Tying a Mosquito

S

ShearMadness

I'm having trouble figuring out the materials for the mosquito. I watched the youtube video from "in the riffle" on how to tie it.

What are grizzly tips?

What is he using for the body? A stripped feather

I have a pack of Whiting grizzly hackle. Is this what I should be using?

Thanks

"Grizzly tips" are just what they sound like -- the ends of grizzly hackle feathers. You may want to use hen grizzly to get broader (less pointy) wings, but that's up to you.

The there are two different materials that can be used for the body of a material. Either use the stem of a grizzly hackle (just strip off all the barbs) or moose mane (use a black and a white piece.)

I'm not sure what you have in a "pack" of hackle. You'll need dry fly hackle from either the neck or saddle of a rooster for the hackle part and the wings should probably be made of hackles from a hen. You can use the stem of one of the hackles that you took the wings from for the body.

A mosquito is effective fly and fairly easy to tie. Good luck with it.

i think he explains all of the materials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQOR2bajiNw

redietz wrote:
A mosquito is effective fly and fairly easy to tie. Good luck with it.

Never had much luck with mosquito patterns myself. I always figured fish must have a pact with mosquitos: the enemy of my enemy is my friend, so they leave each other alone. :pint:

I've never thought a mosquito (the pattern) looks any thing like a mosquito (the living insect). No real mosquito has a tail and upright wings.

OTOH, I've caught a lot of trout on the pattern, in both the East and out West. I more view it as a simplified version of an Adams.

they gone, mean they lost in the green foliage,
(strangely) I still make the flies

Back