Tying Back Problems

A few years ago I started standing up to tie and haven't had a stiff back since. I have a book case that is about 50' tall or so and I have a portable tying table sitting on that. I sit so much during the day at my job I don't mind the hour or two standing while tying.

Lower the overall height of the vise. Works best, if fly is approximately same height as belly button.

fly_flinger wrote:
A few years ago I started standing up to tie and haven't had a stiff back since. I have a book case that is about 50' tall or so and I have a portable tying table sitting on that. I sit so much during the day at my job I don't mind the hour or two standing while tying.

You must be the world's tallest human.

BrookieChaser wrote:
fly_flinger wrote:

You must be the world's tallest human.

Haha. Guess I didn't hit the shift key.

I built a rod two weekends ago. My back felt fine during the 8 plus hour wrapping session, no fatigue or soreness, but boy my back pain and butt numbness since has been horrific.

I usually tie on my coffee table and sitting on the couch. I found that my back/neck tend to stiffen if I don't move them after a while, even if its getting a drink and sitting back down. I always thought concentrating on tying and moving a limited amount of my body attributed to my pain. The pain was worse in other places I have tried tying (kitchen table, kitchen island). I really need to get a desk and adjustable chair.

I'm intrigued by the number of people suffering with the same problem. Has anyone ever taken their vise to their chiropractor or an expert in ergonomics and asked for a hands on advice?

^now theres an idea!!

When I drive truck I put the air ride in the seat all the way down. It didn't take me long to learn it helps with back/neck pain from leaning over the steering wheel all the time. I recently bought a desk chair and lower it the whole way down at my tying desk now. It seems to help.

Back