Tying Sulphers - Body color

Aducker

Aducker

I'm a little confused on which color to use when tying the body of a sulpher, dry fly. I've seen olive, cream and golden brown used. Maybe there are other colors used.

Which is the most effective color to use for the body in PA?

Thanks.

Delaware River Club yellow spectrimized dubbing. Any yellow dubbing usually will do.

I've done fine with TCO's East Coast Dubbing in sulpher yellow on a variety of streams in this State.

I tie up two different ones. The one I use a distinct orange/yellowbody and the other one I use just a sulpher yellow without an orange tint.

I tie a variety of sulphers in different colors and styles. I tie conventional styles, comparaduns and parachutes. I use a variety of colors, from yellows to oranges. I also use different body materials too, dubbing, quill and biots.
Needless to say I have a pretty stocked sulpher box. Don't limit yourself to one color, they vary on different creeks. Catch a few and try to match it.

Yellow

Just ask a reputable fly shop in sulphur country for the best dubbing, and buy a packet. You'll be fine.

There is some variation in the yellow shade, but I don't think the trout are that fussy about small variations in the yellow color.

I prefer the stronger shades of yellow to the pale, cream yellow shades, but that may just be my preference. The trout probably don't care that much.

buy pale yellow. then use thread to determine hue. orange thread, orange body. green thread, green body. care to guess what it does if you use yellow thread?

now, can someone explain how magnets work?

google-

gfen wrote:
buy pale yellow. then use thread to determine hue. orange thread, orange body. green thread, green body. care to guess what it does if you use yellow thread?

now, can someone explain how magnets work?

Yup, good tip. It works when using all types of light colored and especially translucent dubbing.

If you don't have the correct colored thread, try using white and color it with a permanent marker. If you dub it before dries completely, the color sort of bleeds into the dubbing. Looks good.

Attachments

• magnet magic.JPG
    magnet magic.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 3
Obviously need to contact a Mormon about magnets. Gfen makes a good point about thread color. When I use the DRC dubbing and a darker colored thread the translucency of the body looks damn good when wet. Do the fish care? I dunno ask one.

I also use an orange or red thread underbody when i use dubbing for certain colors, however, I have had better success with sulphurs using yellow and amber turkey biots for the abdomen and then a small amount of dubbing for the thorax.

alot of times you can acctually find dubbing that is named "sulpher dun"

I use a cream color and add amber or olive as needed and just blend it myself.

Gfen's method is very good too, or even a combo of each.

body colour always bleeds through. this is why floss is to be done over white.

pre-use (actually post, but dried none the less)
emerger.jpg

wet. please note the orange thread has bled through (pun not intended) the brown floss and the cream body.
emerger-finger.jpg

compare with real life:
picture_100_large.jpg

your entire point and purpose to this is to create the illusion of life.

Sweet tye Gfen!!!! NICE How much do you charge???

Here is one part of the chart we use for tying, sorry sulphurs are on different pages, not together like the B.W.O.'s....it gives you an idea on threads...

Attachments

• emergence date jack.jpg
    emergence date jack.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
I used to tie some of them with orange bodies - and some yellow.
But I really don't think that it matters much, and have just been tying all sulphers with pale yellow dubbing and thread lately. And they work fine

gfen wrote:
body colour always bleeds through. this is why floss is to be done over white.

pre-use (actually post, but dried none the less)
emerger.jpg

wet. please note the orange thread has bled through (pun not intended) the brown floss and the cream body.
emerger-finger.jpg

compare with real life:
picture_100_large.jpg

your entire point and purpose to this is to create the illusion of life.

antron shuck, floss, gold wire, hares dubbing, snow shoe wing?

what it is is moot. the important part is orange thread, which bleeds through everything else.

thread colour influences everything else. its the primer layer for the rest of the lure.

Back