tying with junk

krayfish

krayfish

Has anyone used dental floss, more specifically, dental tape? I just tied up 18 iso nymphs using dental tape for the line up the back of the nymph. Mint flavored too which I believe will have zero impact on catch rate. Little coat of 'loon hard head' on the back to protect it. Looks good too.

illegal to use in special regs, its flavored.

I use the unflavored dental floss for building up bodies. The thread really grabs the waxed floss and you can build nice tapered bodies to wrap dubbing over or whatever.

Yep, I use dental floss for the same. Thought I was the only one who did that, works great. What the heck is dental tape? I'm guessing it's like floss but sticky?

Tape is the wide flat version of floss.

Oh, I know what your sayin. If it's the un waxed stuff I take a needle and split it into fine threads and use it for a windicator on my bow. So sensitive a mouse fart will make it sway.

nice description lv2nymph. Thought about using a windicator on my bow, but figured it would just get ripped off. Use milk week seeds. you can really watch how your scent is carried through the woods. Picked that up from a video that was recommended to me from a member on here. Great stuff.

I never used dental floss, but it have used easter egg basket bedding. Worked well for flash back wing cases.

Unwaxed tape is made of PTFE and is similar to gore-tex. I like it for wing cases on smaller flies. The unwaxed tape can be colored w/ a sharpie.

mike_richardson wrote:
nice description lv2nymph. Thought about using a windicator on my bow, but figured it would just get ripped off.

I use just a tiny drop of hot melt glue, lasts all season. Creeping through brush once in a while it'll take a hit but that generally just frays it a little more, and the hot melt doesn't damage the bow's finish. :-D

krayfish wrote:
Has anyone used dental floss, more specifically, dental tape? I just tied up 18 iso nymphs using dental tape for the line up the back of the nymph. Mint flavored too which I believe will have zero impact on catch rate. Little coat of 'loon hard head' on the back to protect it. Looks good too.

I would like to see a pic of these Isos Andy...

J,
I'll text photo after work. Don't want to open myself up to ridicule for bad tying skiils on the forum. Remember that I'm wearing contacts, reading glasses and have a magnifyer. My eyes are shot. Got to tie and fish before the sight is completely gone.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's using it. It seems quite durable and gives the fish minty breathe.

I use it on my iso's as well.

Kray

you know the abuse will flow no matter what. Give us newbie tyers a look at the ties.

D

krayfish wrote:
J,
I'll text photo after work. Don't want to open myself up to ridicule for bad tying skiils on the forum. Remember that I'm wearing contacts, reading glasses and have a magnifyer. My eyes are shot. Got to tie and fish before the sight is completely gone.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that's using it. It seems quite durable and gives the fish minty breathe.

Aww, cmon Kray. I'll show mine if you show yours. :roll:

I've been tying for 31 yrs. Haven't tied much in the last 10-12 yrs due to bad eyesight. I guess I can tie 'pretty' if I have to but simply go for functionality. General size and color is all I'm shooting for. I'll post some pics. If you guys woodpile me, I'll have to reload and tie pretty ones to post.

We'll be nice, promise... :-D

here's an iso nymph

Attachments

• flies....sorta (4).jpg
    flies....sorta (4).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3
Hey, where's the floss? You promised floss.

ok. that was one of the first attempts when the nephew tried to make 'something'. Here's ISO nymphs, MB nymphs and ISO thorax. Be nice or I'll cry.

Attachments

• nymphs.JPG
    nymphs.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 4
  • nymphs (1).JPG
    nymphs (1).JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 5
  • iso thorax.JPG
    iso thorax.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 4
What are you worried about? their awesome.

Back