tying thread

F

flytyingfred

I was wondering what everyones favorite fly tying thread is.I am in the process of restocking my inventory. I have mostly unithread in 6-0 and 8-0 I am not unhappy with it its just I am not really familiar with the other threads out there. any info on this subject will be appreciated.

I have mostly ultrathread, but prefer the unithread.

What are you not happy with? I use 6-0 uni for streamers and hairwings and 14/0 gordon griffith's for everything else.

I started out using UNI threads, but I now prefer to use UTC and Danville threads for most flies I tie.

I also really like using Gordon Griffith's 14/0 for dries. The 14/0 is a good bit thinner than UNI 8/0 thread, so it adds less bulk while tying. I also find the 14/0 to be nearly as strong as UNI 8/0.

alphabuck
I think you misread my post I said I was NOT UNHAPPY with the unithread but I just have never used anything else and was wondering what else was out there and if there was anything you guys thought was a better product. I would like to know where you get the griffiths 14/0 thread. thanks guys

I like UNI 8/0. I'm sure I'm not good enough to detect any difference though.

I am a guedenbrod guy, but seeing as they don't make it anymore I'll soon be looking for a different brand.

I stocked up once they stopped producing fly tying thread.

flytyingfred wrote:
I would like to know where you get the griffiths 14/0 thread. thanks guys

Fred - these guys have it.

http://flyfishersparadise.com/

Danville Flymaster 6/0 and Griffiths 14/0 are my favorites - they both can be manipulated to lie flat by spinning the bobbin. Uni doesn't do that as well.

Bennechi 12/0 is another good one...

I tie a lot of big bass and salt patterns using thick clumps of deer hair, synthetic hair, and foam all of which require a considerable amount of force and thread tension in order to lash down. As such I use a lot of strong, heavy threads such as kevlar or monocord. You should have at least one spool of heavy duty stuff.

+1 for the Kev. I just bought some and tied and egg with it last night and it's awesome. You can pull the **** out of it and it doesn't break. I know people recommend GSP for eggs, but Kevlar is all I could find locally and it works fine.

I use mostly "Gudebrod" and also stocked up when I found out they were no longer going to manufacture it. I have used UNI,UTC and Danville. I use different threads depending on the flys I'm tying. I always liked "Gudebrod" the best and think it was a sad day when they left the market. Besides it was made in Pa!

If you must, try a spool of UTC. Set you back 2 bucks or less. It's a flat thread so you can do a few things with it that you can not do with Uni, like split it and insert dubbing, then twist. Get a heavy version, such as 140, so you can also spin deer hair and other heavy applications if you find your 6/0 Uni is not up to the task.

I would have suggested Monocord, but I don't think it's being made anymore.

In general, the 8/0 UNI is the way to go for most trout flies in my experience. Stick with it unless there is a specific application that requires something else.

Of course, you may want to go the opposite route and get very small, such as the Gordon Griffiths 14/0. That may sound fragile, but it really isn't at all.

So, one spool of UTC 140, and one spool of Gordon Griffiths 14/0.

I am curious about Roman Moser Power Silk, but have never used it. I have tried Kevlar, but lack sufficient experience to say one way or the other. It is very strong and will cut through some materials. It even hesitates a bit when being cut with scissors!

Then go to the craft store and marvel at the metallic threads and wonder about those possibilities, such as tying with it, leaving a long tag, and ribbing with that, even on your dry flies, for that little bit of something different.

Soon, you will have to buy one of those spool racks for the several dozen spools of thread you own, most of which you never use because you always have 8/0 Uni in black, olive, grey, brown or light cahill in your bobbin.

;-)

DGC,

I have a lot of Moser power silk and it is nice stuff, but anymore, witht eh rate exchange you get hosed on the cost. It's like $6 and you don't get very much.

Plus someone talked Hillie's (the previous owners) into carrying these odd colors and now their stock-piled with florecents, but lack the traditional colors. I know the new owners aren't fond of paying the rate inflation and shipping to get stuff that Roman has. Plus Roman hasn't been easy to work with the last couple years.

Power silk might have to be bought at Summerset.

thanks everyone for your input. I am going to try some griffiths 14/0 I mostly use the 8/0 uni for most of my flies except for the steamers and wooly buggers. I use the 6/0 for those. I dont really tie anything smaller than a 20 yet but I am working on it.

Back