Tying partridge soft hackles

Rather than starting a new thread about soft hackles (although maybe that‘s a good idea), I’ve been thinking about soft hackle patterns for winter fishing. I’m thinking smaller, darker patterns to imitate early black and brown stoneflies. Does anyone use magpie herl for soft hackle bodies? What would be a substitute for magpie herl?

Also, Robert Smith from the UK recently posted this great looking stone midge soft hackle on his YouTube page. He uses heron herl for the body and mentioned using grey goose as a substitute. Which goose feather would be the type to use for the herl body?

Here is my attempt at the Stone Midge using a crow covert feather for the soft hackle and a few fibers from a primary crow wing feather wrapped on for the herl body. My biggest issue was the covert feathers from a crow wing are just a bit to big for a size 16 hook. However, in the style of the long hackled spiders it may fish well. I kind of like the way the crow herl body worked out.

IMG 9309

Here is my attempt at the Stone Midge using a crow covert feather for the soft hackle and a few fibers from a primary crow wing feather wrapped on for the herl body. My biggest issue was the covert feathers from a crow wing are just a bit to big for a size 16 hook. However, in the style of the long hackled spiders it may fish well. I kind of like the way the crow herl body worked out.

View attachment 1641233217
I think it looks great. Where does one find crow feathers?

I reached out to Robert Smith and he also suggested a herl from a goose shoulder feather in black for the body.

Now what the heck should I do with all of those Sherry Sinner rolls of Pearsall’s silk that everyone said we HAD to have? 🙁

View attachment 1641233216

*Pearsall's Gossamer Pure Silk Thread is the historic fly tying thread used for tying for tying Soft Hackles, Spiders, Wingless Wets and Wet Flies.

😊
I use Pearsall's brown for Stewart's Black Spider.

I think it looks great. Where does one find crow feathers?

I reached out to Robert Smith and he also suggested a herl from a goose shoulder feather in black for the body.

Magpie or jackdaw is a great source for black soft hackle feathers and starling for smaller sized flies.

An excellent LEGAL source of feathers is Steve Cooper at Cookshill Fly Tying in the UK. I've purchased from Steve for years and the quality is excellent.

I also believe he has partridge skins... ;)

Rather than starting a new thread about soft hackles (although maybe that‘s a good idea), I’ve been thinking about soft hackle patterns for winter fishing. I’m thinking smaller, darker patterns to imitate early black and brown stoneflies.

One of my most effective soft hackles is a Snipe & Purple I tie substituting purple wire for the purple Pearsall's thread. The wire gives it a tiny bit of flash and some weight which makes it an effective winter fly. I tie them in a size 16 and they work year-round anytime the urge strikes me and the fish.

As far as purple wire goes and I'm sure it doesn't matter to the fish, nothing offered in the UTC Ultra Wire range is really "purple" to my eye. However, there is a company called Artistic Wire owned by Beadalon, an outfit that caters to artists & crafters.

Artistic makes a perfectly colored purple wire that's available in 34 & 32 gauge which is comparable to the "Brassie" & "Small" sizes of Ultra Wire. Artistic wire is available from multiple sources like Jo-Ann, Michael's, Hobby Lobby as well as tons of online retailers.

Back to the partridge...

I also tie an effective Partridge & Orange, Partridge & Yellow, Partridge & Olive, Partridge & Brown and even a Partridge & Chartreuse that I make using wire instead of thread for the body. You can also wind two colors of wire at the same time for a cool segmented effect...

Have fun!!!

Last edited:
Where does one find crow feathers?
On a crow. 😁 Sorry, I just couldn’t resist on that one! Seriously that’s a legit question. I have procured all of my own crow feathers over the years. When the local flock of crows invades my property I usually sneak out back and a couple of cracks from the 20 guage sends them all on their way very quickly and it’s usually quite some time until they come back. In the process of doing this I generally knock one down. I skin out both wings on the sacrificial crow and borax them. This is how I maintain my supply of crow covert feathers and wing feathers.

Crow covert feathers are found near the very front of the wing kind of like near the shoulder. There are a fairly minimal amount of covert feathers on each wing so when my supply dwindles I need to go out and get another one. These feathers are excellent soft hackle feathers and have been an integral part of one of my best producing carp patterns over the past 10 years. The primary wing feathers can be matched up to tie dark winged wet flies, little black stones or cricket type patterns. I did like the look of these fibers wrapped on the smaller hook to create a dark herl body on the Stone Midge pictured above. Here is a photo of crow covert feather (unprepped).

