Tying vise recommendations

rudeone

rudeone

Looking to start tying my own flies. I need advice on what type of vise to buy. Any words or wisdom? Thanks in advance.

My 2 cents as a fly tyer of about 5 years...buy a solid first first vice but try not to go insane on the price...Go to a fly shop, look at them and have the owner show you the different options...I have a knock off of a Renzetti with a cam on it...cost me $40 and it works just fine...as I have gotten better...there have a been times I have thought about buying a new one but until I start to tie something this can't handle...not going to do it...

Look for a multipurpose vice that can handle the hook sizes you think you will tie the most...trout....18-10 with the occiasional larger streamer hook...I live in little washingon...we should get together some night and tie some up...

Boss_steb

I have a Peak Rotary vise with the pedestal stand and I love it. I think I paid about $130 for it. Great quality and craftsmanship and cheaper than most in its class.

If you get one be sure to get the add'l brass screws with it though. It does not come with them. They are an add'l cost, or at least they were when I bought mine.

I'm not high on paying $200+ for a vise. I have seen the peaks as cls has and they are nice. I haven't tied on one but kicked around the purchase for a while. I ended up going with an anvil apex. A nice solid vise with pedestal and base for around $100. I've tied anywhere from 2/0 salt hooks down to 24 midges. Not a true full rotary but it does have some of that functionality which I use. Renzetti and Dyna King make some nice vises but I can't justify the cost when there are other solid vises that get the job done as well.

As with everything your mileage may vary but if you can get your hands on some to play with them a bit you might get a better idea of which you like better. Also take a look at Regal, another enjoyable vise.

Vise Reviews

Meander through that too. Some decent evals. in there.

i also have the peak rotary vise, i love it, if your tying small midge flies get the midge jaws also

Invest $19.99 to get a AA vise to learn and once you're sure you will tie often enough to want some more convenience and comfort, look around for a good deal on a nice rotary that fits your needs.

I have a AA and have tied on it for 8 years. I may tie 6-10 dozen flies a year, 80% of which are between size 12-18. I can tie larger streamers and poppers and tiny midges/tricos when I need to do so.

This is not the best tool for any purpose, but it is servicable for all purposes. If I tied more often and enjoyed sitting at the vice, I think I'd invest in a decent rotary.

What I'd hope you would want to avoid is investing lots of cash in a great vice while a novice (when the wonderful features will be nearly useless to you) and then find you lack the time or inclination to tie your own flies or tie many and often and have that money essentially go to waste.

I tie much more often than jack, and still find the AA to be just fine. It depends how cheap you are, I guess. I'd rather spend the money on gear.

Add me to the list of Peak fans. Great advise regarding the brass screws and midge jaws, I have both and am very pleased with the quality.

Before that, I had a cheapie vise that came with a fly tying kit from Cabelas that I recieves as a gift maybe 10 years ago. I tied many a fly on it and learned on that vise. If you want the cheap way out, the AA is the way to go. If money isn't much of an issue, you can't go wrong with Renzetti or Peak. If you buy one of these and decide you don't like tying, they will be easy to sell.

You may want to consider doing is taking some tying classes during the winter months at International Angler or some other fly shop local to you. There are plenty of sources with video these days where you can learn, but those classes are worthwhile.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

I made the mistake of buying a Cabela's kit with their "Master Vise." Its pure junk.

I tried to stay on budget when I replaced it after about 6 months, and picked up a Griffin Odyssey Spider for $80.

I rarely use the rotory feature, and I probably would be just fine with one of their cheaper non-rotating vises.

If money were no issue, I'd have bought a Regal.

thompson AA all the way.

i like the cabella's vise below the master,their super II,but i don't own one.

i tye with a renzetti traveler.love it,but to start i'd use a thompson or thompson knockoff

I have been tying with an anvil atlas for about a year now and I like it very much. Its made in the U.S. and its well put together. its around 150.00 but I think it was worth the price. My friend has the apex which is not rotary and he likes his also. they run about 100.00 I would recommend them to anyone. and no I am not a salesman or a stock holder in the co. Fred

jayL wrote:
I tie much more often than jack, and still find the AA to be just fine. It depends how cheap you are, I guess. I'd rather spend the money on gear.

I'm with you Jay. I can tie anything on my cheapo vise I got in a Cabela's kit and would rather spend money on more materials or gear.... however my vise just crapped out on me a few weeks ago... the threads got stripped and now my vise clamps don't stay tight. I luckily got a 1970's circa tying kit from a buddy who doesn't tie and am using that vise temporarily until I purchase a new one. Might be a while till I get to that purchase though but the old vise is doing just fine for the around 250 steelhead flies I've tied up in the past few weeks.

My advise is that if you're just starting out, try a cheap vise... then when you like tying you can upgrade. Tying isn't for everyone, but it is rewarding to catch fish on a fly you made.

Ryan

I started with a Renzetti Traveler and plan on using it until I can pass it down to my son. IMO you get what you pay for. It costs more than many others but I think it's worth it.

I've been tying on a Griffin 3AR for many years and have been happy with the vise. If you don't want to spend the money on a Renzetti, then give the Griffin vises a look. Most of them also carry a lifetime guarantee.

I've also been using the Peak Rotary vise. It's made in the USA, it has a lifetime guarantee for about $130.

I am very happy with it - I don't have the midge jaws, but I tie down to size 26 with it pretty easily anyway. Midge jaws would probably be nice though they're not necessary.

p.s. that's not the peak vise in the avatar picture. That's a campground set up. That vise comes with plank and granite rock.

i started with a generic flytying kit i still use the tools but the vice i got tired of i went out and found a griffin mongoose on sale i think i paid like 80$ for it i got the pedistal a clamp i got the lil arm thing but it hardly use the rotary unless im trimming a fly

Wow, just was turned on to a new web site. www.thefishguy.net...he has the knock off spring cam vices for $30 including shipping... This is fantastic starter vice...

boss - your link didn't work for me. Try this one...

The Fish Guy

I bought one of those "multi action vises" from him, and it is a true P.O.S. - the spring action ones are much better. The jaws on both of those are kinda soft though.

I've been tying for about 11 years now, 10 of those on Renzetti Traveler vises. My father's first and then my own with the cam jaws. During the winter I'm at the vise every single day, I run out of room in my fly boxes on a very routine basis. For me, the Renzetti was the way to go, it was about 100 bucks when I got it, and I'd be suprised if I ever got a new vise. The true rotary helped a lot, not only to tie nicer looking flies but flies that were more durable and quickly tied. The cam jaws are awesome, I tie 3/4 oz bucktail jigs for walleye fishermen I know and it holds them TIGHT.
Start with a cheap vise and a few materials to tie up some flies. If you feel you'll get really serious about it, look at a vise similar to the Traveler. The ammount of money I've spent on tying materials and rods/reels and lines over the years really dwarfs the 100 bucks I spent on that vise, but the enjoyment and quality flies I've gotten from it really make it a deal.

ezpickins wrote:
p.s. that's not the peak vise in the avatar picture. That's a campground set up. That vise comes with plank and granite rock.

It looks just like my Malasian AA vice, except I have mine clamped to a desk, rather than the plank and boulder method.

Back