Tying a fly on

T

Tuz

Lately when I tie a fly on I get little squiggly line just in front of my fly.
I'm using a clinch knot. I've tried tying slower, wetting the knot, even using chap stick. Anybody got any ideas? I hate this and I think the fish can see it on slower waters.
Thanks

Are you twisting the fly 6 (or however many times) or wrapping the tag and around the line? If you are twisting the fly dont do that, wrap the tag end around the line.

I wouldn't be as worried about fish seeing it as I would be as getting broken off. The way you describe it, the line is probably weakened at the twisty section you see.

Tuz wrote:
Lately when I tie a fly on I get little squiggly line just in front of my fly.
I'm using a clinch knot. I've tried tying slower, wetting the knot, even using chap stick. Anybody got any ideas? I hate this and I think the fish can see it on slower waters.
Thanks

Sounds like you are doing all the right things ^

Very soft nylon mono has a tendency to curl, while fluorocarbon doesn't so much.

How many turns are you making around your tippet?...maybe too many.

I'm a FFing geek and experiment with and test everything.

I've found you need more turns for lighter tippet and of course less for heavier tippet to tie the strongest clinch knots without weakening line.

I've landed on 1 turn +1 for each "X" of tippet e.g. 3x = 4 turns / 4x = 5 turns / 5x = 6 turns / 6x = 7 turns.

Give it a try along with cinching up the knot slowly and firmly as well as wetting it before cinching as you have been doing.

Good luck.

I have noticed a significant difference in line curl between using a standard vs improved clinch knot. I get much less curl using the standard clinch knot but it sounds like you are already doing that.

It most definitely sounds to me like "like burn." One of the most important part of snugging up certain knots is that you make sure they seat properly. A clinch knot is actually very strong if you go through the steps to make sure you sure the knot properly. In your case it sounds as if the friction of cinching up the knot is burning the line. Moisten the line/knot with saliva and then carefully snug up the knot.

Your mono is flattening out (why I use fluoro) which may be related to the brand you use however, BEFORE you tighten up the knot, try sliding the wraps around the line, down to the eye of the hook.

That will leave less line to be flat-spotted by the wraps when you tighten the knot up.

Use saliva and go slow and just pull tight once the knot is set and the tag is jammed.

Good luck!!

first question:

what knot are you using?

Yes, this happens with some but not all tippet material. With out mentioning names, some of the biggest tippet sellers actually have the worst material. It may be listed as strong but seems over rated.

I am no scientist but have tied well over a million knots, used just about every type and make of tippet and yes I have a favorite. Not because I prefer it, because in my work or building leaders I have found it is the best. So, the good stuff hanging on fly shop walls, some is good and some just junk.

Junk usually can be exploited through large commercial campaigns, huge ads, fishing videos, promotions, Fly fishing shows etc.

Funny how 8 cents worth of line sells for $4.95 for 27 yards. If I am not using it, it is for a reason! To convince you, not a chance, advertisement sold you "all the way".

So, you want junk leaders, buy theirs, Top quality, well search for mine!

In my 34th year of getting tied up with mono! And yes, fluoro is worse. However I do use a fluoro that I feel is the best.

Oh, by the way, it is not your knot, knot tying ability, or spit. Use up your material and move to another untill you are satisfied.

As someone already mentioned, moistening the knot before clinching it up should help.

Also agree with with above post. Not all tippet material is alike.
Not gonna say the brands I don't like.
But I've been a fan of Orvis SS for a long time. It's all I use

maxima12 wrote:
Yes, this happens with some but not all tippet material. With out mentioning names, some of the biggest tippet sellers actually have the worst material. It may be listed as strong but seems over rated.

I am no scientist but have tied well over a million knots, used just about every type and make of tippet and yes I have a favorite. Not because I prefer it, because in my work or building leaders I have found it is the best. So, the good stuff hanging on fly shop walls, some is good and some just junk.

Junk usually can be exploited through large commercial campaigns, huge ads, fishing videos, promotions, Fly fishing shows etc.

Funny how 8 cents worth of line sells for $4.95 for 27 yards. If I am not using it, it is for a reason! To convince you, not a chance, advertisement sold you "all the way".

So, you want junk leaders, buy theirs, Top quality, well search for mine!

In my 34th year of getting tied up with mono! And yes, fluoro is worse. However I do use a fluoro that I feel is the best.
Maxima,
Everyone knows you are knowledgable about leaders. Are you reluctant about naming the best ones due to your commercial business? If so that’s fine.

But on the other hand, to the point you made, I have a brand I like already based on trial and error and it is not a name brand. But my main requirement is that it doesn’t break easily for its size and it doesn’t break down sitting in my vest until it’s needed again.

Orvis SuperStrong doesn't seem to have this problem very much.

But also, I now very rarely use tippet lighter than 5x.

The problem is more common with light tippets.

dryflyguy wrote:Not all tippet material is alike.
Not gonna say the brands I don't like.
But I've been a fan of Orvis SS for a long time. It's all I use
troutbert wrote:
Orvis SuperStrong doesn't seem to have this problem very much.
Add me to the Orvis Super Strong fan club too!

I started using it on a recommendation when it first came out which was a LONG time ago. I've never found a reason to switch after all these years. It is the only mono tippet material I use...

...even though I may have only tied a half a million knots. ;-)

Thanks everybody for the input. I'll work on it and try different brands. And implement your suggestions.
Hey Maxima - Come on man!- give it up! What's your favorite?
Thanks again.

Thanks everybody for the input. I'll work on it and try different brands. And implement your suggestions.
Hey Maxima - Come on man!- give it up! What's your favorite?
Thanks again.

tuz, send a blank letter to p o box 2 muncy pa 17756. with return address, you got it! I will send some leaders! tuz I want to!

aint that for the birds!

Maxima12

I like fishing because "it is fun".

I like Pa, because it lets me have fun and like female flyfishers because I am tired at looking at trees and birds!

Maxima12

Back