IMG 9312

Now what the heck should I do with all of those Sherry Sinner rolls of Pearsall’s silk that everyone said we HAD to have? 🙁

View attachment 1641233216

*Pearsall's Gossamer Pure Silk Thread is the historic fly tying thread used for tying for tying Soft Hackles, Spiders, Wingless Wets and Wet Flies.

😊
This will be the same as cards of Chadwick's 477 for the Killer pattern. People will spend big BUCKS for the real stuff!! BUT these same tyers forget that it is not just the yarn that makes the fly! First, they tie the wire on incorrectly (starting at behind the eye of the hook) AND using the wrong copper wire (straight copper vs. electric motor wire) and, most importantly, this fly was designed for use on English chalk streams! Most any aquatic insects species in England are NOT the same as US/Canadian aquatic species and just how many fishers use this fly on OTHER than a chalk stream. The color/action of the yarn MAY help in the UK but across the pond, well...

Kim

BTW, would you like to see me on my soapbox about the PT Nymph pattern?:p

Most any aquatic insects species in England are NOT the same as US/Canadian aquatic species and just how many fishers use this fly on OTHER than a chalk stream.
But most English insects have a near relative with similar appearance here in the US. You'd be hard pressed to see any difference between what the Brits call a Mayfly (Ephemera danica) and what we call a green drake (E. guttulata) for instance. Many of their Baetis species are very similar to ours, including being swimmers that swim with their legs tucked against their sides. What they call a BWO is a relative of our Hendrickson, and is similar in appearance; in fact the males of each species are called red quills, and patterns that work for one will work for the other. English grannom patterns work well here for the grannom hatch. The English needle fly patterns work just as well for out needle flies (e.g. little black stoneflies.)

The Killer Bug represents a crane fly larva. It works equal as well here in streams with a lot of crane flies. I recently found out that Walt's Worm works equally well as crane fly imitation in the UK as it does here. Of course, Walt's is a lot cheaper to tie. (And I've long held that the miracle ingredient in the KB wasn't the Chadwicks; it was the wire -- it sinks like a rock.)

The progression of hatches work the same way as the progression of hatches does here in the US -- small and dark in the winter, larger and browner in early spring, April grays, lighter colors in the summer.

I once spent a year fishing my local stream with nothing but patterns Pritt recommended for each month of the year. I did very well that year.

Ignore English patterns and you'll be missing out on some very effective flies.

Last edited:
Has anyone had success splitting thread and putting the feathers in a dubbing loop? I’ve tried but I think the feathers are jut so fine it’s hard to hold them. I’m always trying to get feathers on a soft hackle collar to an acceptable length. Usually end up stripping them off the stem and tying them in and working them around the collar with my fingers and thread tension. Tedious and never end up with a really symmetrical collar.

Try a small bulldog clamp for the fibers , it works well

But most English insects have a near relative with similar appearance here in the US. You'd be hard pressed to see any difference between what the Brits call a Mayfly (Ephemera danica) and what we call a green drake (E. guttulata) for instance. Many of their Baetis species are very similar to ours, including being swimmers that swim with their legs tucked against their sides. What they call a BWO is a relative of our Hendrickson, and is similar in appearance; in fact the males of each species are called red quills, and patterns that work for one will work for the other. English grannom patterns work well here for the grannom hatch. The English needle fly patterns work just as well for out needle flies (e.g. little black stoneflies.)

The Killer Bug represents a crane fly larva. It works equal as well here in streams with a lot of crane flies. I recently found out that Walt's Worm works equally well as crane fly imitation in the UK as it does here. Of course, Walt's is a lot cheaper to tie. (And I've long held that the miracle ingredient in the KB wasn't the Chadwicks; it was the wire -- it sinks like a rock.)

The progression of hatches work the same way as the progression of hatches does here in the US -- small and dark in the winter, larger and browner in early spring, April grays, lighter colors in the summer.

I once spent a year fishing my local stream with nothing but patterns Pritt recommended for each month of the year. I did very well that year.

It's comforting to know that the same local fish that take Prince Nymphs, Humpies, Power Bait & #1 Mepps Spinners won't turn their noses up at the English patterns...

My Pearsall's is safe for now!! ;)

It's comforting to know that the same local fish that take Prince Nymphs, Humpies, Power Bait & #1 Mepps Spinners won't turn their noses up at the English patterns...
No they don't. I will say, though, that Prince Nymphs and Humpies aren't particular effective on the Gunpowder. (I wouldn't know about Power Bait or Mepps Spinners -- one is illegal there and Mepps are awfully hard to cast with a fly rod.)

At any rate, presentation probably trumps pattern every time.

