Tying with Kapok

salmo

salmo

I bought some kapok from Etsy. Nice stuff for dry fly dubbing. The stuff practically disappears on the thread. Does anyone have an idea as to how it takes color either with dye or permanent markers?

I bought some kapok from Etsy. Nice stuff for dry fly dubbing. The stuff practically disappears on the thread. Does anyone have an idea as to how it takes color either with dye or permanent markers?
looked this stuff up

"Traditionally Kapok is very difficult to dye however the team at Semperfli have been working with computer based dying machinery which has enabled it to bulk dye Kapok Dry Fly Dubbing Mayfly Dispenser with repeatable colours every time. With Kapok Dry Fly Dubbing Mayfly Dispenser fibres buoyancy is lost slowly, tests have left it for days in test baths and it very slowly over days absorbs water.":

I had already read that, but thought that they were trying to sell product. I’m cynical in that regard.

You'll probably have more luck coloring it with alcohol markers as dyeing the stuff is a pain. I've tried dyeing big batches of it... it' not easy.

Thanks. If you blend it with rabbit fur or muskrat a great dubbing for dry flies. Used it to tie some March browns and the color was about right after adding some cream Hareline dubbing. I’ll try gray first for some BWO flies. Will let you know. Watch this space.

I’ll tie a few with the markers and let you know.

Raw kapok Blended kapok and thorax of blended kapok colored with marker.

Attachments

• IMG_8904.jpeg
    IMG_8904.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8905.jpeg
    IMG_8905.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8906.jpeg
    IMG_8906.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 45
When kapok was widely used - pre-WWII - it was found to be very difficult to dye. Very uneven color saturation.

Also the best way to apply kapok dub is by using the split thread method. I hope that this helps.

Kim

The last image was to show the kapok dubbed on a fly.

I’ve been experimenting with the Kapok for dry fly dubbin. I spins on the thread like a dream - thin and adheres well. I use permanent markers to color it. I noticed that it takes the color on the dark side. I will probably use lighter color threads. So if I’m tying a BWO, I might use a chartreuse thread and apply an olive marker. I also use markers to color the thread for a darker or lighter head.

Semperfli Kapok has been awesome. I can say that when tying size 24-28 I still do a dubbing loop and the flies are like cork. The colors from Semperfli have been really good for me. I usually make my own dubbing but Semperl]fli Kapok is king for dries for me right now.

Back