Tying a fly on

afishinado wrote:
I'm a FFing geek and experiment with and test everything.

I've found you need more turns for lighter tippet and of course less for heavier tippet to tie the strongest clinch knots without weakening line.

I've landed on 1 turn +1 for each "X" of tippet e.g. 3x = 4 turns / 4x = 5 turns / 5x = 6 turns / 6x = 7 turns.

Give it a try along with cinching up the knot slowly and firmly as well as wetting it before cinching as you have been doing.

Good luck.

I really want to give this a try but don't think I can, I always use 7 turns because it's lucky number. :lol:

I have had this happen with more with certain spools. I get a new one and sometimes it's not as bad.

that's awfully nice of you. I'll get that envelope in the mail tomorrow!

Got the leaders today. That was very nice of you.
Thank You, I appreciate it.
Tuz

I've had this occur and the knot break when I'm bringing in a fish. Even when I don't get the "flat curl" I have had clinch knots give out.

I've since gone to nail knots for tying on flys. Not much additional time and a much stronger knot.

I watched an interesting video on knot strength recently which I wish I could find again. The tester used a machine to level the field and I was chagrined to find that the improved clinch which I have been using for years on my flies was the weakest of the seven knots tested. My spin and ice fishing I almost never use it going with a Trilene or Palomar in most cases. From now on I will go with the Trilene on my flies (unless I need a loop knot); it actually tested the best of the seven. BTW the clinch knot tested higher than the improved.

Back