I had to throw my Starling skin away a few years ago. The smell would clear a room. Pretty nasty. That's only happened with a few of my materials. (one Bucktail and one Calf tail)
Since then I've been using the small dark purple/brown feathers from a Cock Ringneck Pheasant (neck area) If you're looking for a small dark soft hackle feather they work well.

Has anyone had success splitting thread and putting the feathers in a dubbing loop? I’ve tried but I think the feathers are jut so fine it’s hard to hold them. I’m always trying to get feathers on a soft hackle collar to an acceptable length. Usually end up stripping them off the stem and tying them in and working them around the collar with my fingers and thread tension. Tedious and never end up with a really symmetrical collar.
Rather than splitting i just double over and weight the bottom of the loop with a whip finisher or something like that. Place the material between the strands and spin it. They make an actual tool for this but...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202_123538_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_123538_Chrome.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 9

I think that you and I are stating the same point from opposite ends! My point was that some tyers feel that ONLY Chadwick's will do the trick (i.e. - "Perfect" materials for 'perfectly" matched flies.). Save your money and tie near matched materials for nearly matched fly patterns. I have seen "Killer-style" flies tied using colored yarns that are effective. Besides, I have read that over 1 million new fly patterns are developed each year on this Earth and they each represent a new way to catch a fish! So save your money, tie using similar materials, tie your version of the pattern, and go catch a fish (or at least give your fish a vote!).

Kim

BTW, on the famous PT nymph - how many of you out there tie it using the tail of a male Common Pheasant and how many use a male Ringneck Pheasant tail? The Common 1) is NOT in the chicken family-Ringnecks are, and 2) though similar in colorization, the Common has a browner tail - one that best matches the mayflies from the chalk streams.

Sort of reminds me of "urine stained fur from the underbelly of a vixen..."

Art Flick had me so concerned, I took to pi$$ing on my stash of fox fur because I thought it was that important... ;)

Sort of reminds me of "urine stained fur from the underbelly of a vixen..."

Art Flick had me so concerned, I took to pi$$ing on my stash of fox fur because I thought it was that important... ;)
I recently saw patches of urine stained vixen fur selling for 100 to 150 bucks at the Beaverkill Angler in Roscoe depending I guess on the quality of the stain.

On a crow. 😁 Sorry, I just couldn’t resist on that one! Seriously that’s a legit question. I have procured all of my own crow feathers over the years. When the local flock of crows invades my property I usually sneak out back and a couple of cracks from the 20 guage sends them all on their way very quickly and it’s usually quite some time until they come back. In the process of doing this I generally knock one down. I skin out both wings on the sacrificial crow and borax them. This is how I maintain my supply of crow covert feathers and wing feathers.

Crow covert feathers are found near the very front of the wing kind of like near the shoulder. There are a fairly minimal amount of covert feathers on each wing so when my supply dwindles I need to go out and get another one. These feathers are excellent soft hackle feathers and have been an integral part of one of my best producing carp patterns over the past 10 years. The primary wing feathers can be matched up to tie dark winged wet flies, little black stones or cricket type patterns. I did like the look of these fibers wrapped on the smaller hook to create a dark herl body on the Stone Midge pictured above. Here is a photo of crow covert feather (unprepped).

View attachment 1641233227
I’m not sure how much difference there‘d be in the finished fly, but if you’d want to use the authentic Indian Crow called for on certain salmon fly patterns I see these Indian Crow feathers (looks like 3 feathers) are currently bid at $21.00+ on EBay, plus tax and shipping. Personally, I think your Lancaster County crow feather is prettier.

IMG 3601

Magpie or jackdaw is a great source for black soft hackle feathers and starling for smaller sized flies.
Here is one of my all time favorite wet flies over the years. It’s called the Usk Naylor and it calls for some fancy kind of blue hen soft hackle feather (very similar to dark blue dun) that I don’t have. I have always substituted jackdaw for the hackle and it is a great early season wet fly. If I’m fishing a 3 wet fly rig in the Spring when the fish are getting active and working the mid part of the water column there’s a real good chance that the Usk Naylor is a player on it. I have only one spool of Pearsall’s silk left in purple and it’s pretty much dedicated to tying this fly. I’m also running low on the bronze mallard with only 2 feathers left. This fly has put a lot of fish in the net for me over many years.

IMG 9315

BTW, on the famous PT nymph - how many of you out there tie it using the tail of a male Common Pheasant and how many use a male Ringneck Pheasant tail? The Common 1) is NOT in the chicken family-Ringnecks are, and 2) though similar in colorization, the Common has a browner tail - one that best matches the mayflies from the chalk streams.
Ring neck pheasant is another namethe common pheasant. We imported them from Europe; the Europeans imported them from Asia.

Back