Tying Back Problems

F

fisherboy3

So after about a half hour of tying, my upper and middle back start to hurt. Im not sure if it is the vise height, or if I am too far away from it. I tie on a regal pedestal vise. Any solutions? Ive looked into a vise extender. What do you guys think?
Kev

So far I have found Aleve to work the best...if anyone has any suggestions that would help that would be amazing because I definitely have the same issue.

Yup, same here but in my neck. It's like my posture goes to poo, after a couple flies. Short term solutions...vicodin, whiskey, and some heavy metal to head bang the kinks out!

J55tyger88 wrote:
Yup, same here but in my neck. It's like my posture goes to poo, after a couple flies. Short term solutions...vicodin, whiskey, and some heavy metal to head bang the kinks out!

Boom, there it is. Glass of wine and a ibuprofen.

But seriously as RCFetter said. Chiropractor.

GenCon

Found this:

To prevent that back pain that comes between the shoulder blades when you spend a lot of time tying, use an office chair with arm rest. Also, get a Dyna King height adjustor and lower the vise. This will allow you to rest your forearms on the arm rest while you tie.

I would have guessed a lower vise would cause back pain because you're more hunched over, but I confirmed that a lower vise or higher chair can help. Get a computer or an adjustable chair

Washington Fly Fishing Forum
A.K. Best pointed out years ago that the ideal tying position was to allow the upper arm to hang almost vertically from the shoulder with the forearms at close to ninety degrees. After many years of suffering pain between the shoulder blades after a lengthy period of tying, I got the message.

Take a break after a fly or two and enjoy the moment.

Buy a better, adjustable chair.

Experiment with different chair heights/vise heights and proximity to the vise.

Back exercises to strengthen your muscles.

Invent a time machine and get younger.

You probably just don't have the best set up when it comes to ergonomics and your bad posture at the vice is taking it's toll on you. Could be anything from your desk/table to your vice height to the chair you sit in.

My fly tying spot is not designed in any way for tying flies. If I spend a few hours tying, I'll probably be a little stiff afterwards. Saturday afternoon two Fat Tires helped me. Aleve and something 80 proof or better is usually good if you've been at it for awhile.

try lowering the height of your vise

Im going to look into a vise adjuster. Or get a different chair.

Do some reading about ergonomics. You can find a lot of good articles on the web by searching for "office ergonomics''.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/office-ergonomics/art-20046169

I worked for a company that actually hired an ergonomics consultant. The guy came around and helped people adjust chairs, keyboard holders, computer screens & etc.

Definitely helped me with some wrist, neck & back issues.

Fly tying is a repetitive motion practice. Get your chair and vice height right. Get your posture sorted out. It will make the whole experience better.

When you feel better you tie better...

its all in how you sit, you have to adjust till you find the right spot in tying. I tie on a stool looking down at my vise.

What sandfly said. I like to have the vise head at a level that is at about the height of my heart when sitting. The vice sits close to my body so I do not have to reach out far, nor do I have to reach up, or down. I sit very close to the table as well so I am not leaning forward at all and just let the back of the chair do its' job.

Put both your hands over your heart, then reach slightly out in front of you, maybe a foot or less. That seems to be my sweet spot for vice location.

Frank

I have the same issue. I don't tie much because of it.

I had the same problem for A number of years, A few months ago I finally broke down and got A better more comfortable chair. All I can say is it was worth it. The back problems stopped and I have tied more flies this winter than I have in years. Also I have switched from having coffee or beer while tying and now have Jim Beam on the rocks, and I do believe that helps too.

I just assumed everyone's back bothered them a little when tying. I just treat it like working out, I'm not leaving my vice until I hit the number of flies I had set as my goal. Then I reward myself with some beer or wine and my comfortable couch.

I have seemed to solve the problem. My vise was too low, and not enough lumbar support. So i took my tempurpedic pillow and stuff it between my back and the chair, and raised my vise up. My buddy said that his chiro told him that if you tie looking down, your head will cause strain on the shoulders and back muscles due to its weight.

office chairs rule...but don't get one with big arm rests...keep them small.

Dynaking has a mount to pull the vise off the table (extension). They are nice. After that getting your height situated you should be good to go.

Sit high and keep your arms more straight out than reaching up. Higher you reach the more stress you put on yourself.

Too high and your neck pays for it. You'll stoop over the vice.

Hunch over and you'll get all jacked up. Lean forward same game.

Interesting that some of you feel better when the vise is lower and some, like the OP, need it higher. As a new tyer with recent lower back surgery, I find I'm getting both headaches and a knot/pain around my right scapula. I think I need to remember to relax my neck and back muscles.

I have an office chair that adjusts and I tried putting the vise lower but then I couldn't see as well! I'm struggling to find a position that lets me see closely without causing pain. But, I'll keep experimenting. The answer is out there, somewhere. Meanwhile, I'll take Tyger's advice.

Back