if you want a body that is ORANGE, that will do it. The trout took the fly well.

Really? That orange? I've never run across one before. Where are they found?

It was the most yellowish Orange mayfly I have ever seen.

Here's a guess which fits your description. Very early to see em, but here goes anyway:

Stenacron Interpuncatum

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/618

Yeah Shane.... are you sure it wasn't a cranefly? It never gets old! here is our page on it.

Orange Cahill

Attachments

• Orange Cahill2.jpg
    Orange Cahill2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 8
Maurice and Pcray, that is it! Thanks it proves I learn something new everyday.

afishinado wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Really? That orange? I've never run across one before. Where are they found?

See the photos from Troutnut that PCray posted. I'm pretty sure that's the same bug we call the Orange Cahill. I recall seeing them mostly on medium to larger central PA limestoners. But I think I may have seen them on some of the fertile freestoners too. The photo Maurice posted looks like the same bug. So they're around. Don't expect to see blanket hatches, just some here and there, along with other cahills.

Orange glo bug yarn is an exaggeration of the color, but as you can see from the Troutnut photos, the real bug has a body that is pretty intensely orange.

You can mix some orange glo blug yarn in with other dubbings too, to punch up the color a little.

Is it weird to think a bug is beautiful?

No, I had this conversations with a non fly fisher. Talking about the beuty of mayflies and how I hate all other bugs.

lv2nymph wrote:
Is it weird to think a bug is beautiful?

Not if the bug is beautiful.

Hope this helps. :)

It does, thanks. And much cheaper than therapy. :lol:

It's not weird to think of any mayfly as beautiful, I happen to think they all are, just some are more beautiful than others, particularly the yellow and orange ones.
I agree with Pcray Troutbert and Maurice on this bug.
Is that ruler in the pics from troutnut in cm's?

Chaz wrote:
Is that ruler in the pics from troutnut in cm's?

Yes it is. An easy way to tell is by counting the smallest markings between digits.

16 = inch (smallest markings usually 1/16 inch)

10 = cm (smallest markings usually mm)

I always thought it was in inches, until I thought about it and counted the little slashes.

Back