Tying for spring

My favorite GD pattern.

Attachments

• DSCN0311-152x111.jpg
    DSCN0311-152x111.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 3
Nice, tan hair body works well for the duns..Is that cree?

I tied something similar to that for the brown drakes last year... just had a dark brown elk hair as a body. Both the duns and the spinners worked well once it got dark.

Al Caucci`s dubbing called spectrum dubbing is based on color prism i believe, the late bob nastasi, his partner, was an artist and art director , if i`m not mistaken i believe he uses just four or five colors of different blends to come up with colors to match each speices, he developed them for the picky fish on the big d,

Emerging Sulphur

Attachments

• DSC_0881_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0881_edited-1.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 4
Dave,

Is that antron?

I've heard you'll be tying in Allentown again soon. Looking forward to it.

Before the spinnerfall last year at the JAM I had a good amount of strikes on an emerger pattern. It was just my caddis emerger in a light color, but didn't get anything on a typical catskill. I think I'm going to tie a real sulphur emerger this year and that one looks pretty good. Is the antron wrapped a few times to get the darker section on the back end and then extended for the shuck?

Antron to suggest the thorax, legs, abdomen and tails as would be seen on the shuck. Body is @ 2/3 emerged.

There have been a few times fish seemed a bit interested ;-)

He put a slide of that up in his presentation, and I was blown away at how good it looked.

Another awsome tie Dave! I want a set of the Dave Rothrock collectors series flies as a show piece. How much would you need for it?

well since were on the subject and jayl told me how to take pics of flies , and i even talked the wife into putting them on here ...lmao , here is a early sulfur , and sulfur emerger , i would say they will catch fish , you guys be the judge

Attachments

• 102_3556.JPG
    102_3556.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 102_3553.JPG
    102_3553.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 3
i like that sulfer emerger whats the recipe if you dont mind that is....

actually simple , basically can use anything for the tail when they are that small & under water , the body is brown dyed hackle herl , the thorax is cream dubbing (dry fly ) the hackle is light dun or wht or light ginger , can be tied many different ways , i would make the thorax a little darker yellow if it was to immitate the invaria or rotunda , this one is for the later dorothea , smaller & lighter arround here. might be different where your at thats all

danke

Nice ties troutslammer. Is that hackle wrapped over the whole thorax so it hangs perpendicular in the film?

littlelehigh ,
that would be correctomundo , the thorax is right at the top of the water , when it pops the mayfly emergers so it doesn't get its body wet when at this stage, makes for a very good immitation at the right time

An emerger pattern I have been using for the past two years with lots of success.

Attachments

• Photos 042 compressed.jpg
    Photos 042 compressed.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 3
What kind of hook is that, skyblue? Did you bend it yourself?

Swiming Nymph or Weamer Hook.

You can also bend yourself.

is that tie for the blue quills ? looks good

Back